• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new scout

I think my buddy has one. I think...

A local record store go some x-mas discs from Gateway and they gave them to our club president. The mid range disc said s-proto and felt like a more stable panther type disc. haven't thrown it yet, and I don't think he will let me.

edit: after looking at the profile pic on the Gateway website, this xmas disc definitely is the Scout.

I have one they sent me a few weeks ago with a package deal I had ordered. I still have not thrown it and really dont have that much interest in it but I guess I will shove this thing in my bag to give it a couple test throws tomorrow.

One thing I noticed about it right away, is it looks like you could pull it apart at the parting line. It litterally looks that cheap; but who knows, maybe it will really suprise me.

Gateway need a good quality control person. They have some great mold and could really stepp up there game with some back to basics consistency.

TechnoHic said:
I have one they sent me a few weeks ago with a package deal I had ordered. I still have not thrown it and really dont have that much interest in it but I guess I will shove this thing in my bag to give it a couple test throws tomorrow.

One thing I noticed about it right away, is it looks like you could pull it apart at the parting line. It litterally looks that cheap; but who knows, maybe it will really suprise me.

It cant pull apart at the parting line. Plastic doesn't work that way. But its probably not a good sign that it would even give you that idea. I wonder about Gateway. It can't be a mystery to them why they fall so far behind in every way except putters.

money 21 said:
Gateway need a good quality control person. They have some great mold and could really stepp up there game with some back to basics consistency.

if you have ever seen their setup, you'd know why their discs come out looking like that :p I'm fairly certain QC is the last thing they are worried about.

you should have seen the spelling mistakes on the stamp for the last STL vs Columbia Ryder Cup discs...

Ryan C said:
TechnoHic said:

It cant pull apart at the parting line. Plastic doesn't work that way. But its probably not a good sign that it would even give you that idea. I wonder about Gateway. It can't be a mystery to them why they fall so far behind in every way except putters.

Yeah, it litterally looks like 2 discs stacked on top of each other. I'll see if I can get a decent picture.

Here it is. Pictures kind of crappy, but you can see it along the left edge.

img00044201101281404.jpg

Yeah, they didn't have the mold properly aligned when they ran the piece. This is usually only possible if the mold, or the machine, is in very bad shape. I've seen in happen on discs before. The plastic is still just in one piece though. It isn't as though they have two halves of a disc and glue them together.

I was looking to see if it matched up anywhere, the top piece just seems bigger. I wondered if they were trying to make them domey on purpose and failed.

Ryan C said:
Yeah, they didn't have the mold properly aligned when they ran the piece. This is usually only possible if the mold, or the machine, is in very bad shape. I've seen in happen on discs before. The plastic is still just in one piece though. It isn't as though they have two halves of a disc and glue them together.

I really don't think Tech thought they were two different pieces, I think he was just using that as a description of what is wrong with the disc.

zj1002 said:

A local record store go some x-mas discs from Gateway and they gave them to our club president. The mid range disc said s-proto and felt like a more stable panther type disc. haven't thrown it yet, and I don't think he will let me.

edit: after looking at the profile pic on the Gateway website, this xmas disc definitely is the Scout.
ZJ -- we have a good ton-or-so of these as protos, mostly blanks
there's a box of them in the store

Frank Delicious said:
Ryan C said:

I really don't think Tech thought they were two different pieces, I think he was just using that as a description of what is wrong with the disc.

Its a little bit of both. Mainly just my description, but I really dont know much about how discs are made. The only reason I pay attention to the parting line is to see the PLH. Sort of became a little habit for me after seeing some molds fly a bit differently.

It just looks shotty to me.

TechnoHic said:
Frank Delicious said:
Ryan C said:

Its a little bit of both. Mainly just my description, but I really dont know much about how discs are made. The only reason I pay attention to the parting line is to see the PLH. Sort of became a little habit for me after seeing some molds fly a bit differently.

It just looks shotty to me.

It most definitely is shotty.

victorb said:
money 21 said:

if you have ever seen their setup, you'd know why their discs come out looking like that :p I'm fairly certain QC is the last thing they are worried about.

you should have seen the spelling mistakes on the stamp for the last STL vs Columbia Ryder Cup discs...
Funny story (possibly only to me, but I'll share.) In 1995 Dave installed Manchester, Watson Trail and Endicott. He had this stamp run to show how disc golf was growing in the Lou:
013-1.jpg

You will notice that Endicott is spelled "Endicot," a typo that made me chuckle since Dave had grown up around Endicott. Anyway, in 2008 Dave decided to take this stamp and redo it to add all the new courses. It had something like 14 courses on it. I don't have a picture, so you will have to take my word for it...he never changed the typo and the discs still said "Endicot." He only had 13 years to fix that. :roll:

lol thats funny. I was joking around at the other board that if I happen to love the Scout for some reason, I will have "Wicked Game" stuck in my head every time I throw it. Now, Im thinking I hear that when I toss my Magics.

Leopard said:
zj1002 said:

ZJ -- we have a good ton-or-so of these as protos, mostly blanks
there's a box of them in the store
I assumed we had some. I might test em out