• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to site, with bag questions!

H0ax

Hey guys! Been disc golfing now for a little over 2 years and was the typical weekend warrior! Lately I have been getting more into it and playing a round every day that I can!

I just upgraded my bag to an actual backpack bag and had a few questions for how you guys fill yours. Currently my bag entails:

Star Katana
Champion Firebird
DX Boss
Star Sidewinder
Star Teebird
Opto Light Jade
Star Mako
Star Mako3
Star Roc3
DX Roc x2
Drone
Zone
DX Classic Aviar x2
XT Nova

Im debating since I am still new to buy lots of different molds and see what ones I like or if I should just stick with what I have and slowly add more of the ones I like as they get beaten in / become more understable etc. I don't have the greatest distance quite yet, but have been working on my form more and more and see that I am slowly getting there. My average drives go anywhere from 280-310.

Thanks for any tips you guys have in advance!

I'm kind of a newb myself - been playing just over a year. That said, I think you have enough (maybe more than enough) different molds. I think you would do well to get comfortable with the molds that you already throw, and maybe add some duplicates to your bag in a different weight and/or different plastic.

Welcome to DGCR. Be careful. I think 50-75% of my disc purchases have been directly influenced by the folks on here.

Looks like a decent setup for a beginner, though no one on here is likely to recommend the Boss or Katana as a beginner (too fast). Which disc goes longest for you? Sidewinder? Jade? Boss? Do you throw forehand or backhand?

Here are some things I like about your setup: 1) Star Teebird, period. It may be slightly too overstable for a new player backhand, but it's not too fast, and it makes for an EXCELLENT forehand disc. 2) Some stable/understable stuff, from Sidewinder and Jade down to Mako/Mako3, and the fact that you have them in premium plastic means you'll be able to keep improving your form and getting good flight out of them without them getting too flippy to soon. 3) Some good practice discs, e.g. DX Aviars (depending on how willing you are to beat them up by using them for form practice), DX Rocs, and XT Nova.

As far as the Firebird, Drone, and Zone, I wouldn't focus on learning with them, but they're probably great at times on the course. Start practicing some skip shots with the Firebird, or heavy fade shots with Drone/Zone.

There's no reason to get a certain disc type, mold, etc. unless you need it to do something on the course. What's missing from your game? For me, I'll get an idea of what I'm looking for, then check the forums on here or check with other disc golfers I know, and then try a new disc. Good luck.

I'm new too my bag

Putter
Discraft Challenger x5 (because I have room for a stack) this is my general use putter
Prodigy Pa4 (I think that's the one I kept) only used occasionally because it fades a bit more than my Challenger

Mids

Prodigy M3 and M4 the M3 has more fade and is general use the M4 is for tunnel shots

Fairway
Prodigy F1 I am like to power this down and use it like an overstable mid (with a lower line)
Prodigy F2 Headwind driver

Prodigy F7 I think they are 158 and 168 I generally use the lighter one but the heavier one is for a slight breeze in my face

Innova Leopard much cheaper than a F7 used over water

The rest of my bag is filled with copies of my favorites because I play near alot of water and don't wanna have to play a round without them.

I'm kind of a newb myself - been playing just over a year. That said, I think you have enough (maybe more than enough) different molds. I think you would do well to get comfortable with the molds that you already throw, and maybe add some duplicates to your bag in a different weight and/or different plastic.

Yes this was my other idea to just load up on different weights and plastics of the discs I already throw. Thank you for confirming this for me! Now to find x-outs or slowly add on :D

Welcome to DGCR. Be careful. I think 50-75% of my disc purchases have been directly influenced by the folks on here.

Looks like a decent setup for a beginner, though no one on here is likely to recommend the Boss or Katana as a beginner (too fast). Which disc goes longest for you? Sidewinder? Jade? Boss? Do you throw forehand or backhand?

