• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OAT test and Elimination

noah1

Par Member
If I wanted to make sure I didn't have OAT and wanted to test and eliminate it how would I go about doing it?

I have Rocs, classic rocs, wizards, warlocks, and gazelles. I probably want something more under stable than these, but can I test with these? Also, what is the OAT killer line? What line with these discs that when it doesn't wobble, I know I've successfully killed the beast of OAT?

Thanks in advance.

Try throwing your putters and mids for max D when you're doing field practice. They will turn and crash if you are not throwing them clean.

Throw shots as far as you can with a well seasoned or understable mid that STAY on a hyzer their entire flight. Not hyzer-flips. Keep it on the same hyzer angle the whole way.

SkaBob said:
Throw shots as far as you can with a well seasoned or understable mid that STAY on a hyzer their entire flight. Not hyzer-flips. Keep it on the same hyzer angle the whole way.
That seems like a good exercise, but I'm pretty sure I would have to throw nose up to keep discs like this from flattening on a full power throw. Looks like more of a nose angle exercise? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eric O said:
SkaBob said:
That seems like a good exercise, but I'm pretty sure I would have to throw nose up to keep discs like this from flattening on a full power throw. Looks like more of a nose angle exercise? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually, it's not always using a full power throw. You can also roll under to get discs to fly more overstable, too.

Do you want to be doing roll under exercises while testing for signs of OAT in your throw?

(If I sound argumentative, that's not my intent. Just trying to get a better understanding of what you guys are suggesting. :) )

I'm surprised skabob didn't pull out the ole' "Throw a Comet" idea.

Frankly, if you have one, it's a great disc for this. You can throw it pretty close to max power - 80-90%, pretty close to flat (maybe a 1/4" of hyzer) and it just goes straight and fades. If you put any anhyzer on it or have any OAT, then it goes to the right without fail. Even if you put hyzer on it and have OAT, it'll flip up and over. It's a zero on the stability, so it does exactly what you ask it to.

If not that, then I'd suggest this:

Get a handful of putters that you can drive with (more only means less walking).

Throw from a standstill position.

Throw big anhyzers in such a way as they glide down from left to right and land flat (not crash on an edge or fade back). When you can do this consistently, then you'll be throwing well.

Once you can do that, move to throwing them flat and then hyzer.

All you need to do to remove OAT is to finish in a mirror form of where you start. If you're level, finish level. Don't throw as hard if that's what it takes.

If you're talking about wobble, that is sometimes grip related as well, so it may not be OAT - best I can suggest is getting a video of yourself and look at it or post it for folks to comment.

EDIT: When it comes to grip, remember, the disc should be pivoting (coming off) your index finger and thumb grip. The rest is all for security and guidance. IF the disc is coming off those other fingers, then that might cause some wobble. Try pinching the disc tightly between index and thumb and just resting the others on the disc and throw a few light shots and see what happens.

Eric O said:
Do you want to be doing roll under exercises while testing for signs of OAT in your throw?

(If I sound argumentative, that's not my intent. Just trying to get a better understanding of what you guys are suggesting. :) )
Don't worry, it's a good question that I've thought about myself.

That's why you don't do it at full power. This is a specailty exercise is designed to identify and help eliminate roll-over and OAT that make the discs more understable. It's not really designed to teach control. You mess around with this until you figure out what you need to do to eliminate those types of problems. After that you move on to the Week 1 training assignment, which is really the whole exercise.

The Week 1 training assignment involves getting all your discs to hold all types of lines so you'll have to experiment with purposly imparting OAT to get discs to act more overstable and less overstable than they would on a clean throw as well as throwing discs cleanly so they act as intended. If you can get a beat Wizard/Roc/whatever-other-neutral-disc to go straight, right and left with the same power throw, then you know how to conrol which direction and how much OAT you impart.

I think the probably is grip and wrist roll related.

I switched grips at the same time I straighted out my pull. If I don't throw as hard or throw with a true power grip the OAT wobble seems to go away.

My rocs and aviars are my go to OAT test disc. If I throw my rocs at full power and they stay flat and don't turn over I know I'm throwing cleanly. If I throw the same shot and the roc turns over and tracks right a bit I know I've got a bit of OAT going on. Same goes for the Aviars.

black udder said:
I'm surprised skabob didn't pull out the ole' "Throw a Comet" idea.

Well I WAS gonna say Comet, but who knows how beat his rocs are :)

The trick is getting 80-90% with a Comet...That boils down to 65-75% of what most people put on buzzzes and rocs - or at least it sure feels like it :lol:

The elite-X Comet (in whatever weight you throw your "go-to" mids in) is probably the better Comet for this type of exercise. The ESP ones can take a bit more juice. I've got a 168g ESP one that fights quite a bit of power getting put into it!

I've got three moderately beat rocs, I don't think they are really beat enough to do this with, but they're the best of what I've got.

If my gateway underground order ever comes I'll have some elements on the way, those would probably be better for this or no?

Anyone ever had trouble with gateway underground?

Just a quick update on the gateway underground, talked to them today and everything is good.

I'll work on this stuff over the weekend and report back.

Thanks again for all the help you guys give.

Latest posts