• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to Disc golf

dgar

Par Member
Hi Im a 48 year old beginner, started playing about a month ago ( with wham o freesbies the first day :)). I live in the Memphis area TN.. I feel fortunate to a have several courses nearby,
the closest is about three miles from my house.. it has several wooded holes that keep me in the shade during the summer heat..

So far I've enjoyed my self, I love getting out in the woods.. disc golf has given me a good reason to enjoy the outdoors.

I would describe my current level of play as ( IT SUCKS ) :\ , crazy last week I teed of on a short 140 ft hole and hit the yellow band on top of the basket. I guess that and the other rare shots that find there way near the basket are what keep me interested. But for the most part every-shot has an equal chance of success or disaster..

watching videos on you-tube and reading what I can, but really the lingo.. hyzer,anhyzer, rollover, Mando.. GEEZ what about just left to right ect.. guess it'll come in time.

My current disc are 2 BUZZ one is SS Z plastic, the other is DiscratXBuzz, also have avair, and a Innova StarWedge putt and approach.. Im convinced that no disc at this time is going to make a huge difference.. my throws are so inconsistent... left then right..in the thorn bushes, damn trees...

AHH just sharing the joys of a newbie, anyone in the memphis area want to play Johnson Park or Shelby farms.. shoot me an email. I promise to make you look good.

Welcome to the site and the addiction. Which way do you throw backhand or forehand? and which arm do use to throw? If I were to recommend a disc I'd say get a lighter weight leopard in either dx or star. Have a nice 4th!

regarding which way I throw.. In general backhand.. but read yesterday many new players have success with forehand, watched a few videos .. so today I mixed it up.. the forehand had its moments, but again no consistency with either, or not to the point where I'm confident that when I throw the disc I wont be hacking some tree.. Just the inexperience, I'm hard headed "wont quit..."

lil info on me, several years ago I quit smoking and remember going for my first run went around the block once, came home wheezing as if I was going to die.
Remember thinking this wont beat me.. 12 mos later I ran my first marathon, when I get my mind locked in on something I want to do I can be pretty stubborn. At times this can be a blessing or a curse.. But these little plastic disc are not going to get the best of me

Happy 4th to you as well..

If you're throwing right hand backhand or left hand forehand and you're finding the disc to go from left to right it just might be some release issues if you're throwing right hand forehand or a left hand backhand that should be a normal hyzer pattern. I might not be able to describe everything that you can do, but in the technique forum you can post video of yourself throwing in the Form analysis/critique section and people can help you determine what you can do to fix some things in form/release. It's good to have determination like that. It will help you accomplish many things.

Welcome to the site and the addiction. Which way do you throw backhand or forehand? and which arm do use to throw? If I were to recommend a disc I'd say get a lighter weight leopard in either dx or star. Have a nice 4th!

I'd second this. I honestly think a 150g DX Leopard is one of the best beginner drivers ever. You seem to be in pretty good shape with your mids and putters. Pick up a Leopard and you should be set for a while. Also, just try and stay patient and ask for advice from others you play with. With time, progress will come.

You honestly have some great discs for a beginner - save yourself the headache and don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff quite yet. It'll just lead to frustration because at your current level 99% of everything out there will fly the same for ya. Just keep enjoying it as much as you are right now. Those moments you're talking about where you throw the best shot you've ever thrown are what get most of us addicted to this game, so cherish that and just keep huckin'!

Welcome and good luck!

dgar - I'm 10 years older but also basically started about a month ago. This morning I had my first real field sidearm practice to see if I can get more distance as my distance SUCKS!! Like you have have watched videos and ever recorded my self to see myself.

One thing I have noticed as I'm not as flexible as I was 30 years ago - WHO KNEW and when did that happen!!

I have more control backhand but it's a lot more work and after an 18 of 95% backhand my back shoulder REALLY feels it. So I want to maybe get to 60/40 back hand side arm. I have about the same distance but less work side arm.

If you wish to talk with a fellow newbie about our struggles feel free to PM me (not saying better players would not help your game more then me though).

Rod

I also started when in my mid 40s (alas 20+ years ago). What I've seen with newbies in our gray hair group is they often try to kill their drives for distance. When they settle for less distance and more accuracy/control two things often occur: their scores get lower and their distance will naturally increase:clap::clap:. I'm still a weenie arm in my mid 60s but really smile when I beat some of the 20-yr-olds that can throw a mile but do not understand how to play disc golf.

Hello I am new to this site as well but have been playing for about a year now. You had mentioned you have several courses near you? I would recommend finding a course that is very open to begin with. I have some great courses near where I live but have spent much of my time playing at this small nine hole in Urbana, IL. Playing on an open course will give you the opportunity to just let the disc fly and see the path the disc will take without having to worry about hacking down those trees. Another thing I would say is just be consistent with your throws. I myself throw RHBH because I think you can put lots of power behind your shot, when I go to tee off if something doesn't feel right I won't throw. Its a casual sport and most of the time there shouldn't be any kind of hurry. Its all about building muscle memory and practice practice practice.

ps congrats on giving up the cancer sticks been going strong for a while myself and have considered running a half marathon as well. :clap:

Welcome newbies, to the site! And even better, congrats to anyone who has quit smoking.

