• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] New Disc Manufacturer

So if the new disc manufacturer is in Mississippi, and the factory makes the duck calls, is it the Duck Dynasty guys making discs now? Any Idea?

Usually only a few pieces of the duck call are made of plastic, usually just the core, the rest is carved from wood and bamboo. Those pieces are just shipped in, the molding will occur elsewhere in MS. Duck Commander was just a popular reference to comparison of quality since they use the same plastic manufacturer.

That other new place said they were gonna make consistancy run discs, do you think these mississippi guys can do any betterly? When the robots rule the world there will be no stairs.

And I thought Mississippians were ignorant....making a quality product isn't that difficult, money just makes it that way. These guys already make a lot of money from Duck Commander, not to mention how many other companies we don't know about they mold for. This just another endeavor for them. Try and think(don't hurt yourself) they already have quality control, after training from former employees of major disc manufacturing companies, how hard do you think it would be? Westside and Dynamic Discs are essentially doing the same thing.

Last edited:
I am just giving out the info I have at the moment.
Hopefully this will be a quality disc manufacturer.

Yes I am excited about it, because 1) it's close to home and 2) if they do what they say, it will be very nice discs.

I am not promising the world, just reporting what I overhear for you guys.

If CE plastic was so easy to copy and create, do you really think Innova wouldn't bring it back.
People say EVERYTHING feels like CE.
I left my tuna fish sandwich in the car today. I went to get it this afternoon and it flet like CE. (It also gained stability, which is odd.)

I've given some thought to a "robot tester" for discs. There was a commercial for the WA state lottery that featured a robot that threw frisbees for a dog to fetch. And golf balls and clubs are tested and approved with a robotic system. The problem with these is that they mimic high level athletes at the peak of the game or better. Someone eventually figured out that softer golf balls made for women were perfect for the average male golfer and they rebranded them and attached a dick joke. I'm curious to see if a robot can be dialed down from "pro" to "suck"

The whole point of the robot is to get an accurate flight rating for proto discs. This would solve the problem of companies claiming certain numbers and then the discs flying completely different. I don't think they plan on making "suck robots" to show how the discs would fly for sucky players. Ratings have always been based on how the disc was meant to fly (aka being thrown by the best of the best)

They don't design molds either. Latitude hears their input and designs a mold.

I was under the impression that Westside designed their own discs, but DD does as you said. Westside's site has a little blurb on each mold setup in its website. Like this one on the Sword, "Molds upper part is Westside King version 1.0, completed on 22 September 2010. Molds lower part is Westside Sword version 1.0, completed on 12 March 2011. Molds and their copyrights are owned by Westside Golf Discs."

I was under the impression that Westside designed their own discs, but DD does as you said. Westside's site has a little blurb on each mold setup in its website. Like this one on the Sword, "Molds upper part is Westside King version 1.0, completed on 22 September 2010. Molds lower part is Westside Sword version 1.0, completed on 12 March 2011. Molds and their copyrights are owned by Westside Golf Discs."

This is what I was under the impression of as well and assumed DD did the same. It's still the same concept, someone pitches the idea someone else makes it.

If you weren't playing when CE came out, you really have no way to judge true CE. It was amazing when it came out. Now, if you throw the same discs, it isn't the same, it's a 10 year old disc, won't be the same.

If a person I truly trust is like "Dude, this really does feel/fly the same" i might give it a try, but really "CE" is a buzzword to me these days.

I LOVED my old CE discs back in the day. I love my new discs now. CE isn't magical. It is a time in the game that was pretty great, and I'm glad I experienced it.

It might be true that Westside has someone drawing mold pieces, all I know are the specifics of DD64. We did the Small Axe mold designs in-house and contracted the cutting and molding. All I'm saying is, because we can draw a mold (most disc golfers should be able to) and contract its production, doesn't mean we have any skill in molding, or that it's a given that we could turn a crash course into moldy gold. I haven't seen discs from any of the various new companies, nor am I working with any of them currently.

If you weren't playing when CE came out, you really have no way to judge true CE. It was amazing when it came out. Now, if you throw the same discs, it isn't the same, it's a 10 year old disc, won't be the same.

If a person I truly trust is like "Dude, this really does feel/fly the same" i might give it a try, but really "CE" is a buzzword to me these days.

I LOVED my old CE discs back in the day. I love my new discs now. CE isn't magical. It is a time in the game that was pretty great, and I'm glad I experienced it.

This is pretty accurate. CE when it came out was unlike most other offerings. I was a big fan of the Z plastics from Discraft at the time and CE was really completely different and nothing like the CE plasitcs around today. I am not a scientist, so I cannot tell you why, but this post rang true to me.

It might be true that Westside has someone drawing mold pieces, all I know are the specifics of DD64. We did the Small Axe mold designs in-house and contracted the cutting and molding. All I'm saying is, because we can draw a mold (most disc golfers should be able to) and contract its production, doesn't mean we have any skill in molding, or that it's a given that we could turn a crash course into moldy gold. I haven't seen discs from any of the various new companies, nor am I working with any of them currently.

I agree with that but if the rumors do prove to be true the molding company does have some help along with the owner of the disc company. None of us but the OP really know the guy so most of the DGCR population believe him to be a porch sittin' moonshine sippin' good Ol' boy. He could be a cool intelligent person, I've met a few here, I was just stating plausibility. No intent to argue, I just wanted to offer reason plus I'm excited and hopeful this goes through. I don't want it to be like a former Memphis disc company that made, oh how can I say nicely, "odd" discs that went out of business. Though he did have some of the best glow plastic, almost pure glow material lol.

Last edited:
I missed whether this thread is also about Salient Discs like the other thread on a new disc manufacturer that appeared today? Seems like they are both in the South, but thought Salient was in S. Carolina.

Lots of action in the Disc manufacturing world these days. I'm surprised more are popping up since I thought it would go the other way now.

In any case, the mystery disc in the Car window is a good teaser. Have fun making Discs.

I missed whether this thread is also about Salient Discs like the other thread on a new disc manufacturer that appeared today? Seems like they are both in the South, but thought Salient was in S. Carolina.

Lots of action in the Disc manufacturing world these days. I'm surprised more are popping up since I thought it would go the other way now.

In any case, the mystery disc in the Car window is a good teaser. Have fun making Discs.

Salient discs hasn't laid any claim to this so it's safe to assume they are two separate entities.