• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new sidearm discs

The Flick is very overstable and has a shallow rim, some like it, some don't. I agree with the Teebird suggestion, you should try to get that to be your straight forehand disc, and then maybe a Destroyer for long distance with a finishing fade.

Most people use overstable high speed discs for forehand drives, mainly because the stability will compensate for less than ideal technique. I'd suggest investing in a good Valkyrie - its a really responsive disc, great for learning how changes in your throw affects flight. You'll still be able to play just as good a round while also refining technique, even though your drives may be 20' longer if you pick up a Boss.

ESP Nuke or Champ Wraith for slight turnover shots FH. For Straight to Hyzer shots, I'd recommend an Echo Star Boss or Echo Star Xcal.

I can't understand how people say "Use the same discs as BH" Like a Valk or PD. Maybe (Probably? Definitely?) I'm an OAT monster FH, but I turn those right into rollers or they go way left and never come back RHFH.

i guess i should have specified i havent only been playing three months, i have played for roughly two years and havent been going at it seriously until recently. arm strength and wrist snap is not a problem. lacrosse and hockey have allowed for technique and power in those positions.

A TeeBird and a Comet. If you can't consistently throw these discs dead straight with your forehand, you need work on your forehand, not another disc.

Super fast discs (Nukes, Forces, Flicks, Wraiths) will net you distance gains and a ton of bad habits. If you really want to up your distance, do it right. I have friends that throw super fast discs, and I'm rarely too far behind them in the fairway throwing TBs (I just switched to PDs very recently) and Comets. I can get TBs out to ~325' and still fade at the end of their flight (the distance potential of this disc is enormous). My Comets fly to 250'-275'.

I don't mean to be mean, but I remember where I was during my early years of playing. Buy slower discs and learn to throw them correctly. If someone were nice enough to give me the advice I just gave you (no matter how little I wanted to hear it), it would have saved me a bunch of "huck and pray that my Force/Flick/Wraith/Nuke doesn't OAT itself into the ground five feet in front of me" throws and untold strokes.

My .02

If arm strength/wrist snap isn't a problem you may want to check out a Destroyer for your forehand distance driver then, maybe a Nuke if you like Discraft. For drives under 325 or 350 you'll be better off throwing something slower so you don't go sailing/skipping past the basket. Teebird, Eagle-X (star eagle), Banshee, Orc, Predator, Firebird.....

A Pro Destroyer got me started throwing RHBH again about a month ago. A champ Wraith is also pretty good. But, I got a 172 ESP Nuke last week and it just bombs for me forehand. The nice thing is that, more than any other disc in my bag, I can keep it low and it just holds the line I put it on with just a little fade on the end.