• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not new to DG, but new to the site.

Hi.

I've been playing disc golf for a few years now, and have really taken it seriously for the last year. I have really grown to love and enjoy the sport. I decided to make a profile on here and see what tips and tricks I could pick up.

Here are my biggest questions: Is it worth joining the PDGA? I play a few times a week. I've grown my bag to a comfortable set of discs that seem to work for me. I wouldn't say I am a pro, not by any means. So, is it worth it, to step up and join the PDGA? I've played a few tournaments here and there, and have just paid the extra fee. Is it really only good if you're a tournament player or are the other benefits?

Thank you for your help and advice. I look forward to reading through the forums, and learning more about Disc Golf.

~Ryan~

The benefits to joining the PDGA are pretty minimal. It really only makes sense if you're planning to play a fair number of tournaments. One nice thing that you get with the membership is an official rating though. It's just a number, but can be a nice way to see how you stand relative to the disc golf world.

Being a PDGA member is also required for some of the larger tournaments as well, such as The Amateur Championships at Bowling Green, but if you don't play many tournaments, I wouldn't see the benefit.

I joined this year, and played 5 tournaments to cover the costs. Not sure I will play enough tourneys next year to make it worth the costs. You do get a disc with your membership. Mine was a nice black Stalker that I don't throw.....

If you want to play in "sanctioned" tournaments, then joining is pretty much necessary. And you can also join to "support the sport" in general. Also, you get a disc, which most people never throw, but you could use to start your wall of discs with, if you haven't already.

Regardless, you should join a local league (if you haven't already). Playing with a bunch of like minded people, making new friends, non sanctioned local tournaments, and legendary league parties make for a usually fun and rewarding experience.

Edit: Little known fact, thrembo was born in Peoria Il.

Thank you, once again. I love the sport, and no matter where I go from here, I'll keeping moving forward.

Great site, by the way. It's been interesting.

A PDGA rating potentially has more uses than saving $10 in PDGA tournament fees.

I'm playing in a winter league that will accept your PDGA rating for handicapping. Otherwise a new league player plays at 1000 until a league rating is established.

Having a rating also is useful in making sure you're in the right division for unsanctioned tournaments.

Latest posts