• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Shoe Struggles!?

TurkeyVulture

Bogey Member
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has ever experienced a timing/pitch issue when purchasing new shoes?

It might seem far fetched but its literally my last idea before blowing my form up and starting from scratch.

All last year I was making good improvements constantly with my form, Friday I decided to treat myself to a new pair of Salomon Ultra 3 Gtx's, noticed the heels sit a bit higher in them than my flat adidas did. I also noticed all my shots coming out on more of a hyzer angle since buying them.

Yesterday during 2 rounds I was struggling to get a good, flat release which is something I havent had happen in a while, along with some timing issues I attribute to a shorter run up than normal due to 3 feet of mud at the back of each teepad, ill usually start my X Step as the first step on to the pad in the winter/summer.

Just curious if anyone's experienced a minor shift when switching shoes I guess, im a bit of a rambler.

Thanks in advance!
tv.

Hogwash I say.

The only time my timing gets funky because of footwear is when I wear my bulky winter boots and that's likely more the way they limit my mobility and movement than anything to do with the boot itself.

I have three different pairs of shoes that I usually wear when I play and all three are slightly different but they haven't messed with my game.

Keep wearing the new kicks because it isn't likely they have trashed your form. Everyone has an off day every now and then.

Shoes can definitely make a difference. I can't play in a couple worn out pair of Adidas because the wear on the soles. Every time I tried to play in them I felt unstable on my plant foot.

Weight as well. I had heavier New Balance hiking boots and can tell my timing is off a bit and just throw worse in them.

I would say try and get use to them. Shoes can make a difference in how well you throw as we rely on power and accuracy from proper footing. If you ever played in the winter on ice you would know how important footing is when you have no grip and can't put much of anything on a shot.

Hogwash I say.

The only time my timing gets funky because of footwear is when I wear my bulky winter boots and that's likely more the way they limit my mobility and movement than anything to do with the boot itself.

I have three different pairs of shoes that I usually wear when I play and all three are slightly different but they haven't messed with my game.

Like Ray, I have several pairs of shoes I use for DG, and the only time I really notice a difference is when I'm wearing clunky, heavy winter boots.

I change between Merrill mids, Hi Tech mids, Salomon lows, and Mountain Whse lows, and never noticed my footwork feeling different.

That said, I won't write the OP off as complete hogwash.

Different shoes definitely have different constructions and feel different on your feet. Perhaps the reason I never felt what I think is a significant difference is because I go through the motions of my run up and X-Step when I try them on right in the store. I admit it's gotten me some strange looks. But...

On a few occasions, I've decided not to purchase a pair that felt good just walking around, but didn't feel quite "right" when I tried my run up. I can't put my finger on exactly what I didn't like, but I'll just say something made me think, "Nope, these ain't for me."

Not saying my process is scientific or empirical, but I do think it helps ensure that what I'm buying is fairly consistent with what I'm used to.

I definitely notice a difference with different shoes...though mostly during field work. If I have on my casual shoes that are canvas-y and flimsy, I have found myself to often throw nose-up because the shoes feel weak and I don't trust to plant my front foot hard. End up throwing off my back foot and doing all kinds of bad things.

Wearing my retired basketball shoes, they are solid and I feel completely confident with any kind of planting/bracing in them.

Ultimately, it's less a shoe issue than a comfortability issue in certain shoes.

If you think it is messing with your throw...it is messing with your throw. It may all be in your head, but a lot of the game is mental.

I don't think it would be good to stop using them though. You need to overcome the mental hurdle as long as they aren't going to get you injured.

If you think it is messing with your throw...it is messing with your throw. It may all be in your head, but a lot of the game is mental.

I don't think it would be good to stop using them though. You need to overcome the mental hurdle as long as they aren't going to get you injured.

Yeah, once some thoughts creep into your head, unthinking them can be extremely difficult.

Thanks guys, thinking back now its probably a mental thing I concocted on my own... lol

I mean, my general style of throwing is a head height hyzer flip, but, something just wasn't clicking.

