• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Here Requesting Bag Critique

In the meantime, is there anything I am missing in the bag for when the technique does develop more?

Great question. I think it depends a lot on personal preference. Some people like the feel or look of a particular plastic from a specific manufacturer. For others, it's a question of weight. Some pros throw very few molds but have many discs of each in their bag, whereas I have many different molds with just one disc of each. I think you have to try to touch and throw a lot of different plastic before you can get yourself settled in on a full bag. That being said, work on your form with a smaller set of discs; then you will know HOW to PROPERLY throw the new ones you pick up, and thus get a better idea of their characteristics from the first few throws.

I started with a DX Shark, DX Wolf (rarely threw that after the first month or so), Champ Valkyrie, and God knows what as my putter - maybe it was the really soft Omega my brother now has? Regardless, I kept buying discs and trying them out. After throwing mostly Innova early on, I started throwing some Discraft stuff, and then I tried out Gateway putters and Latitude stuff. When I would earn a little loot at a tourney, I would pick up something new. Now I have a mixed bag of tricks, especially for tourneys. But this past weekend, I threw two casual rounds with completely different bags - one all Discraft and the other all Latitude. It's all for practice, really.

Depending on the player, you're looking at 4 general kinds of discs: putters (obviously), mids, fairways (speeds 7-9 or so), and drivers (speed 10 and up). I currently carry 2-3 putters (primary putting putter and two putters as approach discs), 5-7 mids (from the understable to the meathook), 3-4 fairways (again, covering the under to overstable spectrum), and only 2-3 drivers. My bag is set up to have plenty of flexibility, but it also guarantees (me, in my mind) that I have a disc with a stability and distance for almost any shot I need.

So as far as what you are missing in the bag, I would say that you are only missing what you need to fill any execution gaps. If I carried Saint, Teebird, Leopard in the fairway slots, but left out my Firebird, that's a huge gap because none of the first three really play overstable over distance. Once you learn what your body should be doing, making discs do a variety of things isn't difficult.

Putter is a label, its still a disc. It is great for driving too.

Exactly. Above, when I said...

I currently carry 2-3 putters (primary putting putter and two putters as approach discs)...

"Approach" is a loose term. Anything out to 200 or even 250' can be considered an "approach" if you are a seasoned player. On a course where most holes are under 300', I could throw my flippy Rhyno or a Zone for almost every hole. Putters can be great multipurpose discs.

Last edited: