• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player, Bag Building Suggestions

Shimmer

Birdie Member
Hey everyone!

I'm new to disc golf, only been playing about 3 weeks, but playing nearly every day for a few hours a day. I know I need to pick up some new discs to expand my game and have read the guides and stickies, but I was looking for some personal opinions based on my current play style and where I'd like to be.

Currently, I throw a right forehand for drives and can throw fairly deep, about 325 ft. However, this kills my shoulder. I'm looking to try and throw RBH but have had no such luck driving with this technique. I'm working on my form, and would like to switch to this throw style though.

Currently my only discs are;

Drivers
174 Crush
166 Elite X Nuke (Struggling with this disc)

Mid
Pro D Buzzz

Putter
Magnet (needs to be replaced, really beat up)

It's very basic as I'm just learning the game and the various techniques, but I know having a little larger variety of discs will help my game. Based on what I've read, Leopards and Rocs sound fairly friendly. Open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance :)

166 Elite X Nuke (Struggling with this disc)

^not surprising! both of those drivers are more than likely too much for you just yet. put those away for now.
i would suggest cyclone for distance, comet for mid, and as far as putters go it's what feels best for you- you just need to hit a store and handle as many as possible. if you like the magnet, get another one in the 'soft' plastic.
just remember, you don't need to go all crazy buying a bunch of plastic, yet(that will surely come soon enough:)). keep it simple for now and have fun!

i'm not allowed to give advice anymore. but since i don't care...

the magnet is a solid putter; you can replace it with another or look in to some of the other putters that are recommended on the forum.

the buzzz is a great mid for straight shots and anhyzer lines. you should look in to getting a mid thats overstable to compliment it. the roc is a very popular disc for that slot but there are others such as the gator, shark, md2, wasp, hornet, etc..

as far as the nuke, you're struggling with it because its meant for players who can already have good form and the arm to throw such a high speed disc. it's easier for most players to learn good form and throwing mechanics by starting out just throwing slower discs. look in to getting some fairway drivers at first. a good combination from innova is teebird, eagle.

Thank you Russel and New for your input! You both confirmed what I suspected about those discs. I'll definitely be looking into your suggestions!

My other question is; what weight of discs should I be looking at? Some swear lighter is better for beginners, but I've also heard the opposite.

Thanks again!

Yea I'd go with that range of 165-170... lighter discs give you more range and its said that heavier discs give you more accuracy. i find there's not much difference from the 165-175 range in accuracy for me but it could affect you differently. i only see a difference when you get down to 160 and the 150 class discs, which go far but are harder to control coming out of your hand imo.

Some people swear by max weight mids for control but others say it doesn't really matter. The lighter discs will give you more range for now and that's really what you're looking for when you can't get the full line out of a disc.

Weight depends more on your body style. Lighter are less resistant to your form flaws, easier to get up to speed and over power.

The buzzz is a great mid and prob on the stable side for you right now. Look at getting a comet, meteor, dx roc, or similar less stable mids to go with it. A banshee will prob work well for the mid to longer mid shots and wind.

Putters are purely feel for you man. Try a few different ones out but, avoid the extremely stable putters for putting for now.

Try out the gazelle but I think the leopard will work for your back hand driver for now.

Like everyone else has said the putter is what ever feels best for you, which as you get more into the sport you'll realize thats the same with every disc.

I'd definitely try a comet for your mid, and as drivers go for a beginner you can't go wrong with a leopard.

Picking up these discs should be cheap, it's only until you start to becaome infatuated with the sport will it start to cost more money, by then you'll want to try everything you can get your hands on.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll be heading to the local disc golf store Monday to see if they have any of the suggestions so I can feel them out.

Alucard, I know my friends couldn't believe it either. I was a sidearm pitcher my whole life so I think my awkward release translated over nicely. No accuracy, but hey! It's a start :)

Latest posts