• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose Down - How do you know?

Still having potential issues with nose down. The past few months I've been content with throwing 320-350 drives with a little s-curve. They're straight, reliable and that distance at least keeps me in the game. However...while exploring max d lines today I decided to re-visit the bonopane grip and sure enough they went 30-50ft further, pretty consistently. The problem is I don't know if it's nose down or I'm getting more spin when using the bonopane grip. For now I'm guessing it's nose issues because my normal drives were obviously higher than my bonopane drives.

Looking at Val's drive, it has always looked suspicious because she appears to have severe nose up issues, but it looks like she compensates at the last second and just throws the disc at a lower angle at release.

Would that work? If you have wrist/grip issues resulting in nose up issues, can you just aim a little lower to compensate? I think I might already be doing this once in a while when I get those low drives that seem to glide forever. Thx for any comments.

My first comment is I would never model any form after what Val does...she could beat me on any course I bet, but there's got to be tons of issues in there.

As for the grip, go into the Bonopane grip, then just slide your index finger under the rim without changing where the disc is in your hand. Should give you the same nose angle but with a normal grip.

My first comment is I would never model any form after what Val does...she could beat me on any course I bet, but there's got to be tons of issues in there.

Yup. She's not a good model for form, but she's effective as a player. Look to paige peirce for form to model an effective power transmission from.

I'm not trying to emulate Val...lol.. my question is if you have nose up issues, can you just aim your shot at a lower trajectory to compensate? (Looks like she does this.) Thx.

I'm not trying to emulate Val...lol.. my question is if you have nose up issues, can you just aim your shot at a lower trajectory to compensate? (Looks like she does this.) Thx.

I don't really think so...maybe some people seem to do that to sort of "fix" something mid-throw...but the way I think about it is that the angle you swing your forearm at dictates the trajectory of the shot. If your grip is aligned properly (nose down relative to forearm) you will have a nose down throw. If your grip is poor then you will have a nose-up throw relative to your arm swing plane. Remember that nose angle is relative to flight path, not the horizon.

My guess is her angles kind of fix themselves at the last instant of the throw because her discs carry straight on a line.

Still having potential issues with nose down. The past few months I've been content with throwing 320-350 drives with a little s-curve. They're straight, reliable and that distance at least keeps me in the game. However...while exploring max d lines today I decided to re-visit the bonopane grip and sure enough they went 30-50ft further, pretty consistently. The problem is I don't know if it's nose down or I'm getting more spin when using the bonopane grip. For now I'm guessing it's nose issues because my normal drives were obviously higher than my bonopane drives.

Looking at Val's drive, it has always looked suspicious because she appears to have severe nose up issues, but it looks like she compensates at the last second and just throws the disc at a lower angle at release.

Would that work? If you have wrist/grip issues resulting in nose up issues, can you just aim a little lower to compensate? I think I might already be doing this once in a while when I get those low drives that seem to glide forever. Thx for any comments.

Ms. Jenkins is most definitely throwing nose up in this video.

valjenkins-noseup.jpg

One thing I think people somehow mix up is throwing nose up and throwing high. It is very common to see people (sometimes myself included) who throw a nice low line drive but with nose up. You can see the stamp and you can see how the disc stables up earlier than you would expect. This is of course caused by the disc slowing down due to increased drag.

This is also what would be the result if you try to compensate the nose up by aiming lower.