• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"OAT"

I meant the less sciency, more literal for DG term 'roll'

Like a wheel :)

When you say roll over, to you mean the same movement as the disc "banking to the right" for a RHBH thrower? Or the flat spinning that all discs do when they are thrown - like an LP on a record player (or CD in a CD player if you are younger)?

@Garu

So, just in the way we hold a disc, for arguments sake your pinchpoint is at 12 o'clock, and its rotating from there. Its already off of that axis.

The throw starts out with a slight wobble (precession?) and usually corrects itself.
Would this be correct? (Assuming its not overly torqued on to the point it will roll)
Yeah, the disc pivots out of your hand about a point that isn't the center of the disc, but I haven't really though about the consequences of that. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter when it comes to improving your throw so I haven't devoted any time to it.

When you say roll over, to you mean the same movement as the disc "banking to the right" for a RHBH thrower? Or the flat spinning that all discs do when they are thrown - like an LP on a record player (or CD in a CD player if you are younger)?

I mean unintentionally executing a roller shot. What i was trying to convey was, if my understanding is true w/r/t my scenario i asked garu about, every throw will have a wobble at the begining, some sort of OAT by virtue of how we hold the disc and where it pivots off of. So, all throws=some OAT, but i was trying to avoid talking about throws which obviously were over-OAT'd that would result in a dump over and virtually no flight

Yeah, the disc pivots out of your hand about a point that isn't the center of the disc, but I haven't really though about the consequences of that. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter when it comes to improving your throw so I haven't devoted any time to it.

What i was eventually going to get at was;

Do you think there would be a way to hold the disc that would improve this wobble, and maybe lead to more precise line shaping and overall distance etc

Sorta like, throwing lids around will help your golf game out. Theyre different throws because theyre different discs. Maybe focusing more on releasing the disc and concentrating on a different rotational center could be beneficial

Last edited:
why did doofenshmirtz start a thread asking questions if he already "knows" all the answers?

The tl;dr version is that the link you gave, and what you appear to be talking about assumes that the "axis" is the one about which the disc is rotation, no matter what.

"Axis" and "rotation" are correlative, like parent and child, you can't have one without the other.

We're assuming the "on axis" is always perpendicular to the flight plate.

"We" are assuming nothing of the sort. The axis is the imaginary vertical line around which the disc rotates. You are claiming that a free spinning disc can have two at the same time, perpendicular to each other, which is akin to saying that single object can move in two directions at once.

So in my version, there can be torque components in different axes and in your version there can't.

Let us at least agree that torque is a force, energy applied rotationally. Torque from your hand to the disc stops the instant the disc leaves your hand. Torque, not being matter, can have no inertia or momentum. The disc, having mass, can have momentum. It can have rotational momentum, but because it cannot rotate on two axes at once, it cannot have rotational momentum in two separate directions.

Remember, the disc is spinning. The disc can have momentum, but if it is spinning on the yaw axis, any momentum on the roll axis would have to spin on the yaw axis with the disc. What you are trying to claim is that the roll axis rotational momentum is somehow divorced from the yaw axis spin. In other words you are claiming that the "spinning system" or, possibly, the yaw axis itself has momentum. It doesn't. It is the plastic of the disc that has momentum. You cannot divorce the momentum from the matter of which the disc is made.

You won't apparently agree, but what you are claiming is that the momentum imparted on the disc by your hand changes direction when the disc rotates 180 degrees. Imagine an "x" marked on the disc directly under your thumb. If your thumb presses downward on the "x" as the disc is released, then the momentum of the "x" should continue moving it downward until the disc flips over. The problem is that the "x" is moving in a circle. In order to buy into your explanation, the downward momentum on that part of the flight plate would have to remain stationary while the "x" spins around the yaw axis.

Your explanation requires that the "momentum" be stationary relative to the yaw axis when the matter that it was supposedly imparted upon spins around that axis.

What really happens is wobble. The part of the disc that you "torque" downward goes downward, the opposite half circle of the disc goes upward, the disc continues to spin on the vertical axis and you see wobble.

Defining the axes differently doesn't change what's happening. The link you gave supports everything I'm saying. It's just that the context is different because lids act way different than disc golf drivers because of the difference in amount of mass near the rim.

It really doesn't support the claim that the disc has multiple spin axes. In fact, that page specifically describes wobble as a spin axis not perpendicular to the flight plate. It also clearly demonstrates a disc wobbling when it has a single, vertical spin axis, something that you have, at the very least, implied as being impossible.

