• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to Lat64/DD/WS drivers. Suggestions?

Great thread. I'm also interested in trying out some Westside plastic. I throw Pre Barry Beasts, Old Champ Orcs, Starfires, Nukes as drivers. 11x Teebirds, Pro Line Gremlins, Monsters, Wasps, and Buzzzes as mids and fairways. Can you guys familiar with these discs and Euro discs offer some advice. I throw RHBH. The Beasts and Orcs are thrown with control, if I torque them too much they'll flip.

Thanks.

I didn't realize the Flow was only speed 10, felt wider rimmed than that. I think I'll try a Sword though, they sound interesting. If anyone wants to trade an Opto equivalant Sword let me know.

I have an Opto Flow. Significantly shorter than my Destroyers. If I were given mine with no stamp, I'd have thought it was a very stable Beast.

Get a VIP Underworld and a Sword. Northman is clean too, nice neutral flight. Basically replaced the heavy Champ Valk for me.

(I have 2 discs in my bag that are not WestsiDDe64, Jokeri and Roc3)

They are both speed 11. you have to subtract at least one from all of WestSide's speed ratings.

Flow is an 11 and I'll agree they're close but most people will get slightly more distance out of a sword. I tried to stick with the Flow but they weren't as consistent as I would like. One GL is flippy one is pretty beefy. Same as I felt about the Striker. Potentially great but never the most consistent mold.

Try a sword, flow, and trespass together. My money is on the Trespass winning you over.

You've got good suggestions already, but definitely look at the Villain (faster XXX) and the Trespass. I think you might find the Trespass to be a good Quasar replacement. Also, the Sword may impress you for big turnovers and hyzer-flips - it's not so good in a headwind though.

I'm interested in ordering some drivers to test out in April and haven't thrown anything by either of these companies except my XXX's, which I really like.

Here is my current line up, fh and bh for all discs.

XXX - OS utility, short control shots, hard fades, monster headwinds
Shock - Moderately overstable workhorse
Volt - Neutral line shaper
Amp - Turnovers
Quasar - Beat and broken in, one for turnovers and all out max D, the other for consistent D, max D in moderate headwinds etc.

Which discs do you think I should consider, and what would they compare against in my bag the most?

I'm slowly changing my bag to a lat bag just because their disc just work for me, but heres my two cents:

XXX: keep it
Opto Striker: opto is a little more overstable, but this disc can handle some torque and a wonderful work horse
Volt: The volt is magic, good turn and good fade
Opto River: I compare it to a roadrunner which is my turnover disc, I had one and I just couldnt get consistant with it, but when the stars aligned it put me pin high every time
GL Bolt: This is the ultra-long-turn-over disc. You may want to go opto with your rip, but this is my left to right disc for over 375'. I imagine it makes a great roller down the road.

OPTO TRIDENT: Dear lord I love this disc!! I use this for extreme pin placement shots. It doesnt skip and roll and if it does very small. Its very stable but you can turn it over a touch for that extra distance but i dare you to try and turn and burn it. Anyway this is my 335' and under placement disc. Its slower so you wont out drive your target most likely but faster than a mid and can handle a rip. I use it both FH and BH and am equally happy with it. It also does great for those short FH rollers you need to get out from trouble for the putt.

I havent tried DD or WS but so far LAT64 is earning its spot in my bag

Im a big fan of the River in gold line plastic. Comparable to my volt, but more glide/less fade. I just have had 0 luck with my Volt. It's been a tree magnet

Last edited:
My home course is more about finesse than distance so for me the River and the Vision get the most use. I've tried the Saint but could never find a spot for it, kept reaching for my Striker. Also my bag will never be without an Opto Fuse.

I've thrown a friends Sword and Warship and they are both great discs. From what I've seen just about anything from from Lat64/DD/WS will be worth your time and money.

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made here. My two cents is to get whatever you're getting in Opto/VIP plastic. For one the plastic is glorious. Grippy and indestructible. 2nd the discs seem to hold much truer to their flight ratings in these plastics than in GL or TP. I like the underworld for turnovers - like a beat river or leopard. The saint is awesome. The sword is pretty dang nice too

The River and Giant are staples in my bag. I love the River for shaping any lines under 300-325. Its great for tailwinds, low ceilings, and lazer beams. The Giant is a fast, OS beefcake. I throw the VIP Giant into any wind, and is great for FH. The TP Giant is more workable and I bet with your arm you could throw some huge flex shots. The DD Suspect is a longer Zone with more glide. I found the DD Escape to shape similar lines to a Teebird, just faster. Trespass is similar to a Destroyer. Hope this helps! Keep the vids coming!

I tested six domey opto Flows and they were much shorter than the star bosses I was throwing at the time. They had a lot of HSS and LSS so they may have changed from what I just read from others in this thread since all were more stable than any of my swords.

I bagged a few GL Swords and an Opto Sword. The GLs were very stable straight discs that didn't preform well into headwinds. I dropped them when one was flipped and burned by a moderate L to R crosswind in a tourney. I thought the star boss and esp nukes were longer and Max D was the main reason I put them in the bag. The Opto swords were more stable but still not great into the wind.

I like the King in VIP but the Tournament is a turn and burn in all but a tailwind. The Kings in my sale thread are all the "good" kind with decent HSS and solid fade. Again, I tried them for Max D and found esp nukes to be longer.

I really like my tournament boatman. I played in 25mph winds last week and with some hyzer they never flipped. They aren't the furthest flying disc for the rim width but they have a hard dumping fade that is easy to range both BH and FH. I've got a couple VIP Boatman that I bought for big winds but they don't get much play as the tourney plastic performs well in all wind directions and from what I've read, should be an overstable compliment your Shock.

Didn't read most of the other replies, but as a diehard Swedish thrower, some ideas to mull over:

Giant - great in any plastic, even VIP Air (blizz). Looong, big stability. Bossish? Great for headwind max d and long anny bombs.
King - don't buy a King you can't touch first. Domey in either plastic is the literal king of 500' hyzer-flips. Flat is insta-roller.
Trespass - like a perfectly broken in destroyer, right out of the box.
Villain - fast, workable, overstable. Bh or flicks 300-400+'.
Saint/escape - great in either plastic. Not stable, but neutral. Accurate, great in the trees.
Stag - Westside's teebird.
Underworld - Westside's Leopard.
Xxx - you already know.

Lol I guess I'm the only one to show the halo love. Forgot the giant as well though great disc that had tons of glide for being so beefy

I love my giants. I tell any one who will listen to me about my giant love. I have a super pop top giant for head winds and flatter ones for more distance shots. The pop top is so beefy it refuses to flip into head winds its great. I just got a tresspass but the domey bio fusion I have is like a fresh destroyer except better. I like it so far. I was not a huge fan of the halo the rim is weird for me.

Latest posts