• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob intro/disc suggestions/tips

WCdiscgolfer

Hey guys Matt here! Started playing a few months ago and really love the sport. I played ultimate for many years before that. I got a little excited buying discs online and from friends and probabaly have too many discs for a beginner but anyways... I'm sure it's been asked a million times but what are some tips that have maybe helped you guys out in your disc golf experience? Also here are my current discs:

Discraft Flick z
Innova Valkyrie champ
Innova Beast champ
Innova Orc dx
Innova Teebird dx
Lat 64 River opto
Innova Leopard star
Innova Eagle star

Discraft Buzz z
Innova Shark dx

Innova Aviar r-pro

Most likely won't be getting any discs for a good while but when the time comes what are your disc suggestions?

Thanks in advance for suggestions/tips!

Welcome! If you listed your throwing style it would be easier to recommend discs. My tip: WORK ON YOUR PUTTING!! It's the easiest way to lower strokes.

I throw RHFH if thats what you mean. Yea I'm not great at putting so I've been trying to work on that. Thanks Innova Fan!

Welcome from Upper Michigan!

FYI, I started out throwing forehand, thinking I would throw farther, but I switched to backhand and throw a lot farther than I can forehand. Whatever you go with, I strongly suggest that you learn and practice both styles.

Welcome! Put all your discs above the Teebird in your list in a closet for a while. Don't bother throwing anything over 7 speed until you start getting some distance down the fairway. Practice driving with your putters and mid rages most of the time. They help a lot with learning proper form. Learn backhand, it changed my game significantly.

Definitely learn backhand and forehand. Having the option to go either way will open up a ton of alternative lines to the basket.

Whatever you do don't switch putters all the time. It's realllly hard to do but when you find one that you like stick with it.

Welcome! Put all your discs above the Teebird in your list in a closet for a while. Don't bother throwing anything over 7 speed until you start getting some distance down the fairway. Practice driving with your putters and mid rages most of the time. They help a lot with learning proper form. Learn backhand, it changed my game significantly.

Thanks for the advice! Just wondering... When you say "distance down the fairway", about how far do you mean. Basically I'm wondering how far you think I should be able to drive before I should start using the faster discs.

With good technique its possible for anyone to throw a disc 275-300' before even touching a disc which is in the "distance driver" class. One thing to consider though is the amount of very beginner friendly understable distance drivers which will help get some distance but generally do very little to help improve technique.

Innova Teebird dx
Innova Leopard star

Discraft Buzz z

Innova Aviar r-pro (get another one for using as a mid/driver.)

With these discs it would be possible to play pretty much any course and cover any shots. Learning how to use one disc and make it fly many different ways is better to learn than carrying X disc for Y shot or trying to "fill" a slot which you don't really need at your level/style of play.

There is nothing WRONG with throwing faster discs its just basically not a useful way to start playing if your focus is on clean/pure technique and improvement of mechanics etc. If it works to throw a flick and you can park holes for a easy birdie then can't really hate on how you do it.

Latest posts