• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Hey guys, really dumb question and I dont have the time to read through all the pages,

Will Gold Line/Star/Tournament plastic take RIT Dye? Buddy of mine says it won't, but I used to dye lacrosse heads and RIT worked like a charm.

Thanks!
Tv.

Hey guys, really dumb question and I dont have the time to read through all the pages,

Will Gold Line/Star/Tournament plastic take RIT Dye? Buddy of mine says it won't, but I used to dye lacrosse heads and RIT worked like a charm.

Thanks!
Tv.

The plastic is good, no issues there.

RIT, it depends. Old rit worked great, then they changed the formula and it didn't, then it did but only certain types and lot numbers. Idk anymore. I think their one that works well now is called like "dyemore" or something.

Just use idye poly.

Hey. Never dyed a disc before so bear with me. I want to turn a disc into pure blue (no tie dye). I can only get the disc I want in either yellow or orange (soft floppy plastic). Is it possible to turn those colors into blue? If so what dye do I use? All my other discs are plain blue so I'd like to keep the same trend for this one if possible.

Hey. Never dyed a disc before so bear with me. I want to turn a disc into pure blue (no tie dye). I can only get the disc I want in either yellow or orange (soft floppy plastic). Is it possible to turn those colors into blue? If so what dye do I use? All my other discs are plain blue so I'd like to keep the same trend for this one if possible.

When you say soft floppy plastic, what do you mean?

Alot of plastic like that doesnt dye well (Gateway SSS for example)

But get some idye blue, mix a whole pack with like 1 mason jar of water, heat it up till its steaming, and then dunk the disc in. Then just keep checking till its as dark as you want.

The yellow disc will probably end up greenish tho. And orange may be brownish. But typically the dye mostly overpowers the plastic color, so you should be able to get a mostly blue color.

When you say soft floppy plastic, what do you mean?

Alot of plastic like that doesnt dye well (Gateway SSS for example)

But get some idye blue, mix a whole pack with like 1 mason jar of water, heat it up till its steaming, and then dunk the disc in. Then just keep checking till its as dark as you want.

The yellow disc will probably end up greenish tho. And orange may be brownish. But typically the dye mostly overpowers the plastic color, so you should be able to get a mostly blue color.

I mean Daredevil's plastic called elastic performance...https://infinitediscs.com/Daredevil-Walrus

If that plastic won't hold the dye I may not even bother. I guess the yellow is more likely to turn positive results if it does work tho cause it is lighter.

I want to keep the temp below boiling but enough to steam? Will the dye change the color of the pot? Can I use one that I normally eat out of?

I mean Daredevil's plastic called elastic performance...https://infinitediscs.com/Daredevil-Walrus

If that plastic won't hold the dye I may not even bother. I guess the yellow is more likely to turn positive results if it does work tho cause it is lighter.

I want to keep the temp below boiling but enough to steam? Will the dye change the color of the pot? Can I use one that I normally eat out of?

Yeah, nowhere near boiling is needed, just hot enough to start steaming. I only use the same pan for dye, i dont use one i use for cooking. But stainless steel should be ok id think(?).

I have no clue what that plastic is like, so can't help ya there. It looks like Gstar from the pic but hard to tell. I would guess it works ok.

Ive been trying out dying lately with the contact paper stencil method and always find that the adhesive is left on the disc after pealing off the stencil- how do you remove the adhesive without damaging the stencil?

When using shaving cream to get dye across the entire disc surface the discs end up smelling strongly like shaving cream. Are there any ways to get rid of the smell quickly?

It seems prodigy (and maybe others) stamps are slightly cut into the top of the discs and the dye ends up bleeding out of the stencil and running into the indentions and messing up my clean lines. This is after wiping the stamps. How do you avoid dye running outside the stencil?

(all questions based on contact paper stencils with I-dye poly // shaving cream)

Last edited:
Ive been trying out dying lately with the contact paper stencil method and always find that the adhesive is left on the disc after pealing off the stencil- how do you remove the adhesive without damaging the stencil?

When using shaving cream to get dye across the entire disc surface the discs end up smelling strongly like shaving cream. Are there any ways to get rid of the smell quickly?

It seems prodigy (and maybe others) stamps are slightly cut into the top of the discs and the dye ends up bleeding out of the stencil and running into the indentions and messing up my clean lines. This is after wiping the stamps. How do you avoid dye running outside the stencil?

(all questions based on contact paper stencils with I-dye poly // shaving cream)

Contact paper does not seal as well as vinyl does. I would use oracle 651 vinyl instead of contact paper .The oracle 651 does not leave as much adhesive residue and if it does I use citrus goo gone
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goo-Gone-24-oz-Pro-Power-Spray-Gel-2080/205188196
Lots of hot stamps leave groves in the flight plate and you sometimes cant avoid a run because of them. If you want to ensure a good seal get a blank or a bottom stamped disc.

Best dye colors for different colored discs

Is there a color wheel or template that will show what colors work best with different colored discs? I just started this and it would be super helpful!!

Is there a color wheel or template that will show what colors work best with different colored discs? I just started this and it would be super helpful!!

Yeah it's called a color wheel.

No need for any disc golf specific one. End color is the plastic color mixed with the dye color.

Very curious if anyone has any additives they like to add to the lotion bed to make it more spacey / trippy?
I've noticed everyone uses cocoa butter? is there a better brand to use that you've seen better results with, Ive noticed some people blend in like conditioner. The science is a little out of my wheel house, maybe someone's got a trick?
I'm using worm dip dyes

Last edited:
Anyone notice advantages with higher or lower temperatures?

First time posting anything.....

I am curious if leaving my setup out in the garage (it's been below 40°)

is actually fighting the dye from permeating the plastic?

Where as if I had it stashed somewhere safe in a higher temp it would help the dye and not congeal the medium I'm using to dye with.

I forgot to mention I am using a glue bed on an old Bandit from Legacy.

First time posting anything.....

I am curious if leaving my setup out in the garage (it's been below 40°)

is actually fighting the dye from permeating the plastic?

Where as if I had it stashed somewhere safe in a higher temp it would help the dye and not congeal the medium I'm using to dye with.

I forgot to mention I am using a glue bed on an old Bandit from Legacy.

Yes, cold fights against you.

Dye gets into the plastic via pores in the material, which expand with heat and contract with cold.

Same dyes, same plastics, same everything, the one in the higher temp will dye more quickly.

Timing so, I am able to dye perfectly when I leave the disc for 12-18 hours with a glue bed. (@60 degrees)

Star & Gstar plastic.

My question is if I want to speed that up by adding a heat lamp, when should I take the same thing out?

Ok so I'm brand new to disc dyeing, I tried the lotion method. I put lotion down and then dye more rit dye and let it sit over night, it didnt set up? It was in there about 14-16 hours? What did I do wrong? Not use acetone or what?

79440b67f0d706b00d5d7c91eb6879db.jpg

dca606b739a66a007d2a9bb2031f1b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your first mistake was choosing an orange disc.

Not that I'm any sort of dye expert but I always prefer to use white discs if given a choice.

I've tried to dye yellow and pink discs and even if they take the dye well the colors just aren't what I was expecting.

Also, you don't mention what type of dye you were using.

Latest posts