Here are some things I like about your setup: 1) Star Teebird, period. It may be slightly too overstable for a new player backhand, but it's not too fast, and it makes for an EXCELLENT forehand disc. 2) Some stable/understable stuff, from Sidewinder and Jade down to Mako/Mako3, and the fact that you have them in premium plastic means you'll be able to keep improving your form and getting good flight out of them without them getting too flippy to soon. 3) Some good practice discs, e.g. DX Aviars (depending on how willing you are to beat them up by using them for form practice), DX Rocs, and XT Nova.

As far as the Firebird, Drone, and Zone, I wouldn't focus on learning with them, but they're probably great at times on the course. Start practicing some skip shots with the Firebird, or heavy fade shots with Drone/Zone.

There's no reason to get a certain disc type, mold, etc. unless you need it to do something on the course. What's missing from your game? For me, I'll get an idea of what I'm looking for, then check the forums on here or check with other disc golfers I know, and then try a new disc. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! As of right now the sidewinder goes the furthest for me. My DX Boss got beat in after about 2 rounds of play and now I can literally make it flip all the way over on a slight anhyzer.. Lol so I use that for hyzer flips and rollers. The Katana I can throw decently well on a hard anhyzer release where it will S back with a nice fade. Cant throw it how it is meant to be thrown yet tho... I rarely use it. The Jade I just got! And I got it pretty light, going to go out and play around with that here soon.

I throw all of my shots backhand, but have been slowly learning my forehand, it is just terrible right now tho lol. As for the Teebird being too overstable I could see this, but I have been having some great luck with it from 200-250 and can really rip on it occasionally!

Appreciate your reply! And I will look into getting different weights of some of the discs I like most. Which right now are my Sidewinder, Teebird, and makos/roc3

I'm new too my bag

Putter
Discraft Challenger x5 (because I have room for a stack) this is my general use putter
Prodigy Pa4 (I think that's the one I kept) only used occasionally because it fades a bit more than my Challenger

Mids

Prodigy M3 and M4 the M3 has more fade and is general use the M4 is for tunnel shots

Fairway
Prodigy F1 I am like to power this down and use it like an overstable mid (with a lower line)
Prodigy F2 Headwind driver

Prodigy F7 I think they are 158 and 168 I generally use the lighter one but the heavier one is for a slight breeze in my face

Innova Leopard much cheaper than a F7 used over water

The rest of my bag is filled with copies of my favorites because I play near alot of water and don't wanna have to play a round without them.

I have a lot of water at the course I play at as well! However most shots over it are pretty easy, with the longest one being about a 250 foot shot over. I do not know prodigy discs at all, started with Innova and just have always liked the feel of the star plastics so that's what I went with. I recently bought a lat 64 and those discraft discs but mainly Innova! I have been thinking about buying the Prodigy mystery box but they always seem to be out of stock :( and either way I think I need to stick with the models I have for now. How do you like the feel of those and have you ever thrown anything other than prodigy?

Star Katana
Champion Firebird
DX Boss
Star Sidewinder
Star Teebird
Opto Light Jade
Star Mako
Star Mako3
Star Roc3
DX Roc x2
Drone
Zone
DX Classic Aviar x2
XT Nova

You could have a look on overlap. You bag 6 midranges. Some of them probably overlap. You probably can cover the lines of some with adjusted release angles of another. Then, how much different (in length) do the Drone and the Zone fly? Is it always clear which of them you'll use on a given shot? Your mids look a bit crowded to me.

Are the Aviars your putting putters? Do you use the Zone and Nova for upshots and drives? Or do you putt with the Nova and throw the Aviars? Anyways, your putter lineup looks best, I'd say.

The drivers look not too bad. You could use the Sidewinder and Teebird as your workhorses. Can you line-shape with the Sidewinder? Or is the Jade intended for line-shaping? The Firebird for utility stuff ... maybe only on windy days or on certain courses. Your Teebird might be overstable enough in many cases. The Boss and Katana for max distance? ... but well, you wrote, the Sidewinder is your max D disc ... then, why do you bag those super fast discs at all? What do they provide to your game?

