• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Disc Idea from Ozone Discs

In the configuration where the heavy ring is on the outside and the lightest weight is on the inside you get an extremely gyroscopic disc. This makes the disc very stable and resistant to change and adds less high speed turn and more low speed fade. This will provide the most distance potential in headwinds.

A disc with more weight towards the center becomes less gyroscopic and and also allows for the disc to spin faster. Think of an ice skater pulling their arms in when they go into a spin. This faster spin creates more high speed turn. However because it is less gyroscopic it will be more susceptible to change and will have less low speed fade. So this configuration could be used for tailwinds or more dynamic turn shots and hyzer flips.

i completely agree with this, but i will warn you that many people on this forum will not. ill be first in line when you guys release some. i think this line of thinking is a great innovation, and cant wait to see what you come up with!

i completely agree with this, but i will warn you that many people on this forum will not. ill be first in line when you guys release some. i think this line of thinking is a great innovation, and cant wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks Nolan! Hopefully once our disc is released we can convince more people that this theory actually holds true! So far testing has proved we are correct but until people actually see the results in person there will always be skeptics and rightfully so. Because of all of the factors that go into disc flight it is hard to conceptualize exactly how a disc is going to fly based on the physics alone and we are excited to get this disc in players hands and show what is possible first hand!

Thanks buddy, doing better than I expected honestly. Not constantly fulfilling orders, but doing more than just my 1-2 disc/day average lol

Same here. Hopefully things will really pick up with the warmer weather for all of us.

This is the kind of innovation our sport needs! These would be awesome for teaching disc golf in a PE class or starting a high school DG club. Especially if you guys go ahead with the unapproved version where ring customization can be done by the thrower.

This is the kind of innovation our sport needs! These would be awesome for teaching disc golf in a PE class or starting a high school DG club. Especially if you guys go ahead with the unapproved version where ring customization can be done by the thrower.

Thanks skizzle! Yeah that is true it would make a great learning tool and even a cool physics project to learn about. This could get some more kids interested once they know that discs can be dynamic and that you can shape throws. As more and more ideas come up we are definitely seeing a need for the unapproved version with the customizable inserts. I think we will definitely make this version once our competition version gets off the ground.

New Prototype

Haven't posted in a bit and just wanted to give a quick prototype update. I am currently waiting for some new parts for my 3D printer which should be in this week. Also I ordered some new colored filaments other than black so we can decide what color to make our first actual injection molded prototypes. Those prototypes are still on schedule for early April. Finally I wanted to mention that we are currently developing a new putter mold. We feel like our technology would really help the P&A shots where feel and consistency are so important. We think having two or more putters that feel exactly the same with slightly different stability right out of the factory without having to break them in separately could be a huge benefit. Let us know what you think.

Latest Prototype

Parts finally came in for the printer and I was able to get a new prototype printed. I am now printing up a second one so that we can do some comparison testing. Here is a pic of the latest spin.

117wppy.jpg

I'm excited about the mid. The idea behind the gyroscopic properties is pretty cool. It's nice to see something new come to the table and I like the idea of having my mids feel the same.

I'd be interested in the putter as well if it's still stable enough for approaches and drives. I don't like changing putting putters too often and think I'm pretty set for the foreseeable future.

I'm excited about the mid. The idea behind the gyroscopic properties is pretty cool. It's nice to see something new come to the table and I like the idea of having my mids feel the same.

I'd be interested in the putter as well if it's still stable enough for approaches and drives. I don't like changing putting putters too often and think I'm pretty set for the foreseeable future.

Zendragon thanks for the feedback. We will definitely try to make the putter stable enough to drive with.

