• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New drives from Bob

SkaBob

* Ace Member *
A few new drives with my spiffy new camera, this time actual drives instead of midrange shots. Please be so kind as to let me know what you think!

They're a bunch of .MOV files, so you quicktime dudes can frame by frame 'em.

http://bob.werena.com/drives/

heh.. MAN was I rockin' the farmer's tan in the ones where I'm wearing a t-shirt!

Aiptek A-HD+

shoots 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps and takes stills at 8MP

$170 or so at Best Buy

Can't say I'm the most pleased with it's non-HD recordings. Some of the lower res ones I took may have been at 60fps, but they didn't have the resolution to keep the view clear, so the hand/forearm/disc area got really blurred. But, the HD vids are very nice.

SkaBob said:
Aiptek A-HD+

shoots 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps and takes stills at 8MP

$170 or so at Best Buy

Can't say I'm the most pleased with it's non-HD recordings. Some of the lower res ones I took may have been at 60fps, but they didn't have the resolution to keep the view clear, so the hand/forearm/disc area got really blurred. But, the HD vids are very nice.

Yo maaan... I know why your handle is Ska. Really relaxed and slow throws.

It's probably not the resolution but te frame rate at 60 FPS that still leaves the arm motion blurred. I know it does on my camera at 320x240@60FPS.

To the meat. You're not twisting your hips and lose distance there from not generating all the power you could. Your elbow should make a sharp angle for plyometric loading and a fast chop for greater wrist plyometric loading(ok forearm) and greater spin on the disc. More speed in the x step should help with bending the waist forward for better nose down angle. Each of these suggestions alone should add to your distance.

JR said:
Yo maaan... I know why your handle is Ska. Really relaxed and slow throws.

I try to keep myself loose and fluid as I throw...It works alright, but yeah my arm speed kinda sucked for most of the videos I just posted...I've been kind of babying my arm, back and right knee the last couple weeks, it could be that's coming across loud and clear in the vids... heh... I'd hardly consider any of the shots from these vids all out crushes, but they were all (except that little back-view hyzer that I just added because it's fun to watch) around 320-340. Pretty acceptable for golf shots at my local league, but I definitely want to see if I can start pushing out further without aggravating any of my fragile points.

JR said:
It's probably not the resolution but te frame rate at 60 FPS that still leaves the arm motion blurred. I know it does on my camera at 320x240@60FPS.

The larger videos (which are 720p resolution) should be the same framerate as the smaller one, but the smaller ones I didn't upload are horrible about that. The large videos it blurs a little, but the smaller ones the whole forearm, hand a disc blur into one big blob.

Something I've been noticing as I frame by frame videos is that i've got some wierd little wrist roll/bounce in some of them I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on so I could get rid of it. I think it's probably part of me trying to get the nose down.

Videos I notice it in iare FILE0011.MOV and FILE0025.MOV.

Injuries suck.

For the wrist collapsing upwards I've found that it helps to keep the wrist straight as long as possible. Around when the wrist starts to extend your muscles are loose enough for great arm speed but you should have enough tension in the forearm to keep the disc hyzer angle correct. As the wrist is about to open push the wrist down with conscious effort from the muscles. It's similar to late power focus in that it's easier to be tight with the muscles at the correct time for keeping the nose down when it counts in the hit.

It felt odd to me initially but eventually I managed to tie it together in my mind with tightening index finger and thumb for the final pinch allowing wrist extension and moving the rip position on the disc from 3 o'clock towards 6 o'clock. Not sure if I'm that far back yet. It's new to me still so I am inconsistent with it but am getting ok with it.

alert: alert: alert:

someone has hijacked JRs account as indicated by the brevity of the imposter's post 8)

niuvalleycane said:
alert: alert: alert:

someone has hijacked JRs account as indicated by the brevity of the imposter's post 8)

Bob's form ain't that bad that it'd require an immense post. Considering he's got injuries to contend with :)

Alright, Bob... here's what I see... take it for what it's worth. If you normally do/don't do this stuff but injuries are preventing you, then I guess you're good:

1) In you x-step/approach to your throw, you're leaning back before you plant and pull through. Don't. You should be upright or leaning a little towards your target.

2) When you start the pull, start with the hip rotation, not the arm pull. Begin hip rotation and the arm will pull automatically. This will allow you to get further along in your pull at a slower speed and make it possible for you to explode later in the pull (as in closer to the right pec and beyond).

3) You are rotating your shoulders around so quickly that the disc isn't coming all the way across. You're losing all your snap. You need to find a way to bring the disc into the crook of your arm (allowing your wrist to collapse in (wind up) and then unroll out like a whip. If the shoulder rotates too fast, then the disc is coming out before you get that movement.

4) You're also not powering through with your hips, more like pulling through with your arm and the hips come along for the ride. Best way I can explain this is when you power through with the hips first, the follow through feels like your forward momentum stops and then your legs/rest of your body catch up vs your entire body flowing through and past your hit. It looks the same but feels different.

5) I don't know how necessary it is, but I was coached to bring the disc across my chest a little higher than you are (around ribcage area). Bring it through around the nipples and chin. That will also make it harder to get the nose up (but not impossible sadly).

6) Finish better. Your stroke is pretty much the same speed all the way through. You want to explode at the hit & finish. I think of it like a wave crashing. As you pull through you are a wave building height, just before the hit, you begin crashing down. Rapid and powerful right at the end.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: Also, you could move your thumb closer to the edge as well, vs inside the flight plate.

Latest posts