• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

I have a pink MVP Volt in Neutron plastic and was wondering if anyone has any experience dyeing this type of plastic. I have a simple stencil cut already and want to know what colors would work best on my disc. I attached a picture of the disc I want to use (Not my exact disc but same model and color)

Attachments

• Volt_N_Hot_Pink__45412.1415686058.1280.1280.jpg
    Volt_N_Hot_Pink__45412.1415686058.1280.1280.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 8
Nuetron plastic works great, one of the best out there.

As for colors, you can use anything that is darker than pink. Reds and purples are probably your best option as they will be the truest (adding pink won't change them much).

painting questions

I read through the old RIT painting technique thread, and I'm wondering if that ratios are still correct.

It sounds like I should be using 1 tbsp dye powder mixed with just enough laundry detergent to make it a paintable thickness.
Then we just let it sit until the color looks good?
Can that paint mixture stand for any length of time, or is it one project and done?

I read through the old RIT painting technique thread, and I'm wondering if that ratios are still correct.

It sounds like I should be using 1 tbsp dye powder mixed with just enough laundry detergent to make it a paintable thickness.
Then we just let it sit until the color looks good?
Can that paint mixture stand for any length of time, or is it one project and done?

Sounds about right, but mix it up and see what works best for you.

You should be able to keep dye mix for a while, but if you're painting, you're probably not going to be using enough at one time to make enough to keep. Just mix a little dye with a little detergent, just enough for your project. No need to make a giant batch of mix & detergent.

roggen is correct, he's just mixing the dye with water, just like the instructions. You can use up to 32 ounces, any bigger than that is probably a very large storage option, and likely too much water for one package of dye. 32oz works great.

I've kept dye-water mixes for YEARS, without loss. There's salt in the dye concentrates, which helps "preserve" the mix, or at least helps keep the water from souring.

Thanks. I don't have big enough jars (or at least enough of them). Looks like I need to get some large ones from Wal-Mart!

Thanks. I don't have big enough jars (or at least enough of them). Looks like I need to get some large ones from Wal-Mart!

I looked into buying them, they got spendy. it was actually cheaper for me to buy a bunch of large pickle jars and use those. Plus you get pickles.

I looked into buying them, they got spendy. it was actually cheaper for me to buy a bunch of large pickle jars and use those. Plus you get pickles.

Good thought on the pickle jars. Last time I got some mason jars at Wal-Mart I didn't think they were that expensive. But that was before I had a kid.

FWIW, I drink a lot of Odwalla protein and smoothie drinks, and their 32oz. bottles work perfectly for storing my dyes. The "square" shape of the bottle stores nicely, and the opening is large enough to pour back from the pan without a funnel.;) Just have to let the dye cool off before pouring back.

Peace,
-Jeff

FWIW, I drink a lot of Odwalla protein and smoothie drinks, and their 32oz. bottles work perfectly for storing my dyes. The "square" shape of the bottle stores nicely, and the opening is large enough to pour back from the pan without a funnel.;) Just have to let the dye cool off before pouring back.

Peace,
-Jeff

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! Right now I have 2 large spaghetti sauce jars and 1 smaller one holding my green, blue, and purple dyes.

On another note, any recommendations for color combos on a light pink driver? I have red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and black. I'm going to do the shaving cream method, don't know what design I'm going to put so I'm open to suggestions.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! Right now I have 2 large spaghetti sauce jars and 1 smaller one holding my green, blue, and purple dyes.

On another note, any recommendations for color combos on a light pink driver? I have red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and black. I'm going to do the shaving cream method, don't know what design I'm going to put so I'm open to suggestions.

Yellow is likely going to be too light, and will probably look more orange in the end, and green may end up being a brownish color. But all the rest should be fine.

As for the design, just go nuts. My first few tye dyes I always ended up wishing I had used more dye.

Yellow is likely going to be too light, and will probably look more orange in the end, and green may end up being a brownish color. But all the rest should be fine.

As for the design, just go nuts. My first few tye dyes I always ended up wishing I had used more dye.

Thanks for the heads up about yellow and green. Maybe I'll do a peace sign like the DyeMax that DD sells... I probably won't fill the colors of the inside of the peace sign though, and just let pink be the background.

http://www.dynamicdiscs.net/Dynamic-Discs-DyeMax-Tie-Dye-Peace-Custom-Dye-p/3091.htm

What happens the longer you leave a disc in shaving cream? It just gets colored better? Sinks in more so everything gets closer to the edges of the disc?

Anyone know if the DD Judge minis can be dyed?

What happens the longer you leave a disc in shaving cream? It just gets colored better? Sinks in more so everything gets closer to the edges of the disc?

Anyone know if the DD Judge minis can be dyed?

The longer you leave it in, the the darker the dye. It does sink, so sometimes it gets closer to the edge, just depends on the design

The longer you leave it in, the the darker the dye. It does sink, so sometimes it gets closer to the edge, just depends on the design

Thanks, I figured that would be the case. Trying to decide if 8 hours should be enough for this pink PD Freak I recently got. S-line plastic. My friend did a yellow GStar Boss after me. Put it in around 4pm (mine) and 5:30 (his). Thinking about pulling mine out at midnight and his in the morning.

Attached is the one I just put the PD Freak in.

Edit: also, can you dye on black discs at all? Or use paint and stencils?

Attachments

• peace resized shaving cream.jpg
    peace resized shaving cream.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Well, here she is. Not as streaky as I wanted but I'm happy. Posting this here instead of the dye a day thread because I'm a noob and those are pieces of art.

I think it sat in too long and that's why the bottom part of the peace sign doesn't have a lot of streaks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420206796436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420206796436.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 31
Attached is the one I just put the PD Freak in.

Edit: also, can you dye on black discs at all? Or use paint and stencils?
Nope, can't dye black discs. Dye only can darken a disc, not lighten it.
Well, here she is. Not as streaky as I wanted but I'm happy. Posting this here instead of the dye a day thread because I'm a noob and those are pieces of art.

I think it sat in too long and that's why the bottom part of the peace sign doesn't have a lot of streaks.
Post it in the thread! It's solid!

Since I just did this (pink starlite sidwinder) - here is a reference. The lighter purple was idye purple. The darker purple was actually idye blue. I was kind of surprised at how purple it came out - but it was a sweet color so i'm happy.

The second is a pink blizz champion pig. This is idye crimson and i LOVE the color.

Attachments

• SW Dye Mutli.jpg
    SW Dye Mutli.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 20
  • Pig.jpg
    Pig.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 16
That's what I thought, what kind of paint can I use?

I think you're best bet would be metallic sharpie. You could use paint pens (or other paints), but I'm pretty sure they technically make the disc illegal, and am unsure how they would hold up over time.