That's just not true. Nearly everyone who's thrown with OAT has observed that happening and the link you gave described the same thing.

You are just begging the question as to what caused the roll. The roll is explainable without claiming that it was caused by roll axis momentum. But, just play with a disc a while. Toss it up in the air and catch it. Put a little "torque" on release and see if you get anything other than wobble. If "OAT" induced, roll-axis momentum makes thrown discs roll to the right all the time, you should have no problem inducing this when there are no other external forces to cause it (like the off-center lift combined with precession that causes turnover and fade).

You will get wobble after wobble after wobble. You will not get some slow roll in addition to spin. Post your video when you get the slow roll and I will buy into your explanation.

Incidentally, I have never heard a hyzer flip explained as being caused by "OAT." At least every once in a while, a XXX or NukeOS should flip up due to "OAT" when thrown on a hyzer, no?

With lids you get wobble real easy compared to disc golf drivers because of how different the mass is distributed in the disc. Lids require the cleanest throw in the tri-state area to be thrown with lots of power. With drivers there's a ton of mass at the rim (way more angular momentum) so they resist wobble really well. Players learn to throw these discs with lots of OAT (a lid would wobble a ton and crash almost immediately) to get them to fly straight. They only see the disc turn more than it should (but as much as the flight ratings describe) rather than the wobble you see with a lid.

They throw it with anhyzer. I've seen it many times.

I have also seen discs corkscrew on tomahawk throws. I suspect that an angle of attack that is below the nose down, zero-lift point is to blame, but I do not know that. This could also explain the inital turn on "torqued" throws rotating the spin axis too far forward just before release. It could also be a combination of an anhyzer release with and understable disc and low spin rate. Who knows. But "OAT"-induced, roll-axis momentum? Not.

This has got to be the shortest thread with the most typed words ever!

I hate to even add to this but, here goes...

Disc Nerds Unite!

Some people need to think about how dorky disc golf really is (especially to a person who has never seen this activity before) and rethink how all this wasted energy on the science talk of throwing a Frisbee gets you nothing. I will bet this wont/can't help your game what-so-ever. :doh:

To the OP... Why did you start a thread about something you think you everything in? :thmbdown:

^See his sig? Nothing better to do.

:sigh:

you're from Louisiana, stop pretending you understand science!

This has got to be the shortest thread with the most typed words ever!

I hate to even add to this but, here goes...

Disc Nerds Unite!

Some people need to think about how dorky disc golf really is (especially to a person who has never seen this activity before) and rethink how all this wasted energy on the science talk of throwing a Frisbee gets you nothing. I will bet this wont/can't help your game what-so-ever. :doh:

To the OP... Why did you start a thread about something you think you everything in? :thmbdown:

It'll be okay man. Science makes a lot of people's head hurt. We get it. You shouldn't feel bad about not understanding.

As to why I started the thread, you should read the original post again. I''ve heard "OAT" used to describe different things. As I understand it, it does explain wobble. But when I started hearing it used in different contexts, I was a little surprised. Take this into account, then go somewhere and read the definition for the phrase "rhetorical question" and you'll sort of understand where I am coming from. The original post was part question and part argument. If someone had a less than nonsensical explanation as to why "OAT" supposedly causes turnover, I really did want to hear it. Instead, there seems to be nothing behind it except some mystical "torque momentum" belief that, among other thing, divorces inertia from the actual mass of the disc.

Undertanding what "OAT" actually causes (wobble) and why it is not causing your disc to continue to roll might actually help you address the real problem, whatever that is. BTW, what I think the cause is, is a nose-down angle of attack, somewhat more nose down than the zero-lift position. I don't know this to be a fact, but it would provide a rational explanation for the roll that some people try to explain with "OAT."

Unfortunately, "wobble" is just as easy to say as "O-A-T," and without being useful in explaining anything else, many disc golfer wouldn't have some cool sounding codeword to make them sound like they know more about disc golf than what they really do.

Last edited:
It really doesn't support the claim that the disc has multiple spin axes. In fact, that page specifically describes wobble as a spin axis not perpendicular to the flight plate. It also clearly demonstrates a disc wobbling when it has a single, vertical spin axis, something that you have, at the very least, implied as being impossible.
The thing about axes is they're imaginary. We can define them however we want to help us understand the situation. Even on a perfectly clean throw we can define our axes in a way that gives torque components on multiple axes. It's just that when we normally talk about torque we define one axis to be the axis of rotation. Many times there is a physical axis that something is rotating about. That isn't the case in our situation. In this case, many people find it's much easier to understand if we define one axis as the intended axis of rotation rather than the actual axis of rotation. If you have components about an axis other than the intended axis, you have off-axis torque. It's both what I'm saying and what the link you gave is describing, we're just defining our axes differently.

