• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need new bag, non-backpack

Vega

Backstory: when I bought my DD Ranger I only considered 2 things... it was on sale and I really really wanted a bag. So I got it. Now, 6 months later, I can't really say I'm an unhappy customer.. But I've finally come to accept I don't LOVE it. It has plenty of space for extra things, but I don't carry many extra things! I gladly give up my enormous top pocket for more putters. It's very ergonomic, but get this, I paid attention to my packing habits for a whole 18 hole round, and I realized I spend less than 10% of the time with it on my back. Most of the time I'm carrying with one arm or on one shoulder. And the color isn't ugly, but it's just not my favorite either. I'm just 'mildly satisfied' with my bag so I want to make a change!

Now I know how to Google and I've spent my fair time in forums and I know these posts are abundant, but I'm after something a bit different.. I realized since I spend so little time with it on my back, I could switch off of backpacks and pick up something with more capacity! The Innova Discarrier really interests me, but the design is just a little bit stale. So finally, the question: What alternative non-backpack bags are there out there similar to the Innova Discarrier? Large capacity and cooler designs and colors?

P.S. Yes I'm strongly considering a DIY bag, and if you're really for that method, what NON-DG bags would you suggest?

Thanks guys!

The revolution bags are probably the highest quality non-backpack bags. Definitely a step up from a discarrier, but more than double the price.

Have had a discarrier 6yrs and still goin strong. Just sayin'

Some suggestions, by no means exhaustive in scope:
The big over-the-shoulder bag is not a big seller nowadays, but a few companies offer them, like the Voodoo Karma, the GB Kong, the Fade Tourney bag and the Lat64 Pro bag. All good choices and I'm certain that I missed some other choices. Most have some really cool colors.
As far as the DIY's, most of them have been backpacks, so no good suggestions there.
Hope this helps

, I paid attention to my packing habits for a whole 18 hole round, and I realized I spend less than 10% of the time with it on my back. Most of the time I'm carrying with one arm or on one shoulder.
This is why I failed with two DIY packs and was reluctant to try another backpack. The Innova Deluxe is a fantastic bag. It holds lots of discs for its footprint and has some extra storage without being too much. Only weakness really is the putter pocket that I only was able to carry 1 putter in. Two were just too tight. Even though I bought a Rebel, I can see me using the Deluxe some in the future.

After playing for a year and getting better and wanting to play more, I've decided to get a cart as I now do not enjoy carrying anything while I play. This may be an option for you as you can get some cheap on craigslist and continue to use your current bag.

The gorilla boy bags are all awesome. I'd also look at the voodoo bags, and revo

Voodoo makes solid traditional style bags in nice looking colors.

That's what I'd be leaning towards if I were in the market for one. Revo makes quality bags, but I always had a few quibbles about the design, especially for the price. They've raised their prices even more in recent years, so I don't see much incentive to choose them over others.

Sorry for the delay on the response. I really like the Voodoo, just not ready to commit that price just yet until I have all my options weighed! I'm looking to carry at least 23 discs counting putters. I'm still in a stage where I carry a few molds outside my cookie cutters because I like to continually try new discs. If I can find a bag that fits my description and will hold anything up to 30, that'd be great. I believe having that many discs offers few disadvantages to me even if I never throw some of them, for practice or crazy rare shots.

I've always been interested in No Excuses bags... for me, really would like more info on the half pack, but seems they can make just about anything you want over there, which might be the way to go if you have something specific in mind.