• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New batch of DX plastic?

Rat_

Bogey Member
Has anyone played with the newer DX runs, and noticed a change in the consistency or durability?

Last week I picked up a new DX Viking that felt extra grippy/flexible, like regular DX with some latex added. It was a very noticeable difference from ones I got 5 months ago. While I liked the extra grip it was very very easily gouged/nicked.

My new Viking didn't have the flight stats on the stamp like I have seen on some newer DX discs so it's possible it wasn't "new" DX but just a weird batch from a little while ago.

Thanks

-Rat

you might be on to something here. I grabbed a DX Roc the other day and it felt odd. not rigid, almost flippy, with a little more grip. definitely different but i wasn't in a place where i could grab other DX Roc's to compare so i just wrote it off.

i don't have any DX in play though, so meh! :p

I imagine if it doesn't have the ugly flight ratings on it, I try and get disc without it lol, then it might be an older run disc. The Rocs I have gotten from tournaments lately haven't felt any different to me but there is know way of knowing how long the clubs holding the tournaments had them sitting around.

Dave is adding more R-Pro to the Dx discs. This makes them softer and more translucent than the older ones.
It makes most of the discs fly different than they used to.
Old Dx is still better stuff though. :|

Yea I found a new dx Valk that was gummy and grippy with no ratings on it and the innova logo wasnt the new one.

Dave is adding more R-Pro to the Dx discs. This makes them softer and more translucent than the older ones.

:thmbdown: this better not be true

dave D messin with mah DX plastic. Just keep the rocs stiff please.

Sounds like a way to sell more DX discs IMO.

lol I was just going to joke that they are secretly working on R-DX. "Hey; you effing with my Teebirds innova?" *shakesfistsmiley*

a dx roc i recently picked up feels like, and is about as durable as candle wax. not very stable at full power either.

I have a tourney stamped dx Aviar from April that's like this.

I'm less convinced that it's an intentional change as much as it is a simple fact of Innova getting a batch of DX plastic from their supplier that was of a different consistency.

I think they are trying to push people into buying more champ and star. I guess I am assuming that most expensive + highest profit margin.

I think they are trying to push people into buying more champ and star. I guess I am assuming that most expensive + highest profit margin.

Def. "Oh man my DX's don't last as long as they used to...Guess I better invest in the premium plastic instead"

Had a convo with a friend the other day, We're convinced that if Innova ever invented the "perfect" plastic that didn't need to break in and never became beat that they would never release it because people would stop buying in the volume they do now.

Idk that's just my 6-pack fueled theory lol. But to get back on topic If it's true they're mixing more R-Pro in these days, I think it's because a. They want to make DX discs even more beginner friendly and easy to grip/throw, and B. Like I said before less durable DX = People having to buy more replacements.

My last batch of DX Aeros felt soft and sticky but as they've aged they stiffened and hardened. After about eight months, they feel normal now. I think they were just that fresh out of the mold.

Def. "Oh man my DX's don't last as long as they used to...Guess I better invest in the premium plastic instead"

Had a convo with a friend the other day, We're convinced that if Innova ever invented the "perfect" plastic that didn't need to break in and never became beat that they would never release it because people would stop buying in the volume they do now.

it's called CE, and it was kinda a big deal.

Not that i don't believe you but where did you find out about this? I think i need to get on the pdga boards an start reading the "ask dave" thread, no?

Latest posts