Next time I manage to play ill tell myself that the shoes are amazing and I can throw 100' further with them... lol

Thanks guys, thinking back now its probably a mental thing I concocted on my own... lol

I mean, my general style of throwing is a head height hyzer flip, but, something just wasn't clicking.

Next time I manage to play ill tell myself that the shoes are amazing and I can throw 100' further with them... lol

In the case that you won't be able to throw 100' further with the new shoes just think about how well Paul McBeth was able to throw even with an injured foot and boot. Or how well Simon Lizotte can throw while wearing an inflatable alien costume. You have to find a feeling through your body that doesn't rely on the grip of the shoes being exactly right, or your pants being loose enough, or only in short sleeves, or no sun outside, and so on...

I've seen players crumble when it starts to rain, or when there is snow on the teepad.
I've seen players play horrible when they've had a beer or two, or if the forgot to bring their hat.

Last year I've played a lot of winter disc golf and glow rounds, and I've come to realize that I can throw well even when it's slippery or pitch dark if I just trust my ability to do so and exercise that ability.

Look at it as something you want to work on. You'll want to play well even in the dumbest shoes possible.

In the case that you won't be able to throw 100' further with the new shoes just think about how well Paul McBeth was able to throw even with an injured foot and boot. Or how well Simon Lizotte can throw while wearing an inflatable alien costume. You have to find a feeling through your body that doesn't rely on the grip of the shoes being exactly right, or your pants being loose enough, or only in short sleeves, or no sun outside, and so on...

I've seen players crumble when it starts to rain, or when there is snow on the teepad.
I've seen players play horrible when they've had a beer or two, or if the forgot to bring their hat.

Last year I've played a lot of winter disc golf and glow rounds, and I've come to realize that I can throw well even when it's slippery or pitch dark if I just trust my ability to do so and exercise that ability.

Look at it as something you want to work on. You'll want to play well even in the dumbest shoes possible.

Once, you are set on a shot, you COULD throw with your eyes closed. Not recommended that, but the actual throw is vision translated to action.

I have a pair of zero drop minimalist trail runners, and a traditional trail running shoe. If I switch them up randomly it will absolutely throw me off. Besides the footwork, the zero drop gives me a significantly better base for putting, but the zero drop burns up my calves walking up and down hills. Both the positive and negatives of the zero drop are significant.

my waterproof pair of boots are slick af

my other water resistant boots are grippy af

big difference on teepad grip

also big difference in both when traversing up or down icy hills

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has ever experienced a timing/pitch issue when purchasing new shoes?

It might seem far fetched but its literally my last idea before blowing my form up and starting from scratch.

All last year I was making good improvements constantly with my form, Friday I decided to treat myself to a new pair of Salomon Ultra 3 Gtx's, noticed the heels sit a bit higher in them than my flat adidas did. I also noticed all my shots coming out on more of a hyzer angle since buying them.

Yesterday during 2 rounds I was struggling to get a good, flat release which is something I havent had happen in a while, along with some timing issues I attribute to a shorter run up than normal due to 3 feet of mud at the back of each teepad, ill usually start my X Step as the first step on to the pad in the winter/summer.

Just curious if anyone's experienced a minor shift when switching shoes I guess, im a bit of a rambler.

Thanks in advance!
tv.

Exact same issue w Salomons...the wider heel base was fing me up. Didn't realize how badly until switched to Oboz or whatever that brand is called. 100% different heel structure and feel. Still suck, but much easier to pivot.

To wit:

picture.php

The top is some Salomon...the heel is super wide and juts out behind the back of the shoe. Great for hiking up mountains and scampering on big rock chunks. F'ing HORRIBLE for disc golf, at least for my body.

The bottom pair are good for through hiking and strolling around on flat areas...lateral support is horrific and I've already almost rolled an ankle or two just walking around in these things, but they're hella better at disc golf (for my body).

Switching between the two was one of those "OooooH!" moments.

No big form breakthrough or anything magic, just didn't feel like I was fighting against myself so much.

Can't say I relate to this at all -

The only time shoes have ever affected my throw is when I played I wore the shoes I got from work that felt like they weighed about 5 pounds a piece and conditions were muddy. Literally no way to move through your form smoothly!

Aside from that the shoes don't make a difference to me.