• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New star Wraith vs new dx wraith...big difference?

Burrito

Birdie Member
I just lost a 12x Star Wraith, with a tourney coming up this weekend. I was starting to love that disc, but all I can replace it with in town is a Dx version. The disc was new...maybe 50 throws with no hits, so not really worked in at all. If I get a dx can I expect much difference?

Shakermaker said:
I just lost a 12x Star Wraith, with a tourney coming up this weekend. I was starting to love that disc, but all I can replace it with in town is a Dx version. The disc was new...maybe 50 throws with no hits, so not really worked in at all. If I get a dx can I expect much difference?

Yes...The dx will probably not be as stable and will feel and fly differently all around.

Exactly what I didn't want to hear. Bummer. I lost a 161, so it's sort of a tough weight to replace. It looks like I'll have to source out a batch of replacements in that weight(ish) online and hope they fly similar.

Can you find a Pro Wraith? They start out stable and work in gradually.
Don't bother with DX.

I'm looking to replace a 161 Star - it flew very stable (not over, not under) with a very slight "s" when released flat for 350ft of distance...maybe 20ft of lateral movement, then slight fade. It was pretty stiff, and not flippy at all. If I missed the release, it would end up fading harder. If I nailed it, I would get a gentle "s" with minimal fade.

I can find a 167 Pro Wraith that is very domey, or a variety of DX Wraiths in various weights. Am I going to get a better match from the 167 Pro?

Shakermaker said:
I'm looking to replace a 161 Star - it flew very stable (not over, not under) with a very slight "s" when released flat for 350ft of distance...maybe 20ft of lateral movement, then slight fade. It was pretty stiff, and not flippy at all. If I missed the release, it would end up fading harder. If I nailed it, I would get a gentle "s" with minimal fade.

I can find a 167 Pro Wraith that is very domey, or a variety of DX Wraiths in various weights. Am I going to get a better match from the 167 Pro?
I say if you can't reliably find a 161g Star Wraith then you should audition the 165-170g Pro and leave the DX alone. The match will be better with Pro in flight and grip.

I had a 164 star wraith that was my go to driver. My replacement star wraiths have been hit or miss at best. I have one that is domey (164) and one that is flat (164) both are 12X and both couldn't be MORE DIFFERENT than my original disc (also a 164 12X) My original was very stiff and flew a nice tight S-curve with a nice predictable right to left finish. The newer ones feel like they are made of rubber - no kidding. They are as flimsy as any new disc I have ever had. Flimsy, & soft - they are as flimsy and soft as a super stupid soft Wizard putter. They have to be thrown just about perfect to get a flight pattern like my original. Even when thrown clean, the distance is shorter, and the disc is a borderline meat hook. Easily 20ft shorter on average.

Now on to the original question. I picked up 2 new DX Wraiths last week (both 165) and they are much closer to the first one I had. The DX plastic is VERY STIFF compared to the Stars I have.
Night and day difference. Distance seems to be just a hair under where I was throwing the other (the one I lost) but have a flight pattern that is almost identical. I like them, it's just that they scratch and nick up so easily. They are more flat than the domey ones. * I will agree with the others - the DX isn't quite as stable.

It's disappointing that the same discs in the same weight, and same plastic can be sooooo different - frustrating to say the least.

I think that the stiff DX ones will be closer to your original than the champ (at least mine are)..... I'd definitely steer clear of a wraith that is soft/flimsy. Not consistent at all. Just my 2c

So here's my happy ending update. I ended up getting my Star Wraith back, despite it not having a name marked on it. Thanks to the guys that found it and checked the local forum...huge Karma!!!

In the mean time, I had also bought a Dx and a Pro. In the Dx I looked for stiff plastic with no dome in a slightly heavier weight, hoping it would offset what people thougth would be a less stable disc. In the Pro, I looked for stiff plastic and ended up with a high time in a heavier weight (that's all there was). Here are some comparisons:

Star Wraith, 161g - medium dome, stiff plastic
Flies with a tight "s", very controllable when released for 350' of distance (controlled course release). I love this disc.

Pro Wraith, 169g - high dome, very stiff plastic
Slightly more overstable than the Star, which is understandable given the weight increase. Need to concentrate a bit more on release to get a controlled move, and still end up with a wider "s". Slightly less distance than the Star...consistently 330ish feet with controlled, course release (versus all out field).

Dx Wraith, 165g - flat, very stiff plastic
This was a huge surprise. This disc bombs! Very controllable, with the exact same flight as the Star but significantly more distance. With the same effort and release as the Star, I was consistently getting 380-400' (which is what I usually get in field practice with by best discs). This was a huge shocker for me. There were a few more at the shop that looked exactly the same in flex, weight and dome, so I will definitely be scooping them up and treating them carefully.

Really, really shocked at how good the DX was for me. Easily, my most controllable long distance driver.

Latest posts