• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New member needs advice

Lend27

I will play my first round in a few weeks here in NC.
I haven't purchased anything yet.
What would you suggest for equipment at the beginner stage?
I see products by Discraft and Innova but I'm not sure exactly what I should get. Also need recommendations on bags and other equipment I should carry on the course.
My wife is offering to set me up with the right stuff as a Valentines Day gift.
What would you suggest?

Thanks
Len

try discs either in dx (innova) or pro d (discraft). i would say start out with a roc/buzzz, aviar/magnet, and a leopard/cheetah. any starter bag will be fine for a while.

try discs either in dx (innova) or pro d (discraft). i would say start out with a roc/buzzz, aviar/magnet, and a leopard/cheetah. any starter bag will be fine for a while.

THat would be a good start, I would recommend about 166-168 for weight. If the Roc/Buzzz is a bit difficult to keep straight, a Cobra would be a nice addition. Those four would do alot for you.

Avoid the distance drivers to start!!! Develop a feel for golf discs and good technique.

Ask your wife for a rain check. Go out to the store, find their disc section and pick a disc that tickles your fancy, buy it yourself, and be proud while using it. Have fun, don't keep score, and enjoy spending time with your wife or whoever you are playing with. Then, after a handful of outings and when the dg bug has gotten you good, start your research and build a shopping list for the wife. :)

There are many "beginner" discs that will be great when your beginning but lame later. Here are three that are stongly suggested beginner but you will find in bags all the way up to pro:
magnet, buzzz, xl

There are many "beginner" discs that will be great when your beginning but lame later. Here are three that are stongly suggested beginner but you will find in bags all the way up to pro:
magnet, buzzz, xl

I second that. Those are 3 good discs to start with. I would also suggest a Leopard-driver, Skeeter-Midrange, and a Magnet or Aviar putter.

These discs sound good, but if you are just getting started, you really don't have to have a bag.

I disagree with the buy DX or Pro D thing. Why do that? Buy premium plastic and you wont have to replace it in a month. As far as discs I would go with something like this.

Discraft:
Putter- Magnet or Focus or Chalenger
Mid- Buzzz
Driver- X plastic Xpress, an XL and an avenger.

Or go innova:
Aviar or a Dart for a putter
roc for a mid range
And sidewinder and TeeBird for drivers.

I take a different position (and will probably get flamed)...

Start with 4 discs...
Buy DX or Pro <- Why? you are going to destroy all of your discs in the beginning until you get control. Why spend $20 on a disc that wont really perform much better than its $10 counterpart; better plastic does performe better, but when most of your shots are goign to hit trees anyway and YOU wont really know the differences... does it really matter? in the end a disc will be beat up super bad in 1 month anyway so the end is the same... Broken In beyond playability within 1 month.
(Also note, when you want new discs, for a while, go buy used "retreads" from the guys selling them on the course, and at the second hand outlets. A big portion of DG is learning what a disc does and what it can do for you.... When i want to experiment, i try to find used. It helps <wheoever> is selling it, and with a $5 expense, i get a broken in disc and will know what "its all about" very quickly. If i like it, i buy it new... if i dont, i keep it, give it away, or donate it to someone else.

Try to keep your discs in the 168-170 Range. As a beginner this will probably be "about right"... as your arm grows or you refine your skills you will be able to figure out what direction you need to go with the weights.

Buy a Katana in the 168 weight Range.
Yes, its bad form... yes it's against most training methods... yes it's cheating..... but why not pick up a disc that you'll be able to throw super far from day 1 (with bad technique and form). You wont be able to throw it any better than any other disc, BUT it will still go 20-40' farther from day 1. It will handle sidearm easily.

Buy a TeeBird in the 168 weight range.
This is the disc you should learn master. This is the bread and butter all "longer ranges" disc.

Buy a 173 DX Roc (5 grams or so heavier than your drivers)
The extra weight will help keep it stabilized and you will find that it can be used as a driver. It can be used for almost any shot type.

Buy a 175 Aviar / Putter
This is the standard. You can get fancy with other discs, but this is a disc you will probably have until the day you quit DG.

This selection (kinda) leaves you short with the forehand and hyzer (meat hook) type shots, but when you figure out how to throw and realize why you need that shot, AND the differences in discs, you will be set.