:thmbup:

I'm 66 and just started playing a little over two months ago. I live in Kingsport, TN and play at Warrior's Path and Steele Creek in Bristol. When everything's perfect (rarely) I can throw 200', maybe 225' and at my age that's probably the best I can expect.

I like Steele Creek because it's so open and fairly easy so it's good for my confidence.

Anyway, if any of you gray beards in the Tri-Cities area would like to get together and play a round or two, I'm up for that.

I agree with the suggestion to avoid buying discs. I've got a box full of stuff I bought and don't use. Because honestly the discs you have will serve you just fine. The Roc throwers (pun intended) will hate this but the Buzzz is the most popular mid-range for a reason.

I'd suggest you go to an open field (football/soccer) and just throw your discs up and down the field. Work on smooth form with consistent flat release angle. It's hard to learn how to throw while you're hunting for discs in the woods.

Welcome and good luck!!

2002P51. Off topic for one second - First of all that name has P51 in it and since I take fine art photos of WWII planes is there a Mustang in your life?

Also. THANK YOU. I have been wondering just how far a newbie can expect to advance in distance at 60 years old. I see a lot of talk of dudes worrying about going from 500 to 600 feet. If I could get to 225 I would be ecstatic. I'll get there.

I disagree with KniceZ and buying discs. If buying a new disc is fun. Do it. It's part of the sport. Will it help your game? Probably not. Buying a new disc is called . . . Hope. :)

2002P51. Off topic for one second - First of all that name has P51 in it and since I take fine art photos of WWII planes is there a Mustang in your life?

Also. THANK YOU. I have been wondering just how far a newbie can expect to advance in distance at 60 years old. I see a lot of talk of dudes worrying about going from 500 to 600 feet. If I could get to 225 I would be ecstatic. I'll get there.

I disagree with KniceZ and buying discs. If buying a new disc is fun. Do it. It's part of the sport. Will it help your game? Probably not. Buying a new disc is called . . . Hope. :)

Yes, the Mustang is a 2002, hence the license plate; "2002P51"

I'm beginning to learn that pure distance without control is useless. Keep in mind I said when everything goes right I can throw 200'. I'm much more often in the 150 -175 range and I'm okay with that on most holes. That will give me an upshot that gets me an easy putt for a three. And on those rare occasions when everything goes right, I can make a deuce.

My budget helps keep my desire for more discs in check. I once lost two discs in one round at Warrior's Path and I really can't afford to do that too often. I currently have 8 in my bag and until I can learn more control and make those 8 do what they are supposed to I don't need any more.

Welcome to the forum and the sport. I would only have one very practical suggestion as to which discs may work best for you at your age and skill level. Glide factor, and lower weight discs may be something that helps you with control and distance. There are discs that are meant to glide through the air with greater ease (technology is great) that require less effort/speed than their counterparts.

A couple examples that come to mind, and there are many more: Instead of a buzz (which is a great disc, but takes more speed and effort to be thrown to its full potential) I might suggest a latitude fuse in the gold line plastic in a low weight (low 160 gram). My guess would be that you will find it going straighter and further with less effort. Another example might be getting a low weight Westside Underworld instead of a leopard. The leopard is a great disc but the Underworld has freaky glide that might get you more distance with less effort.
I personally have had good success with less stable, higher glide discs because I like to throw as smoothly and under control as possible yet get as much distance as I can.
I'm not saying this formula will fix all your errant throws or flawed form, but it may unlock some potential increase in distance that you are seeking. The fact is that newer technology in disc design allows for greater distance possibilities for a wider variety of people and I personally believe one should leverage this to their advantage and as your game/form/distance grows and changes more possibilities will present themselves to you in the future. Experiment, have fun, never say no to trying different discs, grips, throws etc. JUST HAVE A GOOD TIME AND ENJOY YOURSELF. As you grow, you will weed away what is right and works best for you in every aspect of the game.

Welcome. I think u got some good disc to start, always remember "the disc will only fly, if u throw it". So all this .....u should buy "X" disc in "X" plastic in "X" weight... will only make ur wallet lighter and ur frustration greater. Just stick with what u have and learn the technique and when u get the hang of it....THE ADDICTION WILL CONSUME YOU!!!

I thought I would update my newbie intro post.....

Most of the playing I've done has been on a wooded course,,,,

This morning went out played and "well"... I wasn't pleased with my game. At times I see progress and at other times I feel the good shots are more a stroke of blind luck than actual progress..

Ive been reading up on different techniques and sometimes I wounder how much its helping? One thing I need in the woods is a shot that will finish to the right, I throw RHBH, so Ive tried throwing sidearm the disc rotating the opposite direction seems to give the disc a natural fade to the right..., if I don't roll my wrist over, which will send it on a hard left hand path :(

I read up on hyzer flip, looked simple enough on the videos, not so much in practice..

Today I thought okay spend a little time in the field practicing sidearm.. very inconsistent.. sometimes the disc took off right some leveled off then faded right.. this put me way to far out to right UGHHHH

Any way.. just venting a little.

I'm considering going out to a local course that has league play every thursday... for no other reason than hopefully watching a few people that are better than me... If they play doubles Ill feel sorry for the person I might get paired with ... I'll keep you guys updated.

Just had a disappointing day .. I want more constancy

Latest posts