• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Run TeeBird?

I like what Im hearing. I always wondered why the lighter teebirds flew so much better. I never knew they added an agent to add weight.

Back in the day (I don't know if it works this way now), the weighting agent was also the hardening agent. That is why 150-class CE, ProLine, & older Champion discs are extremely gummy (and part of the reason why I love 'em so much).

huge gap? thats what the rancho is for. anywho, the r+ roc is basically a beat dx rancho in premium plastic. the new feel is more or less a smaller bead

I think the "huge gap" line was sarcasm... and a rancho would not fit between an ontario and a sanny (unless beat of course... but then it could fit anywhere in the stability spectrum).

Least stable to most:
Ontario
Sanny
Rancho

Yeah, but usually they move on to the "New Mold" not sit there and keep making discs in both molds. It really isnt that big of a deal but it irks me, cause why not just rename every fairway driver they make to Teebird, and every mid to Roc and call every putter Aviar. Then they can be like lightning and just number them. "Hey, here is a #2 Teebird, not to be confused with a #1 Teebird."

I like this idea. All drivers named Valkyrie.

Eh, I don't see the big deal. If people will buy them, then Innova is doing what's right for their business, and it sounds like this is an honest attempt to improve their lineup, and it's probably based on input from players.

Eh, I don't see the big deal. If people will buy them, then Innova is doing what's right for their business, and it sounds like this is an honest attempt to improve their lineup, and it's probably based on input from players.

I thought it was so they could make Clear Teebirds?

I thought it was so they could make Clear Teebirds?

Either way, I really don't see why people are up in arms about it. In this case, they're not even making a disc that flies differently, they're just making the same disc a different way so they can make it look different.

I think the "huge gap" line was sarcasm... and a rancho would not fit between an ontario and a sanny (unless beat of course... but then it could fit anywhere in the stability spectrum).

Least stable to most:
Ontario
Sanny
Rancho

Thank you sir. Another great example of how sarcasm doesn't translate very well over the web :D

and thus the "you need an old Teebird" vs "i throw a new Champion" rhetoric begins.

i think innova tries too hard to sell discs, and in the process lessens their own product. What's wrong with sticking strictly to consistency and not "modifying" things to expand disc sales?

Great, just what we need, another disc with a Vintage and year to year preference.

Well said of Innova. Why can't they make one specific mold that is good and stick with it like other manufacturers do? I feel more and more disc golfers are getting feed up with this as well and thus opens the doors for other companies.

Well said of Innova. Why can't they make one specific mold that is good and stick with it like other manufacturers do? I feel more and more disc golfers are getting feed up with this as well and thus opens the doors for other companies.

I doubt there's as wide an outrage as you make it out to be. Think about what demographic is actually offended enough by this to change their buying habits. The vast majority of disc golfers are casual players who never read a message board or play competitively, and they won't ever know or care about stuff like this. The top players can throw anything, and if there's a specific vintage of teebird or roc or aviar they like, they'll go out and get it, not switch to Discraft. That leaves the people in between these groups, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a very large amount of people. The subset of that group that cares enough to switch is an even smaller number of people.

I kinda like what Innova does. A company that is always trying to improve on their products. Two different monsters are Discraft and Innova. Mashnut makes a very good point as well. But I can see how it can become annoying.

This type of situation is good for the shortterm business because people are looking for any possible advantage they can get, but in my eyes long term it will only hurt the company. Personally I think a roc should be a roc and a teebird should be a teebird, but a rancho roc is not the same as a san marino roc. Flight ratings should be different and thus names should be different. Then throw in the weight differences and you have thousands of different discs under about 50 titles. Seems a little goofy to me.

The most eggregious error in this regards is comparing a champion boss to an r pro boss. Not even close to the same thing so how can they have the same flight ratings!!!!

Not good IMO.

In my opinon flight ratings need to be consitant just as disc golf course ratings need to be standardized. Perhaps I am too cut and dry of a person for this sport . . . but I think these things should change to help advance the sport. Maybe it isnt a big deal but it is to me!

This type of situation is good for the shortterm business because people are looking for any possible advantage they can get, but in my eyes long term it will only hurt the company. Personally I think a roc should be a roc and a teebird should be a teebird, but a rancho roc is not the same as a san marino roc. Flight ratings should be different and thus names should be different. Then throw in the weight differences and you have thousands of different discs under about 50 titles. Seems a little goofy to me.