It's not clear to me if this is your tournament bag or your training/casual round bag? At least I differ these two. On tournaments I carry less discs -- only the ones I know best. You would only add backups if it is likely to lose discs. (Are the Aviars and DX Rocs identical backups or different wear?) Your bag looks much like a casual round bag, consisting on discs you really need and some you carry for additional shots. But that is only an impression ... and based on the assumption that a more compact/simple bag is better.

Hope these thoughts help you to find your own answers.

You could have a look on overlap. You bag 6 midranges. Some of them probably overlap. You probably can cover the lines of some with adjusted release angles of another. Then, how much different (in length) do the Drone and the Zone fly? Is it always clear which of them you'll use on a given shot? Your mids look a bit crowded to me.

Are the Aviars your putting putters? Do you use the Zone and Nova for upshots and drives? Or do you putt with the Nova and throw the Aviars? Anyways, your putter lineup looks best, I'd say.

The drivers look not too bad. You could use the Sidewinder and Teebird as your workhorses. Can you line-shape with the Sidewinder? Or is the Jade intended for line-shaping? The Firebird for utility stuff ... maybe only on windy days or on certain courses. Your Teebird might be overstable enough in many cases. The Boss and Katana for max distance? ... but well, you wrote, the Sidewinder is your max D disc ... then, why do you bag those super fast discs at all? What do they provide to your game?

It's not clear to me if this is your tournament bag or your training/casual round bag? At least I differ these two. On tournaments I carry less discs -- only the ones I know best. You would only add backups if it is likely to lose discs. (Are the Aviars and DX Rocs identical backups or different wear?) Your bag looks much like a casual round bag, consisting on discs you really need and some you carry for additional shots. But that is only an impression ... and based on the assumption that a more compact/simple bag is better.

Hope these thoughts help you to find your own answers.

Thanks for the reply! Yes this is just my casual bag and this consists of basically all of the discs I own, for now! That's why there is a bit of overlap in my midranges! The zone was my goto putter for my first year of play until I found the Aviars, now I use these for putting 2nd circle and closer never really used them for upshots or drives. The Drone I use when I need a hard hyzer approach and the Nova is for short hole drives and some straight upshots.

As for my driver selection this has been me just slowly adding on. I started with a star boss as my first disc (LOL I didnt know much about the game back then at all...) When I lost that first boss I went out and got the Katana and have had it ever since, thats really the only reason its in my bag. I can cheat it and throw anhyzer and get some nice looking shape on it, however it is much too fast for me still, rarely use it but some holes at my local course it works really well on! The sidewinder I can throw on a hyzer and have it flip up and sometimes get a really pretty flex shot, but if I release it flat it will flip and hold, I feel like I can almost handle a more stable driver with the same speed and the Teebird works well in that regard. As for the DX boss, this disc turned into an incredibly flippy disc pretty fast. I use that for hyzer flips and rollers now. As for the Jade, that just came in the mail yesterday so I have to go out and throw a few with that to see how she flys. A friend recommended it to me since I like the sidewinder!

As for the roc's and aviars. The aviars are slightly different wear but not much simply because I have never drove with them and only really use them around the green. The Roc's are different wear but still fly pretty similarly still. Thanks again for the reply and the advice!! I am working on cutting down my bag to the essentials and just getting some duplicates at different weights and plastic do a Philo approach and only carry 5 molds :p however this is a long process for me since there are so many discs in the world I wanna treat it like pokemon and catch em all!

Nothing wrong with Innova most of my discs are easy to find an Innova equalivent. I personally prefer the feel of the Prodigy plastic but I think I actually prefer the slightly shallower mako3 to my M3/4 (can't remember which is the equivalent right now) if you like what you throw then stick with it. I guess I could have shortened my post by saying that I fill my bag with extras of my favorites.