• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New disc'er in NoVa.

ChainCutter

Hey guys, I'm new to the sport having been playing 3 months+. After my first round(Burke Lake) I was hooked! Using a frisbee disc golf set for starters; over the period I've done some research, watched some vids and spent spare time throwing in a field by my house.I can hold a decent line about 120-150' with the Frisbees and depending on how hard I throw they turn right or left unpredictably. I'm hoping to gain some control and distance with the new drivers as well as reliability in midrange approach and putt(obviously!!!) I've since upgraded "my bag"(a grocery bag)to some more premium discs ...The discs I chose were all Discraft. I picked the
Big Z Crank 174g
Mantis 174g
Buzzz 175g
Buzzz 168g
Pro D Stratus 174g
& 3x. Soft Magnet 174g
Any thoughts from my constituents concerning my investment of discs?!

I like all those choices except the crank. It's a really high speed disc that someone newer to the sport wants to avoid. You want to only get a 13 speed disc if that is the speed at which you are able to throw. Typically, not the case for newer players. You mentioned sometimes the throw will go left sometimes right. For a driver I would suggest the stalker. It's from discraft, it's a speed 7, it's a straight shooter a lot of people call it a longer buzzz. It is going to respond to how you throw and let you know if you made a mistake in form, which will help you develop your abilities.

Hey guys, I'm new to the sport having been playing 3 months+. After my first round(Burke Lake) I was hooked! Using a frisbee disc golf set for starters; over the period I've done some research, watched some vids and spent spare time throwing in a field by my house.I can hold a decent line about 120-150' with the Frisbees and depending on how hard I throw they turn right or left unpredictably. I'm hoping to gain some control and distance with the new drivers as well as reliability in midrange approach and putt(obviously!!!) I've since upgraded "my bag"(a grocery bag)to some more premium discs ...The discs I chose were all Discraft. I picked the
Big Z Crank 174g
Mantis 174g
Buzzz 175g
Buzzz 168g
Pro D Stratus 174g
& 3x. Soft Magnet 174g
Any thoughts from my constituents concerning my investment of discs?!

1. Stop buying discs - right now. If you are really jonesing for some new plastic get yourself a Z or X Comet if you want to stick with Discraft. A Buzzz SS would not be a bad option either. Another option to satisfy the desire for new plastic is try out some different putters. There is almost no right or wrong answer with putters because it's all a matter of what feels best. A lot of people like Wizards, Anodes, Aviars, etc. Some like beadless...others not so much.
2. Put the Crank and Mantis away for a little while. You don't need them yet. Once you get your Buzzz's out around 250' pull those drivers back out of storage. Some folks may say reach 300' with a Buzzz before using a driver. Your milage may vary.
3. I would strongly recommend practice rounds with just the Magnet. I occasionally throw putter only rounds. It's a great way to learn a disc. Same goes for the Buzzz's. Throw some Buzzz only rounds as well. You 'd be surprised how far (and accurately) you can throw a putter once you get some rounds under your belt.

I would also strongly recommend getting in with a local league. Nothing helps the learning process like talking to people and getting advice. Most DG'ers I've met are great about advice. And when you're not getting advice - watch other people throw. That can be helpful as well. It's one thing to watch it on Youtube it's completely different seeing it in person. :thmbup:

If you're serious about improving, DaveTheRocketGuy is right on. Find some new courses to add to the mix because Burke Lake is not very challenging.

If you're playing for funsies, throw whatever you think is cool and enjoy!

also discraft makes the best disc out there. the comet. you should be throwing that on most holes at burke.

If you're serious about improving, DaveTheRocketGuy is right on. Find some new courses to add to the mix because Burke Lake is not very challenging.

i disagree and think burke lake is a great place to learn learn how to play. most of the holes are in the woods forcing you to hit your lines, just skip the saturday/sunday hucker 'fests.

i disagree and think burke lake is a great place to learn learn how to play. most of the holes are in the woods forcing you to hit your lines, just skip the saturday/sunday hucker 'fests.

It's a great place to learn, yes, but you'll plateau quickly unless you explore other courses.

pretty much all of nova's top players over the years have cut their teeth at burke lake. (although moser did play bull run a lot too)