The most eggregious error in this regards is comparing a champion boss to an r pro boss. Not even close to the same thing so how can they have the same flight ratings!!!!

Not good IMO.

In my opinon flight ratings need to be consitant just as disc golf course ratings need to be standardized. Perhaps I am too cut and dry of a person for this sport . . . but I think these things should change to help advance the sport. Maybe it isnt a big deal but it is to me!

I don't disagree with you that different flight ratings should mean a different disc and different name. To me though, that's an issue with the PDGA tech standards not with the companies. It shouldn't be that hard to write the rules so that changing the mold requires new approval under a new name, and that would eliminate a lot of these issues. If the companies are playing by the rules, they're just using the popularity of certain discs to sell other discs under similar or the same names. Seems like a risk, but I just think they'll gain more by it than they will lose and so I can't fault them for trying to make money.

Either way, I really don't see why people are up in arms about it. In this case, they're not even making a disc that flies differently, they're just making the same disc a different way so they can make it look different.

I almost guarantee you it doesn't fly the same..........little changes affect flight

Last edited:
I almost guarantee you it doesn't fly the same..........little changes affect flight

Thats what got me riled up. Friggin Teebirds are good discs. Dont need to be messed with and I hope the old mold stays available.

I actually looked to see what discs I would replace my Innova discs if something goes astray. Without the Teebird as it stands now with me, I could easily replace them. With the Teebird that I love, it would be stupid.

Send him a stalker scooter;)

I have a couple Stalkers, Glow and ESP. ESP one doesnt fly the way people describe and havent got a chance to throw the Glow yet.

Was also thinking about trying a Tracker.

get a heavy Sabre, some of the older runs were a little more overstable like the Teebird, the newer ones are pretty nice as well just very straight (for me at least)

I hate the fact that I go to the store and have to worry about what mold disc I'm getting. I want to be able to go to a store and buy a Beast or Teebird and know they're going to be as close to normal as possible.

x2

Obviously Innova will use this mold for more and more, I mean they have to make money from the mould....

Now what is gonna happen is you go into a store that 'carries Teebirds', but not the fricking teebirds YOU want.

As a long time player (little more than 20 years); and a player that has been frustrated for quite some time with the numbers of different discs out there; I have to point out that differences in plastic has been an issue since nearly day one. In the early days, the differences were in the discs themselves; i.e. early days saw cobras, stingrays, scorpians, whippets, etc. as the newest, bestest new mold. Then, the cyclone came out and changed the whole plastic world. These advances/changes were not hard to keep up with. Not long after this time; early 90s, you began to have to get the two new drivers and/or midranges released by each company, every year. Then, you had to find the correct weight range for your play. This was still doable, with minimal investment; especially if you knew a top player who knew your game and could help with this selection.
However, this is about the same time that Innova began blending their dx plastic with plastics similar to the discraft, cyclone type of plastic. Since then, the entire thing has blown up in a big way....the result being that each company (and add a number of companies or offshoots of the main companies; i.e. Millenium et all), now release quite a number of discs in all kind of speeds. They obviously also release many of them in three or more styles of plastic. Quality runs have always been somewhat of an issue. The situation now is that this applies to quite a number of other variables, placing one in a position to spend tremendous amounts of funds simply to find the disc one likes. By the time this is figured, the main run of the disc chosen may be already somewhat difficult to find.
The answer is as it always has been; and, that is, once you find one you love, buy five or more of them, and you are set for a season or two. Personally, I have been in limbo land for a couple of seasons now, as I am searching the my latest model. One of my main pro playing buddies, throws pro wraiths as his main fairway driver. I have given the wraith a good try for two seasons and doesn't seem to be the one for me. It's o.k. but no great love that is necessary. For him, it also happens to be pro wraiths that are king. This brings up another point, in that pro plastic needs to be replaced often.
To sum up this long post; man, I miss the days of simple choices in plastic!!! I do find it slightly encouraging that the old stand bys; i.e. rocs, leopards, valkyries, teebirds, etc. seem to be some of the still preferred discs.