• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Putter. I need some advice.

Hawkmaster

I use a Star Wedge as my putter. It's great at short but heavy anhyzers, straight midranges, and rolls. I love it, but when I try to put some snap on it, it doesn't putt very well. My mistake? Maybe. It can take a little snap and is good for short putts, but I want a little something that can take enough power for those "go for" putts. A Rhyno is too stable for me. Aviar, Focus? Any disc suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

I use an aviar and can't see myself ever changing.

really though a putter is a putter. I'd say putting is 95% about confidence. As long as you believe the one you are using is the best then it is.

also ^this^ may just be drunken rambling...

Try putting with less snap. How much snap do you putt with anyways? The last thing you want is to have a 100' comeback putt.

Buy one of the top 5 putters and practice or keep throwing what you have and practice. Really practice is what you need. Try throwing with more nose up.

This will be the simplest problem you ever experience in your life to fix:

1) Get 2 Wizards that feel nice in your hand.
2) Snap them straight at the center of the heart of the chains! (watch for Iron Leaf)
3) Watch your score drop like the Dow Jones average!

If you like the feel of a Wedge, a Dart might be up your alley.

Unfortunately, the best way I have found to choose a putter is to try a bunch of different molds out and see which one works for you. I bought a bunch of different molds and started practicing putting in the back yard with a Skill Shot basket and eventually chose the putter that sank more putts and felt the most comfortable for my throwing style. At the time I did this the top three for me came out as SE Rhyno/Ching Fusion Tank, JK Aviar, and Omega Supersoft.

After a long layoff from the game, I was back out in the backyard and came to a similar conclusion. Unfortunately, SE Rhynos cost more than a half a dozen putters now and Ching Fusion Tanks have all but disappeared. I bought a couple R-Pro Rhynos and a couple of Vibram VP x-line Softs to see if I can replace the SE/Fusion plastic, but results are inconclusive at this time.

Long story short, go out a throw as many putters as you can against one another and bag the winner. When you find it, buy a bunch of them before they go and change the plastic on them again.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great advice. "Go for" putts are for me 40-30'. I usually putt with NO snap unless it's a short distance that I know I can make. I usually throw it on a little angle so it fades in. That works best for me. Well thanks again and this definitely helped! I very much agree with confidence being a big part. My Wedge gave me a lot of confidence. I'm going to look into an Aviar, then Focus, and if nothing else works a Challenger. Thanks again everyone.

2) Snap them straight at the center of the heart of the chains! (watch for Iron Leaf)

THIS :thmbup:

I love my Aviar for that distance! I put a touch of angle for a slight fade like you and it works great. And yes, be confident with anything that you choose and it will probably work great

With the Aviar, make sure to check out the Yeti plastic... its just right.

I actually really like mine too... most people I talked to like theirs more for driving (because it stays stable), but mine is used for 90% of my putts now... I actually carry two in my bag, along with a beat up KC pro that is used when I need it to hold an anny line and not come out of it. But like almost everyone has said, it really is first- all about what is comfortable, and second- taking that comfortable disc out and getting a lot of practice. Hell, doing just 15 or so minutes a day practicing putting made a vast improvement in my game (and I am noticing it now that I have slacked off over the last several months)

Aviar,Wizard,Challenger,Ion, Magnet, etc.. all great just require some practice and just depends on what you like brotha.. bead or no bead, soft or stiff, etc.. i love kc aviars for everything putts,drives,upshots.. but yeah mess around and if you have a local store just pick em up and go with what feels best in your hand

Awesome. Sounds good. I do have a great store I like to go check out. I'll sit there for a little while gripping the Aviars. I'm going to go for Champion plastic.

word. & dont forget a HPP wiz for driving