• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player bag help

noctem

so i guess vitals first

23, proficiency at pretty much any sport, soccer and paintball main ones.
Issues with my shoulder from soccer (goalkeeping)
Distances- 200 max putter, 250-70 mids, 300-320 drivers
Played this sport for about 4 months, best at fh but backhand getting better.

whats in my bag

worn neutron annode 173 (main putter)
ss wizard 153 (putt and approach)
reg wizard 163 (backup putter, wind approaches)

mids
buzzzs x3
x 167 (havent been using this one as recently, very understable)
esp 172 (stable to slightly understable)
ti 177 (slightly overstable, driving mid)

drivers (been having issues with distance, will be posting in technique help once i make a vid)
champ starfire 161 (main forehand control driver)
gold line havoc 170 (main forehand distance driver)
champ sidewinder (roller, control understable driver, bh)
recycled saint 174 (love this thing, use it for fh and bh. also wind driver)
opto vision 168 (meathook driver)
dx leopard (idk about this one, switch between it and sidewinder for bh control)

what am I missing, and what could I do better? Thanks guys

Bag doesn't look too bad, it's pretty focused.

I'd suggest checking out a 175 Z Buzzz at some point. I'm pretty sure that's the most popular/best plastic for the Buzzz. It has great durability, flight, and grip. It would be your main mid though so if your system works, don't run out and grab one.

If you're having trouble with drivers, you can try bumping your speeds down a little. The Havoc and Starfire are arguably fast for someone new to the sport. Focus on the Saint, Sidewinder, and Leopard
for a few rounds and see if it helps. The problem with your DX Leopard is it will probably beat in quickly to become must less stable and overlap with the Sidewinder at some point. If you end up liking the Leo, grab a Pro.

tnx for the post

I've heard a lot about the z buzz, might have to try one out. I am getting a mvp tangent when they release, I threw one at a local store and loved it. Should fill the wind approach spot so i can take out the reg wizard.

the havoc is in my bag as a forehand distance driver. So far its been working fairly well, and I'm learning to control its turn. Ive had some of my best and longest drives with that disc. Same kinda thing with the starfire, they feel comfortable to me. Is there any other type of solid fh disc that could replace those?

The leo and the sidewinder are in contention, but I think more of my backhand issues are stemming from my form not being very good than my disc selection. If the leo does become understable like the sidewinder, what disc should I replace with if any? I had a striker in my bag for a while and loved that thing. Would that be a decent patch?

At your distances, I would bench all your drivers but the Saint, Vision, and Leopard. Being newer to the game, I would recommend less plastic over more. It will help you develop throws instead of using a different disc for each kind of throw. Throwing the drivers I listed, which are on the slower end of the spectrum, will also make you work on your form in order to grow your distance. Win, win!

You say that your Vision is a meathook. It should be the most understable of all your discs so it should be turning right out of your hand, not left. Either you're throwing it so nose up that it stalls and fades left, or we've got our wires crossed on the definition of meathook.

I'm probably throwing it incorrectly then, because I'm releasing flat and it always seems to fade off after going straight about 150. Tnx for the tips, I'll give that a try.

So it looks like really I need to be discing down to work on my form more than playing around with disc types

I was also going to ask about that Vision

Also, any disc that can be thrown backhand can be thrown forehand. The disc companies are silly for saying that certain discs are better for forehand. Their "forehand discs" are usually just overstable discs you need to throw on a big flex shot, or be ridiculously strong to get good distance out of. Well, ridiculously strong or have great arm speed/snap/form/grip/all that stuff.

Learning to throw big anhyzer flex shots first instead of just regular flat throws can mess you up, form wise. That's how I started, and I'm just now starting to get out of the habit.

The Leopard would probably be great for fixing that. If you throw that on an anhyzer angle, it's either going to die or try to roll. But flat it'll go nice and far. Usually.

I'm probably throwing it incorrectly then, because I'm releasing flat and it always seems to fade off after going straight about 150. Tnx for the tips, I'll give that a try.

So it looks like really I need to be discing down to work on my form more than playing around with disc types

Your the second person I've seen refer to a Vision as a meathook so maybe some are more stable. That sounds like a XXX or Trident more than anything.

some visions have ridiculous flash on them and higher PLH.. My first optos were great but buying new ones after that was a crap shoot some a lot more stable but never "meathooks" lol... seems odd'

I actually just noticed today on DGC:

"Latitude 64 says this about the Vision:
Note: Due to a change in the manufacturing process, the new Visions are rated 8,6,-1,2 and have Stable Control Driver at the top of the stamp"

So earlier run Visions are probably far different from what you'd get now.

Latest posts