• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Nuke, NukeOS, NukeSS?

the_matt_peters

Par Member
I'm wanting to try one of them, but no one I know has one so it looks like I'm going to have to buy one. I was wondering what people's opinion of them were. I've got a better than average forehand (rh) and a below average backhand (rh). Which of these would most likely work the best for me?

Thanks!

The Nuke is a good forehand disc as I see many average players get good distance with them. The Nuke SS is super flippy at high speeds, but it goes a long way at lower speeds; therefore, it might be good for your backhand distance until you develop some power. Once you develop some power backhand, the Nuke SS could be used as a tailwind disc.

If I were you, I would stay away from the Nuke OS as it is meant for pros and advanced players who have tons of power. I have good power (350-375 feet) and I wouldn't even think about using the Nuke OS for distance.

With my champion Destroyer and Ape, I can push over 400' most of the time forehand throwing. I rarely drive with my backhand since it's so much weaker so I have no idea what it is. I've been working on it a lot though with my Star Archon.

I would say Nuke for forehand. If you have to throw a nuke backhand, then a NukeSS or an light XNuke is what i recommend.

Awesome, I'll see if I can't find someone that will let me throw one before I buy one. Although, it wouldn't be that bad just to put out for a new one either.

Well I have a used First Run NukeSS 7/10 condition that i would sell ya for $9 shipped. Let me know.

I've got all 3 in my bag and they aren't going anywhere any time soon. Nuke is a great bh disc for low wind and tailwind, I don't recommend it for forehands unless you don't put too much snap on your forehand throw. The Nuke OS is a great forehand disc, very overstable. Also useful for overhands and when you want a disc that is definitely not turning over. Nuke SS is a great bh roller disc and great for low speed long drives and fantastic for tailwinds. I highly recommend all three, but especially the Nuke and the Nuke OS.

Another one of those mythical 400' FH drivers eh... how come I have never seen anyone throw more then 350' FH?

If you really could throw 400' FH the Nuke OS would be perfect.

Well, I'm basing that off of a field out here that's a 500ft hole. I consistently get within 100ft of the pin. Only course out here that I've played that has a straight (no technical turns or twists, since it's in a field) hole that is measured that distance. Then again, I'm only getting that close with the Ape and Destroyer. Threw a Vulcan once on that hole and it went a good 75ft off the straight line when the wind caught it. None of the other courses I regularly play have holes near that far lol

Good call by yawp there, get them all for $30 and you'll be golden. As a matter of fact, add in 20 more bucks of merch and you'll get free shipping on that order.

Another one of those mythical 400' FH drivers eh... how come I have never seen anyone throw more then 350' FH?

ive seen people throw fh close to 500 ft with my eyes so it can be done, by very few but it can be done

I have seen Jeremy koling throw at least 400 ft with a backhand.

ive seen people throw fh close to 500 ft with my eyes so it can be done, by very few but it can be done

Same. This course on 84th street has some regulars that throw a nasty forehand. This one in particular can throw 500' with a beat to f wraith that I saw. Some real long drives being thrown forehand out there. Makes me want to further develop my own.

To the topic: I love my nukes. Not so much the SS but as stated earlier it's great for a tailwind.
The OS will handle any wind that southwest Michigan can produce, and I'm not talking speed stable. Even as fast as I can throw AND into a headwind I can not turn this disc. It must be turned at release. (unless your "godly" in ability) Not sure on forehand ability as I throw mostly backhand.
The original Nuke has been and will remain in my bag until it's no longer being produced. (if ever) And although not my favorite or preferred driver, It's IMO the best thats easy to get. (local shops) Which is nice when your unsure of your situation. The last thing you need is the worry of losing some hard-to-find disc on unfamiliar ground. Especially when you can get a Nuke at any retailer.

Im not saying this guy does, but my brother throws a consistent 400+ FH with an Xcaliber or an Ape

I've seen people forehand Xcaliber's and Boss's further than any other discs, 400' easy. I'm not saying the nuke can't compete with these discs, it's just there are better discs out there for strictly forehanding.

With my champion Destroyer and Ape, I can push over 400' most of the time forehand throwing. I rarely drive with my backhand since it's so much weaker so I have no idea what it is. I've been working on it a lot though with my Star Archon.

To me, if you're "pushing" past 400' with an ape, you can do whatever the crap you want. I throw 440' with destroyers, and can't imagine hitting 350' with an Ape.

As for your OP, the Nuke OS may be even more overstable than the Ape, IMHO.

Yeah, the Nuke OS is by far the most overstable of the new batch of overstable high-speed drivers (PD2, Ape, Nuke OS). I have a 400 foot backhand and with little wind, that disc doesn't go very far before it tanks left. It's fade is also a little strange. Reminds me of a Trident in that it doesn't just start fading out quickly, it nose-dives into the ground for me. It's a bit weird to get used to, but that type of fade is great for MASSIVE skips if thrown low and hard.