• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobs Go Here First ;)

Someone ought to cage the "Village Expert."

You forgot step 11, which is a natural progression of your last 10 steps:

- Get bored and frustrated trying to follow a regimen for what you thought was going to be a fun, carefree sport where no one tells you what to do or how to do it. Having the life sucked out of you by well-meaning do gooders, you take up crochet instead.

The secret is throwing high to low, that's the main thing. High to low is SOO CRUCIAL!Just never forget start way up here above your shoulder, then finish down here and to the right!

.. with all due respect, I am 60 years old ...

"The main idea is learning the concept of throwing straight and level before actually playing any rounds."

.. which would involve mastering steps 1 through 6 ..

7) Now it's time to get on the course and throw!

I would never get 'on the course' unless they spread my ashes out there if I followed this ... ;)

.. of course I am being somewhat facetious, and I definitely recognize the intent of the OP, and the importance of homework/practice leading to improvement and a more overall enjoyable time on the course ... but again, I am as competitive as anyone I have ever met, but somewhere in there the fun has got to take precedent over distance mandates and making sure that you 'do it right' ... I enjoy field work, but if I dont get out to put it into practical use on a course with regularity, I would see no point to continuing ...

I do thank the OP for taking the time to post though, it is all informative ...

JMHO .. as always ...

You forgot step 11, which is a natural progression of your last 10 steps:

- Get bored and frustrated trying to follow a regimen for what you thought was going to be a fun, carefree sport where no one tells you what to do or how to do it. Having the life sucked out of you by well-meaning do gooders, you take up crochet instead.

lol.. obviously if we change the name of the thread from "Noobs Go Here First" to "Field Work: Learning To Throw Straight" perhaps that makes more sense. :\

The cool thing about just sticking with a putter and throwing it at targets (progressively from 50 - 200ft away) is regardless where your form was when you started, it will kind of auto-correct as you progress and by the time you're at 200ft you should at the least...be coming through with a clean, level release, which will give you a huge advantage long term. Depending on the person's motivation, this could take hours, days, or weeks.

The next time you're on the course and you see a young kid torquing the hell out of an overstable driver, do him or her a favor and let them throw your understable putter or mid range a few times. Watch their face do a "wtf just happened?" as they throw probably the farthest, straightest shot they ever have. ;)

lol.. obviously if we change the name of the thread from "Noobs Go Here First" to "Field Work: Learning To Throw Straight" perhaps that makes more sense. :\

The cool thing about just sticking with a putter and throwing it at targets (progressively from 50 - 200ft away) is regardless where your form was when you started, it will kind of auto-correct as you progress and by the time you're at 200ft you should at the least...be coming through with a clean, level release, which will give you a huge advantage long term. Depending on the person's motivation, this could take hours, days, or weeks.

The next time you're on the course and you see a young kid torquing the hell out of an overstable driver, do him or her a favor and let them throw your understable putter or mid range a few times. Watch their face do a "wtf just happened?" as they throw probably the farthest, straightest shot they ever have. ;)

Yes, the second title makes much more sense. More than likely when they throw the putter the first time, they will also torque the pizz out of that and it will turn and burn.

I make it a rule to never give anyone advice unless they clearly and specifically ask for it. I'm on the course for my own reasons, not to save the world from bad form. I will always give encouragement to new players, and if someone does ask for advice or even want to know what I just threw, I will tell them. But I personally think you run the risk of annoying people if you give unsolicited advice and assume that you know why they are on the disc golf course in the first place.

Not everyone wants to be the next Paul McBeth, or even cares who he is. I am competitive and like to do well, but I have seen a lot of people having a blast just being out on the course with their friends. Just sayin......

Once someone gets hooked on the game and decides they really really want to improve, then I agree your steps are a good place to start.

Last edited:
"But I personally think you run the risk of annoying people if you give unsolicited advice and assume that you know why they are on the disc golf course in the first place."

oh man, I can't tell you the number of times I've had people come up and ask to play with me and then give me tips over the past 2 years. I admit, it can be annoying, but occasionally I would get some valuable tips. Nowadays if someone is playing by themselves and obviously trying to learn the game, I have no problem offering a few tips. Especially the young kids, it's rewarding to tell them some basic tips and see an instant improvement.

"But I personally think you run the risk of annoying people if you give unsolicited advice and assume that you know why they are on the disc golf course in the first place."

oh man, I can't tell you the number of times I've had people come up and ask to play with me and then give me tips over the past 2 years. I admit, it can be annoying, but occasionally I would get some valuable tips. Nowadays if someone is playing by themselves and obviously trying to learn the game, I have no problem offering a few tips. Especially the young kids, it's rewarding to tell them some basic tips and see an instant improvement.

More power to ya if that's what you like and you can somehow make it work.

1. Buy Wizards. Stick Putts. Bräu.
2. Buy a Comet. Throw it, learn it, love it, hate it, then love it again you torque monkey.
3. Buy a Leopard and a Teebird, there really are no other fairway drivers.
4. Buy a Firebird, because Firebird.
5. Play disc golf until you stop sucking.
6. Win Worlds.
7. Repeat.

Gnomes_plan.png