• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player Southern IL

Kwikdraw

Hello everyone. Just a few short months ago (mid-December to be exact) I learned that disc golf is more than taking a frisbee and saying "that street light is the hole. Par 3. Go." After watching multiple (read: nearly all) of the 2017 tournaments, I picked up an Innova starter set, and threw my first round in either late December or early January.

I was addicted immediately, and have been ever since.

One question I have is this: how "bad" or "dangerous" is it to throw max weight discs as a beginner? The starter pack I had (147g Leopard, 150g Shark, 150g Aviar) felt entirely too light, and before I purchased my first non-starter disc, I picked up some discs to see how they felt, and 175g (or rather, anything over 170) felt the best in my hand.

I understand that more weight = less distance, and I've even thrown some discs friends have that are lighter than max weight and had some decent throws on the driving range. The problem is, they just don't feel "right" to me.

Additionally, what's the easiest way to fix a (for lack of a better word) "plateau?" I can throw 250-275 FH with both my TDx and my FD3 (which I picked up because my TDx is too flippy FH for some shots), but BH it's hard for me to break 250 consistently no matter which disc I throw. My P2s max out around 180-200 at the moment, MD3s are 200-220 consistently maxing out at 250 (or maybe a touch above). Above that? It's 250ish no matter what I throw. Is it a form issue? Arm speed? Or am I just too impatient and wanting too much distance out of myself than I probably should at this point?

Like with most things in life, experience, time, and practice is going to make you better. Outside of reading the forums and watching lots of YouTube, go outside and see what clicks for you. People say a disc like a Comet will detect form issues like OAT and nose angle problems if you're into that. Best of luck and enjoy!

No danger in throwing max weight discs. Go with what works best for you.

You will gradually increase your distance over time but it's best to fix form issues earlier than later. Post a video of your form in the technique section or seek out a local pro for a quick lesson.

Latest posts