• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need to replace an awesome firm wizard, anode?

limonsock

Bogey Member
So I just lost my favorite wizard while practicing. Im thinking maybe this was a sign from the DG heavens, telling me its time to switch putters after years of putting mediocrity. Ive been enjoying my lightweight aviar while practicing recently, so I'm thinking something less overstable than the Wizard. Unfortunately, the aviar is too understable to drive. I think the anode sounds like it might be the best of both worlds, glidey and slightly understable for long putts, but still drivable on straight lines. Does this sound about right to Anode lovers? What are some weights that people are throwing for drives?
Furthermore, I used this wizard on 60% of my approach shots; mainly because i could flick it very straight and accurately about 150-200ft. How is the anode for flicks? Would an ion be better? Something totally different?
In addition, I've heard lots of grip concerns with mvp plastic in variable weather; which mvp plastic seems to be the most reliable?
Finally, does anyone have any other disc recommendations that transitioned smoothly out of their wizard phases? I would really love to replace this with another super stiff and hard wizard; but years of searching haven't produced any results. This is another reason i'm thinking its time to move away from this disc.

Medium Wizards are hard but nick easily and Gateway and consistency don't really go well together. Some have issues with the transition curve of the MVP putters from the rim to the flight plate. No MVP putter avoids slickness issues. So YMMV is the reality and the stronger your grip is the safer you are with them. Ion FHs better and Anode is more resistant to unclean releases and probably other forms of OAT but they are so close that plastic varieties and different variations of Ions may tip the HSS and LSS relations of the Ion vs Anode around. Soft vs normal versions play a part. In general Ion is more versatile thanks to the easier FH performance but BH the Anode is easier to drive with. I have both from 166 to 173 IIRC and the lightest ones are great for putting and 170-173 are great for driving.

Personally BH driving i vastly prefer the flight of a purely flying Ion and Anode over the Wizard and the same goes for putting thanks to the lower power requirement.

I have no luck driving with any version when it is wet or cold. I have trouble hanging onto discs for optimal pivot.

a yeti might be what you're looking for. straight flier off the tee and it has a bead like you're use to.

Gateway has been running some nice plastic lately, so I would first suggest fondling some at your local retailer before switching from a mold you have lots of experience with. Secondly, the anode will fly similar to what you are looking for but it does not handle oat very well. Also, when I tested putting with the mvp discs it was a challenge for me to adjust. Wizards have some pretty noticeable drop to their putting putting line and the mvp stuff stayed in the air pretty well. Next, if you came from a stiff wizard then the yeti is going to be quite a bit softer than you are used too. Finally, as was mentioned earlier, the mvp putters IMO really need to be dry to grip well, especially when driving.

So, tldr, good luck finding a replacement for your go to approach disc.

The SS Wizards I've been getting from DGC lately have been of the chalky type plastic that's nice and firm.

awesome ill check out some ss's. Im not even sure which plastic the one I lost was, just stiff and awesome

I have older chalky Wizard that is soft and gets grippier when it is wet but it will bend soon. Like in the first or first few drives it is strictly a putting putter. Softs and softer blends from Gateway are not good for driving for long.

Soft anodes carry farther with less effort for me. My med anode drops sooner for me on putts than a soft does. I don't have any problem driving them unless I get OATy.

The anode can get just a touch slick, but it isnt too big of a problem for me. I would pick one up for sure. Atleast give it a shot

Latest posts