• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NOOB FLORIDA QUESTION

discanova

I have searched and reviewed different answers but I am still unclear. I play in humid south florida at sea level and below and I max out at around 400ft on a good rip for my drives. I have never played any where else and I was wonder how much difference there would be in drives playing in a state like kentucky? I am signed up for the BG ams and Im concerned that my disc selection will be completely different than what I am used to. Sorry for the noob question. Any help with this is much appriciated.
Thanks in advance...

If you're referring to altitude differences, I doubt you'll see a difference between playing at sea level or at 500-ish feet above sea level. Kentucky gets pretty humid in the summer, but April shouldn't be too bad.

I haven't played any of the BG courses, but the biggest difference you'll probably encounter is walking/throwing up and down hills. Not too much of that in flat land florida.

It's going to be a lot different. I came from the same circumstance (FL) and have recently been playing in TN and KY. The biggest thing is going to be learning to throw uphill and downhill shots. And as bad as FL wind is, its no where near as bad as the wind up here.

I would go try and practice on some very downhill and very uphill holes before your tournament.

TLDR, your disc will "fly the same" because the altitude but you have to consider uphill,downhill,tailwind,headwind.

Expect changes.

Thanks guys... The uphill and downhill shot are not things I can practice down here. I am going to search some vids to try to prep accordingly...

Throwing uphill you need to go more understable. You are, naturally, throwing "nose up".

Throwing dowhill makes disc more understable---assuming you're actually throwing downhill. If you throw off a hill and throw fairly level, you can count on a fairly huge fade at the end because the disc has so far to fall.

Throwing uphill you need to go more understable. You are, naturally, throwing "nose up".

Throwing dowhill makes disc more understable---assuming you're actually throwing downhill. If you throw off a hill and throw fairly level, you can count on a fairly huge fade at the end because the disc has so far to fall.

^^all of this.

thanks.... It is safe to assume the stabilities wont be affected?

you won't notice your discs behaving any differently with that minor a change.

Are they similar to bg?
^(meaning Okeeheelee)...

I doubt it. I've played Okeeheelee, but not BG. But the terrain is probably different, and likely to be more wooded, too.

Last edited:

I'm just starting to think hard about nose angle. But, is this right?

Nose angle is relative to the direction of motion of the disc, right?

So, on level ground, the disc is headed to the right.

- --->

Like this:

- - - - - - - - - - -

That's level.

/ / / / / / / / / / /

That's nose up.

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

That's nose down.

But, if you're throwing uphill, the nose angle can still be level to the motion of the disc.

/
/
/
/

That's a disc flying parallel to the ground headed up a (steep) hill.

You might see the stamp - it might _look_ nose up to you. But, relative to the direction of motion, it's level.

Am I missing something here?

Hmm... my ASCII art failed for that uphill shot.

Let met try the last graphic again.

_____/_____
____/______
___/_______
__/________
_/_________
/__________

A disc angled up and to the right, but also _headed_ up and to the right.

Throwing uphill is nose up. "Level" to the disc isn't determined in any way by the grade of the ground. Parallel to the ground, yes, but still nose up because you have to throw it up into the air to clear the hill.

Throwing uphill is nose up. "Level" to the disc isn't determined in any way by the grade of the ground. Parallel to the ground, yes, but still nose up because you have to throw it up into the air to clear the hill.

I'm not suggesting that "level" is determined by the grade of the ground. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's determined by the direction of motion of the disc.

It seems to me that if the disc is proceeding "edge first" instead of "belly first" it's flying level as far as nose angle (and aerodynamics) is concerned. Whether the flight happens to be level with flat ground, level with rising ground, or, I suppose, at a 45 degree angle up into the air over level ground (but still not, necessarily nose up).

Now, it may be that when people throw uphill they tend to change the nose angle and not just their release angle. Of course you _can_ throw nose up uphill. But, it doesn't seem like you'd have to.

But, maybe I'm missing something. Care to explain it again?

I'm not suggesting that "level" is determined by the grade of the ground. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's determined by the direction of motion of the disc.

It seems to me that if the disc is proceeding "edge first" instead of "belly first" it's flying level as far as nose angle (and aerodynamics) is concerned. Whether the flight happens to be level with flat ground, level with rising ground, or, I suppose, at a 45 degree angle up into the air over level ground (but still not, necessarily nose up).

Now, it may be that when people throw uphill they tend to change the nose angle and not just their release angle. Of course you _can_ throw nose up uphill. But, it doesn't seem like you'd have to.

But, maybe I'm missing something. Care to explain it again?

I agree with Gibson. Most of the flight characteristics are determined by the disc displacing static air.

Throwing uphill is working against gravity. It's harder to keep the disc up to/above cruising speed.

Throwing on angles also makes balance trickier. Throwing from flat ground to a hill a ways in front is different, but not less challenging.