*My methodology is, in the beginning, get you started with easy distance, cheap equipment and something that will give you enough of a range to experiment, learn and determine if you want to get more serious. At the point you want to get more serious, you'll start to "figure it out" enough to know what you need. Until then, the main key is to get you out there, have fun, and give you the tools to ascend through the "baby steps".

Last edited:
magnet, buzzz, xl

I like this but would opt for either a Leopard or Impact over the XL.

Its not like discs stop flying when it gets scratched or even gouged. They actually fly better. Lower priced discs actually fly further with less acceleration. Don't beleive the hype of expensive plastic until you can sacrifice distance. Think of em like a baseball glove when you were a kid; who's glove was better, the brand new one or the beat one.

So as far as the other stuff goes, there are some essentials.
Towel: this is an area of preferance, I prefer a combo of sham wow when wet, soft clip towel for most duties, and cut up old t shirt when if it's really important. Some like micro but I don't.
Bag: a cardboard six pack will get you through but a fade crunch box would offer spots for storage and have a more modern design. The brand fade offers simillar design bags for less.
Shoes: another area of opionion. I prefer merrells but what I really look for is a vibram sole, it is the most durable I've seen. A good throw should have follow through to the point where your body is spinning. If on concrete tee pads, this will wear down normal shoes. Other companies like keen and n face also use vibram soles.

Happy tossin and welcome to the site.

Elite X Comet, DX Leopard, and whatever putter feels good in your hands.

The Comet will be the hardest to throw, but it will teach you good form because it's very sensitive to bad form. If you can master this disc, you'll be able to throw anything well.

Your putter is all about personal preference. In terms of throwing straight at the basket and having no fade at the end of the flight, a hard Magnet is the first putter that comes to mind.

And you don't need a bag yet. I carried five discs before moving into one.

Must be a microfiber towel if you want it to magnetically pick up the dust and dirt, instead of just moving it around. Huk Lab and Parked have em, along with everyone else im sure

an aviar or magnet or wizard
a roc or buzzz
and
a leopard or cyclone

this set of three will get you started.
learn them before moving up.

don't mess with high speed drivers until you can make the first three sing.

Honestly, I'd get a single disc. Work with that one. JLS, Leopard or XL are all pretty straight shooting discs. As stated, go for a 167-170 weight discs. If you have a good time in your round pick up a putter then midrange the next time. If you can get the 3 pack starter set for a good price go with that. Otherwise just start with one disc. For some strange reason you hate it (not going to happen) you'll only be out a few bucks.

You should get a mid like an Innova Roc or Stingray maybe. But you'd have way more fun if you just started with a leopard. The first few times you play it really won't matter what your throwing.

Ask your wife for a rain check. Go out to the store, find their disc section and pick a disc that tickles your fancy, buy it yourself, and be proud while using it. Have fun, don't keep score, and enjoy spending time with your wife or whoever you are playing with. Then, after a handful of outings and when the dg bug has gotten you good, start your research and build a shopping list for the wife. :)

I gotta agree with this advice.
How do you even know your gonna enjoy the game yet ?
You might hate it.
Get yourself a Roc and a raincheck.
Go play a few rounds, see if you enjoy it, learn how to throw one disc well, before you start throwing three or four different ones. If you start with 3 discs, its going to take you 3 times as long to learn each one.
Dont bother with a bag until you can throw enough different discs well.

Go Roc first, a Roc is a disc you can do everything with, then add a putter like an Aviar, then add an easy to throw driver, like a Beast, after you can throw the other two well.

I will play my first round in a few weeks here in NC.
I haven't purchased anything yet.
What would you suggest for equipment at the beginner stage?
I see products by Discraft and Innova but I'm not sure exactly what I should get. Also need recommendations on bags and other equipment I should carry on the course.
My wife is offering to set me up with the right stuff as a Valentines Day gift.
What would you suggest?

Thanks
Len
Where in NC are you located? If you are anywhere near Sanford, go to a store called Fins, Furs, and Feathers right off 421. Chuckster will hook you up, he's the man. He's the only salesman I've ever seen discourage a noob from buying a Boss.

Latest posts