• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nuke SS vs. Katana

TheBGKid said:
So how do they compare to one another? Pros/cons of each?

The Nuke SS and the Vulcan are much more comparable. Even pro Katanas are more stable than the Z Nuke SS.

yup. nuke ss is just about the most flippy fast disc ive thrown. release with hyzer and it turns quickly into a roller.

that said, theres a lot of swing in the katanas. mid-heavy stars are damn overstable and the pros fly much more like the pre-production farting lemon kats (pre-production kats are maybe a step or two less flippy than their pro brethren). neither kat really flies as understable as the flip-machine that is the nuke ss.

oh man...i was so in love with those discs. probably my favorite new driver mold released that year.

production stars killed it for me though. had never seen a bigger swing from pre-production to regular production (c-pds were another big one).

the elite x nuke flies like the sweet katans to me but it beats up too fast. the vulcan and the nuke ss are similar though i think the nuke ss has a much better feel.

i agree. those vulcans drop like a rock. i played around with them in the super flippy tailwind distance driver slot, but they just dont seem to like riding the wind.

umm...I throw about 330 and I got a new 169 Red Z Nuke SS from Marshall Street. That thing is not understable by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone else have this happen?

The one I had would have turned even at that distance. Mine was a blue first run and it was WAY understable. I haven't explored the mold any further.

im about a 400' thrower and that thing flips hard out of the hand and doesnt stop. its a great first fast driver for noobs once they get to that stage though.

i got 2 nuke ss a yellow one with a that is vulcan understable, Then i got a really flat red one that is more stable. about the stablty of a orc. I like this one.

i have a flat flat flat Pink Z nuke SS, and its more stable than reg Z nukes ive had, weird

I throw teebirds about 320-30; either gentle hyzer lines or flipping up a DX one regarding my nuke. I can get a little bit more out of wraiths. In some sense, my disc behaves identical to the orange Z Nuke (normal) I got. Mine is also very flat so the stability might reallly be affected by dome/flatness for this particular disc.

My blue one was flat and flippy, more turn than my Vulcans. It lacked glide (probably due to the flatness) so even when I aired it out on a big distance line it only went about as far as my Wraiths would go on a (much more useable) low line drive.

Anyone wanting some understable Nuke action would probably be better off with a supply of X Nukes. Those are cheap, easily flippable and have glide to spare. If your courses are too rough on discs for X plastic then just beat in an ESP or Z Nuke with that rough course.

For the record, I like Katanas.

holyschemp said:
umm...I throw about 330 and I got a new 169 Red Z Nuke SS from Marshall Street. That thing is not understable by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone else have this happen?

That's because you dont have enugh power.

I can throw my nukes 450 on a ( very ) good day and they hardly flip for me.

Yea that's what I figured, but Marshall Street had them on sale :-D. And you know...maybe tomorrow....that next 50 feet breakthrough.....

Smigles said:
holyschemp said:

That's because you dont have enugh power.

I can throw my nukes 450 on a ( very ) good day and they hardly flip for me.

He's talking about the Nuke SS...Anyway, maybe you got a mismarked Nuke or Nuke OS. I've tested about 5 different SS, and although they've ranged from the most flippy disc I've ever thrown to a disc that I can get to ride on a line and fade on an 80% throw (though started with plenty of hyzer). Any of these discs would show high speed turn for anyone who can throw over 300. However, though I don't think this is the case with you, if you throw it nose up or with a bunch of hyzer it is fast and can still behave quite overstable.

money 21 said:
the elite x nuke flies like the sweet katans to me but it beats up too fast. the vulcan and the nuke ss are similar though i think the nuke ss has a much better feel.

Hey dude! What is Nuke SS. It's my first time hearing that. I'm a lover of katana and for me it rock's my life. I like the way it's slice. I really put dedication to my practice of the katana and slicing things was hard at first but it turns out that it really needs discipline. So, I'm curious of Nuke SS, What is it? :D :roll: