• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North American Places With The Least Disc Golf

It's so cute that you think you have high trails in Washington. .

It's so cute that you think you have 'mountains' in Kentucky. The highest peaks in Kentucky are about the elevation where our hiking trails start. :)

My house in Colorado is probably where most of your trails terminate in Washington. Just kidding, i know you have kick @ss trails there, but i think our sweet state has the best.

Using the 'Click all over the DGCR map search with a 125 mile radius' method, I found northern Nevada and north eastern Montana to be pretty disc golf poor. Everywhere else in the continental 48 states pulled up at least 2 courses.

The advantage the really remote places have, though, is that it would be really easy to set up a course wherever you like. All you need is 18 targets and imagination. There aren't many places in the Eastern seaboard metroplex where you can do that.

My house in Colorado is probably where most of your trails terminate in Washington. Just kidding, i know you have kick @ss trails there, but i think our sweet state has the best.

I knew that once I said that someone from Colorado would chime in. :)

If you live in Marfa or Presidio, DG is one of the last things you are concerned with. Probably only suitable for play about 3-4 months out of the year if that.....esp since discs will melt mid flight during 6 months of the year!:eek::eek: Besides, that 122/191 mile distance is probably about the same as the closest Walmart.;)

I drove through both on a wandering-the-country's-backroads vacation one summer, many years ago. Presidio IS one of the hottest places in the country. But I found Marfa and the general area charming, the heat tolerable (perhaps because I'm from South Carolina) and the landscape desolately beautiful. If anyone ever decides to put a disc golf course down there, I'll bet acreage is very very cheap.

Cedarville CA is over 2 hours from any towns of note never mind any disc golf. My guess for closest courses would be near Reno or along I5 near Shasta or Weed, CA.

Now that I'm getting my new website under control, you can go here and click on Geography of Disc Golf to see a map of Service Levels.

It's so cute that you think you have 'mountains' in Kentucky. The highest peaks in Kentucky are about the elevation where our hiking trails start. :)

Reminds me of this:
Isn't%20Texas%20Cute.jpg

I drove through both on a wandering-the-country's-backroads vacation one summer, many years ago. Presidio IS one of the hottest places in the country. But I found Marfa and the general area charming, the heat tolerable (perhaps because I'm from South Carolina) and the landscape desolately beautiful. If anyone ever decides to put a disc golf course down there, I'll bet acreage is very very cheap.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the area over the last 5 years. Lots of land for sale, few takers. Sonoran desert floor temps can top 165° in August making it a nice place to visit....briefly. :sick: Add the buzzworms, scorpions, tarantulas and Javelinas and you have a fairly interesting area to play in. If someone were to do it, more towards Alpine or even Terlingua would be better. Alpine has the college and Terlingua has the tourism.

In a few years, I'll be retiring to Bishop, CA. Talk about a black hole. I played Zephyr Cove last summer and it took just under 4 hours to get there( 'course that included roadwork at the top of Kingsbury Grade). Turtle Rock is a little closer, but we got rained out on our way home, so I haven't played it yet. Gotta hit that one this year. I see the "course" at Mammoth is extinct. Going south to Wrightwood is almost the same driving time. Quite a change from where I live now.:(

From Bishop, Turtle Rock should be about 2 hours 40 minutes. If you go South, Hart Park in Bakersfield would be about 3 hours. Wrightwood is 3.5 hours plus. If you're really jonesing, Tonopah is about 1.5 hours away. It's just a little 9 hole pitch and putt though. Mill Pond in Bishop is my go to winter practice spot.

From Bishop, Turtle Rock should be about 2 hours 40 minutes. If you go South, Hart Park in Bakersfield would be about 3 hours. Wrightwood is 3.5 hours plus. If you're really jonesing, Tonopah is about 1.5 hours away. It's just a little 9 hole pitch and putt though. Mill Pond in Bishop is my go to winter practice spot.

Yeah, I've thrown plastic there a few times, and when I was younger, a buddy and I did a lot of freestyle frisbee (and beer drinking and swimming) there. Once I move to Bishop, I'll start working on getting a course put in there, haha.

There is no DG in either NWT or Nunavut territories of Canada's north. Yukon has a sweet course though and lots of access to Alaskan courses.

Nothing I know of in the East Coast besides the new course on PEI

Timmianut Pikiuqarvik

Apparentely the course is located behind the airstrip. Techincally it's on the island, not the mainland, but I think that would make NWT the most desolate. My brother has a friend who currentely lives here. Ironcially - he plays DG, so we told him about the course and the site when they flew down last month - so he's going to play it and hopefully review it.

It's also weird that he used to fly (airline mechanic) down to Antartica as well. I was trying to convince him to take another trip so he could have Timmianut Pikiuqarvik and Ross Island DGC on his list. Wouldn't that be awesome.

Wish I could get in a pissing contest over mountains. I got that flatland on lock down though.

Now that I'm getting my new website under control, you can go here and click on Geography of Disc Golf to see a map of Service Levels.

What's the difference between the two figures, aside from palette?

NYC (I was going to nominate Long Island for an award, at least if we weight with population) is off the charts in the bottom figure, but fairly quiet in the top one.

What's the difference between the two figures, aside from palette?

NYC (I was going to nominate Long Island for an award, at least if we weight with population) is off the charts in the bottom figure, but fairly quiet in the top one.

Service Levels (rainbow colors) is how frequently someone would play if they lived there. This depends on the number and size of courses that are nearby. You'd want to move to the red, pink, and white areas to be able to play a lot of courses without driving much.

The other (fire colors) is number of players - this multiplies the frequency of play by the number of people that live there. You'd want to set up a disc golf store in the yellow to white areas.

Yet to come is the map showing where a new disc golf course would get the most players. That takes almost forever to calculate. Long Island would be near the top.

lol DG in Texas prety much = DFW, Austin & Houston

for where disc golfers live anyways

I doubt it's a coincidence that the majority of the Texas population is in those areas as well