Doofenshmirtz said:
Unfortunately, "wobble" is just as easy to say as "O-A-T," and without being useful in explaining anything else, many disc golfer wouldn't have some cool sounding codeword to make them sound like they know more about disc golf than what they really do.
Again, it's been shown that Dave Dunipace was one of the earliest (if not the first) people to use the term. Trying to convince people you understand disc flight with regards to throwing technique better than him is going to be an uphill battle.

Probably because he's pure evil. ;) Perhaps he's inventing the anti-wobbleinator and is looking to drum up interest.

Given his user name, him claiming to have a better understanding of science than everyone else is either an elaborate pun or unintentionally ironic. Given that he's resorted to condescension and insults, my guess is the latter.

It'll be okay man. Science makes a lot of people's head hurt. We get it. You shouldn't feel bad about not understanding.

It'll be okay man. Interpersonal interaction makes a lot of people's head hurt. We get it. You shouldn't feel bad about not understanding.

I think you might actually have a fair point and are more technically correct about the physics of disc rotation. However, if you approached this in a more collaborative spirit instead of a confrontational one, people might put more effort into understanding what you are attempting to say.

It seems like your point is that disc golfers are unecessarily using the jargon term "OAT" when they could just as easily say "wobble" and be more transparent to a new disc golfer. Like I said above, try a more collaborative attitude and maybe you'll make a difference.

Or, if you were just butt-hurt because someone used jargon you didn't know, then go back to your lab and make a dejargoninator so no one in the tri-state area can use jargon words you don't know.

Undertanding what "OAT" actually causes (wobble) and why it is not causing your disc to continue to roll might actually help you address the real problem, whatever that is. I don't know this to be a fact, but it would provide a rational explanation for the roll that some people try to explain with "OAT."

some cool sounding codeword to make them sound like they know more about disc golf than what they really do.

rolling your wrist over is a code word? "OAT" is DG slang lol. Autocorrect doesn't like hyzer either but hey we use it.

It'll be okay man. Interpersonal interaction makes a lot of people's head hurt. We get it. You shouldn't feel bad about not understanding.

Agreeing that people have a fair point about something that is incorrect isn't the way to go in my opinion. To each his own.

I think you might actually have a fair point and are more technically correct about the physics of disc rotation. However, if you approached this in a more collaborative spirit instead of a confrontational one, people might put more effort into understanding what you are attempting to say.

Frankly, I doubt it. People get very invested in beliefs when they are agreed with or when they simply believe that most others agree with them. Disagree, and you will be instructed on how you are actually wrong because others agree with them [ad populum], or how Dave Dunipace knows and he knows more than you because he is a physicist turned disc golfer [appeal to authority], or how everyone sees the disc turning over so you must be wrong [begging the question].

When I talk about "OAT" being used as a codeword, that doesn't mean that it is not descriptive of the force that causes a disc to wobble. But when it is expanded to describe something that it doesn't and cannot cause, then it just propagates ignorance. But but people still get invested in it and any "nice" challenge to that misunderstanding will likely get dismissed. YMMV. It's codeword status comes from its use by people to make them feel part of the herd.

It seems like your point is that disc golfers are unecessarily using the jargon term "OAT" when they could just as easily say "wobble" and be more transparent to a new disc golfer. Like I said above, try a more collaborative attitude and maybe you'll make a difference.

While that is part of the point, the bigger problem, IMO is the expanded and incorrect use to describe something else.

Or, if you were just butt-hurt because someone used jargon you didn't know, then go back to your lab and make a dejargoninator so no one in the tri-state area can use jargon words you don't know.

Nope, I understood "OAT" to mean what you do to a disc to cause it to wobble. That is actually problematic enough because an unclean release can cause wobble and that isn't generally what people mean when they say "OAT" at least as I understand it's use. But when the herd decides that it is what causes every turnover that occurs early in the flight of a disc the herd members won't accept any other explanation, no matter how nicely you try to explain their error.

Sometimes you just have to figuratively pull the bell cow's pants down to get the herds attention.

Latest posts