Disc Update

Just wanted to give a small update on the current status of our debut mold! Currently we have completed our first molded sample and the sample turned out great. Unfortunately the weight was a little higher than we anticipated based on the volume calculations. This extra weight would have caused us to not meet PDGA regulations. Because we worked with our manufacturer on the CAD drawings and we were ensured that the discs would be able to meet the required weight with tolerances that would keep us within spec, they are taking responsibility and diligently working to correct the mold/material to get us back within spec. We expected to receive our first completed samples by now but this setback is pushing us out what seems to be a few weeks. Hopefully all gets resolved soon and we can get these discs in players hands for feedback! Here is an image of the uncolored molded sample.

140c5yx.png

Newest Samples are in!

The newest molded samples have arrived today! Next step is color and getting the inserts made to fit the final production measurements. Shouldn't be long before these prototypes are available. Subscribers to our newsletter are going to get first dibs on the available prototypes so if you havent already, go to ozonediscs.com sign up for our newsletter!

1zokp6r.jpg

This is definitely a very cool idea! I really like the customization capabilities a lot.
My first question is in reference to the rings in the (hopefully) PDGA approved discs, if someone is running a Tourney, will there be some sort of seal or anything to show if the rings have been compromised and switched out with personal customs?

Also do you have any ideas on potential price?

How have your prototypes breaking in? Looking at the pictures obviously the places for inserts are much thinner in the original mold, so have those spots broken in quicker than the other parts of the disc, or do the inserts help the wear to be gradual across the board? Or does the difference in depth not make a difference?

And lastly what plastic would you compare yours with?

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks for taking part in advancing the game! I'm a huge fan of new start up companies and helping the small business get off the ground :)

This is definitely a very cool idea! I really like the customization capabilities a lot.
My first question is in reference to the rings in the (hopefully) PDGA approved discs, if someone is running a Tourney, will there be some sort of seal or anything to show if the rings have been compromised and switched out with personal customs?

Right now there is no seal. The thought is that the inserts will be bonded well enough that if anyone tries to take them out it would potentially damage the disc. We are thinking that when we submit the discs to the technical standards committee that is one of the things they will test for, making sure the rings are not easily removed.

Also do you have any ideas on potential price?

We are going to keep the price similar to other premium discs on the market. We have not finalized the price yet but it will be somewhere in the $15-20 range.

How have your prototypes breaking in? Looking at the pictures obviously the places for inserts are much thinner in the original mold, so have those spots broken in quicker than the other parts of the disc, or do the inserts help the wear to be gradual across the board? Or does the difference in depth not make a difference?

The prototype samples that we received last week were the first that we have tested. Because of this we haven't yet had the chance to truly test how they break in. We did design the disc to break in slowly and to be made from really durable materials. When designing the disc we also took the thin parts of the disc where the inserts go into careful consideration. We made sure that we didn't compromise the structural integrity of the disc by making these areas too thin. When we got the samples this was also one of the first things we tested. We took the disc without the rings and smashed it against trees and fences etc. to make sure those areas were not at risk for breaking/tearing. Once we add the rings those areas will be even stronger so we are confident there should be no issue. That being said, like I mentioned we haven't had a chance to do long term testing yet so we will have to see how the different areas of the disc break in and wear over time.

And lastly what plastic would you compare yours with?

Our plastic was designed to be an opaque premium plastic (Star, Ti, Gold Line). Based on our first samples we are close to where we want to be. Obviously getting a perfect blend takes a lot of tinkering with materials and it will probably take sometime before we get exactly what we want, be we are happy with where we have gotten to so far.

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks for taking part in advancing the game! I'm a huge fan of new start up companies and helping the small business get off the ground :)

Anytime! We welcome the questions and if you have anymore feel free to ask. Also appreciate you supporting startups like ours. We think we can deliver a great product with our idea and hopefully contribute something neat to help grow the sport.

Thanks for your interest in our discs! See the responses above.

Nice. Looks like a blend of Ti and Goldline from the picture. Love the color. Looking forward to trying one of these out.

Nice. Looks like a blend of Ti and Goldline from the picture. Love the color. Looking forward to trying one of these out.
Thanks! We're excited to get your guys feedback. We really think players will love the disc.