• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

off center, asymetrical discs

it is a pain to get them tuned correct, as soon as it hits something remotely solid it loses its tune and you have to do it all over again

It is hard to judge this disc, because it was made to be "tuneable". Look Aerobie Epic up on Goolge and go to the website if you're not sure what I mean.
Because it's made to be tuneable, it tunes itself upon contact with unmoveable things. I believe that it's the reason that so many people disagree about it. Two people could throw an Epic and get entirely different results based on its tuning and/or tree-tuning.

You'll only know if you try one yourself.

It is a floater as well...possibly the best floater out there because it can outdrive the dragon or hydra

I couldn't even give my epic away. I finally did trade it to a guy who gave me a champion groove for it.
CRAZY! :)...but thanks for the cool champion disc :), I hope you enjoy that craplastic disc.

I actually did/do enjoy it, thanks. Since I know how to throw it, with out throwing it tommy, it does what is supposed to. The Groove on the otherhand wouldn't fly for me if I gave it wings and attached a rocket to it.

I can't get that groove to fly forehand for anything, but sidearm it works. I am glad it works out for you, I hate to see plastic go to waste.

RE: Epic...

If you are primarily a forehand and OVERHAND thrower this is a must have disc. I have one, and it's cool, but it's not worth a "one trick pony" disc that i dont throw enough to master.

I can say, however, it's fairly consistent, straight, and will land exactly where you want it. (if you throw it enough to get it). I have not played baseball in a LONG while, as a result, my arm is weak, i could only get it to top out @ 225'... but it did drop almost exactly where i wanted it.

The only guys i see with it are the guys who primarily drive Overhand or throw overhand most of the time. These are guys i've met who, for some reason, cant or are physically unable to throw backhands (bum knee, hip, etc).

When mastered, the Epic can throw with the precision of a baseball... But for the rest of us, it's too inconsistent, or not worth the extra weight of a "thumber only" disc.

Now that there is an article in the discgolfer magazine talking about the Aerobie Epic I wonder how many of these discs are being sold?

I actually like it. of course it is not a primary disc, but if out need out of a sticky situation i can always count on the epic. i t-hawk or thumb it! also for some reason i am really good at throwing 30-40ft t-hawk putts with it. it freaks ppl out!

Doesn't the "Flick" also have this feature? I think I remember seeing that on one, though not near as pronounced as the Epic. Am I just imagining this?

The flick is flat, consistent, has a symmetrical wing, is next to impossible to tune, and is generally totally unlike the epic. They're both good OH discs, but that's where the similariies end.

The flick is flat, consistent, has a symmetrical wing, is next to impossible to tune, and is generally totally unlike the epic. They're both good OH discs, but that's where the similariies end.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure. Never owned one or thrown one just thought I remembered seeing that. I was mistaken.

Thank you!

I believe Marshall Street showed (~1yr ago or so) that the Epic was their #8 (+ or -) selling driver. How many that is, who knows - but it sells well enough I guess!

The Epic is NOT every person's cup of tea, but if you DO take the time to "learn it", it WILL do a combination of things that no other disc can.

First off, BECAUSE of its very large wing surface area, it is virtually impossible (compared to other discs) to throw on a perfect clothes line. You WILL get a giant "s" curve out of most any bh or fh you throw. But this can be a GOOD thing...depending.

Also, any conventional disc thrown overhand will execute a "one-turn flight path"...as in a rhoh thumber will pan out right to left and then come back left to right (then hit the ground). This is akin to a rhfh hyzer or rhbh anhy.
The Epic will do (for the same rhoh thumber) a r to l, back l to r, glide and then hyzer out back r to l...thus effecting an elongated "s" curve.

And NO disc has the potential to fly further in an oh throw BECAUSE of the Epics large wing surface (which allows the disc to "right itself" into a glide position and then glide...whereas a conventional disc thrown oh will always be oriented belly up and will never get to the glide position).

Karl

whoa way to dig this from the grave - I saw Vegan Ray posted in here and did a double take to realize it was 10 months ago.

The Epic is garbage IMO. You can try to learn it, or you can save yourself the frustration and throw something easier ;)

I think the Epic is more of a crutch than anything else. Just like JTacoma03 said, spend your time focusing on something consistent that you can use on more holes more often than not.

Karl, if your last post was in code, I've uncovered the message here:

NOT DO WILL BECAUSE WILL GOOD NO BECAUSE

learn to throw a back hand and never consider an epic (POS) again. I have thrown them over 450, but sometimes that could be 300 feet offline...very unpredictable and marks you as a noob

bcr,

You're an E. PA boy...sometime I hope to play a round of dg with you. After such you may have a different opinion.

Karl

I think the Epic is more of a crutch than anything else. Just like JTacoma03 said, spend your time focusing on something consistent that you can use on more holes more often than not.

Karl, if your last post was in code, I've uncovered the message here:

NOT DO WILL BECAUSE WILL GOOD NO BECAUSE

bcr,

You're an E. PA boy...sometime I hope to play a round of dg with you. After such you may have a different opinion.

Karl

it's on