• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New member needs advice

There's nothing wrong with DX plastic for Drivers other than durability, sometimes hitting a tree or whatever will really affect stability in DX plastic. They're certainly not junk and I know players alot better and more experienced than I that prefer them. Off the rack I think they fly straighter and further in general than Champion or Pro.

I know, quite the shocking revelation. The DX Valk does hold the distance record, so at least that guy must like it;)

He liked it to throw it once and only once. If that is what you want out of a disc buy'em up.

I will play my first round in a few weeks here in NC.
I haven't purchased anything yet.
What would you suggest for equipment at the beginner stage?
I see products by Discraft and Innova but I'm not sure exactly what I should get. Also need recommendations on bags and other equipment I should carry on the course.
My wife is offering to set me up with the right stuff as a Valentines Day gift.
What would you suggest?

Thanks
Len

Putter ---- Rhyno (easy to get a feel for and great into wind)
Mid ---- KC Rocs (the only mid you'll ever need in my opinion. I carry 4)
Fairway ---- Leopard and a Banshee
Drivers ---- Roadrunner, Valkyrie, Wraith

If you go to www.innovadiscs.com, go to the discs home page and click on these discs...if you scroll down the page for each individual discs, they give a pretty good view of the discs flight for a RHBH (righ handed back hand)

I would suggest DX or Pro plastic for starters, though I believe some of the discs I mentioned may only come in Champion or Star plastic. These plastics are a little grippier, in my opinion, and beat up a little quicker (it'll teach you how discs break in as they become more and more used.)

If you are new and going anywhere where a disc can be lost, DX is the way to go. Doesnt matter how durable it is if you are never going to see it again. Thats not to mention the growth as a new player to develope different tastes quite rapidly.

Besides, I think people exagerate a little bit on how fast a DX disc gets beat up to not being useable.

If you are new and going anywhere where a disc can be lost, DX is the way to go. Doesnt matter how durable it is if you are never going to see it again. Thats not to mention the growth as a new player to develope different tastes quite rapidly.

Besides, I think people exagerate a little bit on how fast a DX disc gets beat up to not being useable.

Very true, I didnt think of it that way...

Putter ---- Rhyno (easy to get a feel for and great into wind)
Mid ---- KC Rocs (the only mid you'll ever need in my opinion. I carry 4)
Fairway ---- Leopard and a Banshee
Drivers ---- Roadrunner, Valkyrie, Wraith

If you go to www.innovadiscs.com, go to the discs home page and click on these discs...if you scroll down the page for each individual discs, they give a pretty good view of the discs flight for a RHBH (righ handed back hand)

There's nothing wrong with DX plastic for Drivers other than durability, sometimes hitting a tree or whatever will really affect stability in DX plastic. They're certainly not junk and I know players alot better and more experienced than I that prefer them. Off the rack I think they fly straighter and further in general than Champion or Pro.

I agree completely agree. I personally don't carry any DX, only because with the power exerted in my swing (no, I'm not saying I throw 800 ft or anything), and probably most players, would bend the disc like a paper plate.
A don't feel that a beginner would have to worry about this problem to much.
Plus, DX plastic is super cheap and most lose more discs when they start playing than they would after playing a few years +. Easily replacable.

It's not so much in what you buy, it's about not getting discouraged. I'm sure that you'll find at least one disc you have trouble with sometime soon, but keep playing. The more you play, the better you'll get, the more discs you can throw, the more you'll understand what discs to buy, etc. etc. snowball effect blah blah blah. Just don't stop playing because you have trouble at the beginning.

If there is one thing to take from this tread new member, it is this ^^^^^^

He liked it to throw it once and only once. If that is what you want out of a disc buy'em up.

No, believe me I'd like to see my disc go 700+ on a regular basis but I'm lucky see it go 300+. What I'm saying is that people much better than me and you choose this plastic and for good reason.

No doubt, DX is the cheapest to replace, whether the disc is lost in the woods or in the middle of a pond. They do however beat in a lot faster than Champ or Pro discs. Some of my most "Usable" discs are beat DX discs.

Well, you did good with whatever discs you bought. Atleast you didn't buy any green or black discs. Don't let all the posts here confuse you, there just opinions. Some are just posting whores and would debate any issue till your eyes bleed.

Bottom line you have to start somewhere, and we all started with DX plastic. Part of the game is that you will always think that there is some new improved disc, that will give you greater distance, fly straighter or glide longer. Normally not, you just have to work at it. Throw till your arm and chest is sore, the next day do it again only less to help get rid of the ache. You'll make plenty of mistakes along the way, and buy discs you don't really need. You can always buy used discs here on the board that you want to try (think you need) or trade what you don't need. Have fun and don't worry you'll be a disc junkie before you know it.

Definitely buy a champion boss and be glad you have the latest technology

Totally kidding of course

Don't let all the posts here confuse you, there just opinions. Some are just posting whores and would debate any issue till your eyes bleed.

Hey, I resemble that remark :doh:

There's nothing wrong with DX, unless you live in NC ;) Pro plastic's a lot better for a couple bucks more, x outs and misprints are great for saving cash when you buy the tree resistant stuff.

A lot of the older disc molds arguably perform best in the DX plastic too though.

In other words, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Definitely buy a champion boss and be glad you have the latest technology

Totally kidding of course

But there's truth in this. Don't get dazzled by the fastest drivers you see on the flight charts. Stick with the putters and mids that you got until you've mastered them and then move onto the fairway and distance drivers. Your game will be much better because of it...it's not what I did and now I'm having some "discing down" adventures of my own.

Latest posts