• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off axis torque

OAT is when I throw my putter or mid about 45 degrees off line into the trees on the right. It is not a pretty thing to watch. I usually have my form break down when I am trying to throw too hard. Someone said on here once that smooth is far, and that is true.

Off Axis Torque, I know her well. Those wiser than me say that learning to throw putters and Comets clean and without flutter/wobble will cleanse you of your OAT. I am actually getting a Comet and an Ion to field practice and play with a lot to finally nip this problem in the bud. I've thrown mids and putters to get rid of it before and it does help.

The disc I see the most OAT out of is the KC Roc or midranges in general. My guess is, mainly in part because you do throw mids, quite often if not most of the time, with less than 100 % power.

Only being a KC Roc thrower for all my mid shots, learning to throw these with no OAT has really helped any shot that I throw in my bag, from drives to short approach shots.

As you can see by his response bikinjack has not only seen my OAT, but it has affected his brain. If you are playing with me please do yourself a favor and don't watch. It is dangerous to your game, and highly addictive.

The disc I see the most OAT out of is the KC Roc or midranges in general. My guess is, mainly in part because you do throw mids, quite often if not most of the time, with less than 100 % power.

Only being a KC Roc thrower for all my mid shots, learning to throw these with no OAT has really helped any shot that I throw in my bag, from drives to short approach shots.

Actually you see it more from mids since they don't hide it as well as most drivers.

Also the guy in the pic is Devan Owens.....98% sure on this and he can rip the snot out of a disc and was throwing 500+ with a Spirit when he was 15.

As you can see by his response bikinjack has not only seen my OAT, but it has affected his brain. If you are playing with me please do yourself a favor and don't watch. It is dangerous to your game, and highly addictive.

I didn't think your form was bad, at least not as bad as mine. My biggest problem lately is that when I'm driving RHBH, I remember that the left side of my body doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing. Makes no sense, I know, but that's what has happened in my brain lately. Why am I even thinking about my left arm? So them I try to not think about it, and you know how that goes. So then I try to think only about my right arm, but then I remember that I need to forget about my left arm to focus on my right arm. So then I'm back to thinking about my left arm. My brain hurts. I suck. But I had fun playing today. The weather was delicious.

I didn't think your form was bad, at least not as bad as mine. My biggest problem lately is that when I'm driving RHBH, I remember that the left side of my body doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing. Makes no sense, I know, but that's what has happened in my brain lately. Why am I even thinking about my left arm? So them I try to not think about it, and you know how that goes. So then I try to think only about my right arm, but then I remember that I need to forget about my left arm to focus on my right arm. So then I'm back to thinking about my left arm. My brain hurts. I suck. But I had fun playing today. The weather was delicious.

Oh man, that is hilarious. I just throw the damn disc and don't think anything!:D

I'm really trying not to think. But that requires thought. Circles.

HA! Clear your mind...what works for me (in general, not just dg related) is taking a succession of deep breaths, concentrating not on the inhale/exhale, but on the tiny spaces in between. Harder than it sounds. Do that several times, and your head should be pretty well cleared. :\

HA! Clear your mind...what works for me (in general, not just dg related) is taking a succession of deep breaths, concentrating not on the inhale/exhale, but on the tiny spaces in between. Harder than it sounds. Do that several times, and your head should be pretty well cleared. :\

I'll try that, but ultimately, I don't think it will work. What is my off hand/arm supposed to be doing while I'm throwing?

I'll try that, but ultimately, I don't think it will work. What is my off hand/arm supposed to be doing while I'm throwing?

Uh, mine doesn't really do anything....:D

I'm a terrible newb, so you're asking the wrong fellow if you're looking for technical throwing advice. I'm ok at mental edge kinda things, but otherwise....?

Uh, mine doesn't really do anything....:D

I'm a terrible newb, so you're asking the wrong fellow if you're looking for technical throwing advice. I'm ok at mental edge kinda things, but otherwise....?

I think my main problem is that I don't know what it should be doing. Hopefully this will bring a good answer.

I'm a bit thick I guess... Let me understand this. It's all about keeping the disc in line with the shoulders and not rolling my wrist over? (I do this)

I'm a bit thick I guess... Let me understand this. It's all about keeping the disc in line with the shoulders and not rolling my wrist over? (I do this)
That's part of it. You can get it from grip problems, too.

If you think of it like an airplane, the OAT we're normally talking about is roll. It's a force that's causing an upward or downward force on the wings. Roll over for a RHBH throw would be like pushing the left wing of an airplane upwards, causeing the plane to go right.