• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-The-Radar 5-Star Courses

Just played Cannon Ridge for the first time a few weeks ago and that course is awesome, plus tiki!

Walnut is also awesome. New Quarter was a solid 4 for me.

Haven't made it to Waller Mill or Lynnwood yet, both have been almost trips the past year or two.

Haven't seen Goliath mentioned yet, love that course!

North Calias

Frost Valley

Iffy Holler
Is Iffy still playable (if only ocassionally)?
Such wonderfully rolling terrain, so many breathtaking views and challenging holes. One of the most memorable courses I've ever played.

Special thanks to Tall Paul for hooking me up to play Iffy, as well as Ozark Mtn just before that property got sold.

Just played Cannon Ridge for the first time a few weeks ago and that course is awesome, plus tiki!

Walnut is also awesome. New Quarter was a solid 4 for me.

Haven't made it to Waller Mill or Lynnwood yet, both have been almost trips the past year or two.

Haven't seen Goliath mentioned yet, love that course!

North Calias

Frost Valley

Iffy Holler
When I think of Cannon Ridge, I think of #8 an open blind water carry with a beautiful home as a backdrop. When I played, their were no tee signs. I knew the lake was there, but I was wondering how many people didn't, and didn't know they had splash their disc.

Waller Mill is slowing installing turf on long tees, their are now four. Adding C1 whiskers at all baskets this year was a nice touch. Paul Mcbeth twice has shown up for a fall tournament, the last one 2020. One of the cardmates stated that Paul had said Waller Mill was his favorite course in Virginia. I remember one of his rounds scored at 5 under, you now have a goal to reach 😀.

I've heard the concrete tees are now installed at Lynnwood, a few holes realigned, and tweaking of basket placements for difficulty, like it already wasn't. I plan on getting up there again in the next few months.

When I think of Cannon Ridge, I think of #8 an open blind water carry with a beautiful home as a backdrop. When I played, their were no tee signs. I knew the lake was there, but I was wondering how many people didn't, and didn't know they had splash their disc.

Waller Mill is slowing installing turf on long tees, their are now four. Adding C1 whiskers at all baskets this year was a nice touch. Paul Mcbeth twice has shown up for a fall tournament, the last one 2020. One of the cardmates stated that Paul had said Waller Mill was his favorite course in Virginia. I remember one of his rounds scored at 5 under, you now have a goal to reach 😀.
Paul has also called the Sunnyside at Blockhouse his favorite VA course. One of those events at Waller he left his bag at the hotel and played with 3-4 borrowed discs and shot the hot score for the first round.

There are certainly some under the radar gems, more known locally than others. But from my list of played courses here's a list of the most surprisingly wonderful courses that get overlooked.

Oggwood - Cedar Hill, TN (It's a 3 stars course with a 5 star Vibe) and has to be experienced to understand and appreciate
Rock River Ranch - Bowling Green, KY (Private Course)
Clover Cliff - Emporia, KS (Probably a 4 star in terms of difficulty, but a 5 star in terms of views, memories, and experience)
Sharp Springs - Smyrna, TN (Beautiful, difficult, and well kept with a super dedicated local club)
Seven Oaks - Nashville, TN (Severely underrated and overshadowed by other Nashville courses, probably the best course in Nashville honestly)
Old Post - Russellville, AR (Held a silver series a few years back but is pretty much forgotten by the pros)
Snowbowl - Flagstaff, AZ (Hosted worlds way back, crazy elevation changes, views, and experience. Disc gold at 9'000 feet)
New Lake - Oakland City, IN (Brand new course still has time needed to fully cut in and wear in but will be amazing eventually)
McNaughton/Meggido - Pekin, IL (Not really under the radar, but mostly forgotten and overlooked by Pros because of Lake Eureka Temp and Northwoods Black in nearby Peoria.
Wow! I love this thread! This is why I course bag! It is so fun finding an underrated gem. Definitely agree with your Seven Oaks and Sharp Springs take. I don't play them anymore when passing through because they have gotten so crowded.

Oggwood - Cedar Hill, TN (It's a 3 stars course with a 5 star Vibe) and has to be experienced to understand and appreciate
I have to agree with this.

Strictly from the perspective of discplay, Oggwood is good (very good at best). But the owner's beyond friendly, and the vibe is great.

It'd be a great course for fun time league play, special events, glow rounds... stuff where the people attending tend to enhance the experience.

But a " great disc golf course," that you really need to play, not so much.

Paw Paw - it was well-known a long time back, but it is still that good
I'm on a trip right now and noticed that Paw Paw was within striking distance, my GF insisted that we make the trek so I could check it off my bucket list.

They were indeed great courses. Lots of gnats and mugginess but I suppose that goes with the territory. I've never been a ball golf player, but I feel like these courses emulate the challenge, where a par feels well earned, and a birdie is exceptional. The open holes were a bit much for my noodle arm to take advantage of, but had a good time in the woods.

My main criticism would be that some of the woods holes seemed to have too much luck factor, especially for a course that's been in the ground so long. Though, as I was tromping around looking for my discs and the pins, I did see that there were some local knowledge routes/landing zones that would tilt the odds in your favor.

Great courses all around, I'm glad I made the trip. I think Whippin' Post was my favorite of the two.

They were indeed great courses. Lots of gnats and mugginess but I suppose that goes with the territory. I've never been a ball golf player, but I feel like these courses emulate the challenge, where a par feels well earned, and a birdie is exceptional. The open holes were a bit much for my noodle arm to take advantage of, but had a good time in the woods.

My main criticism would be that some of the woods holes seemed to have too much luck factor, especially for a course that's been in the ground so long. Though, as I was tromping around looking for my discs and the pins, I did see that there were some local knowledge routes/landing zones that would tilt the odds in your favor.
You should have seen those holes in 1997... back then as soon as you were off the "way" (borrowing the term from Stan McDaniel- "there aren't fairways but there are ways") you started throwing forehand rollers until you arrived at the basket. Now you have options to throw airshots. There are definitely holes at Wap Wap that I would not design myself but it remains my favorite place to go play a couple times a year.

Is Iffy still playable (if only ocassionally)?
Such wonderfully rolling terrain, so many breathtaking views and challenging holes. One of the most memorable courses I've ever played.

Special thanks to Tall Paul for hooking me up to play Iffy, as well as Ozark Mtn just before that property got sold.
Yes, I know there was a tourney this spring.

All of those trees are essential :p

Paw Paw = probability + frisbeeeeeee
I love those courses because I enjoy thinking about which shots will have better probabilities for me (and there's no way of refuting my thinking because I'm not formally adding up the hits and misses!). It makes complete sense that it isn't everyone's cup of tee.

This all reminds me that I should actually practice my forehand roller this summer so I won't cry if I make it out that way.

Anybody mention Mayflower Hills in Roanoke? That was a FANTASTIC course...not too far out of the way, and has everything you could ever want and need in a five star course. That has been my favorite course that I've personally played in the last couple of years (including stopping at Harmon Hills a few hours down I-81).

Anybody mention Mayflower Hills in Roanoke? That was a FANTASTIC course...not too far out of the way, and has everything you could ever want and need in a five star course. That has been my favorite course that I've personally played in the last couple of years (including stopping at Harmon Hills a few hours down I-81).
Seconded Mayflower Hills.

i thought mayflower was pretty standard for the region i dont understand the hype

i thought mayflower was pretty standard for the region i dont understand the hype
What other courses in the region do you think are that level? I think you could trade it for any of our courses in Charlotte, and it would stand out as the best, or at least top 3, due to its length, challenge, and terrain.

What other courses in the region do you think are that level? I think you could trade it for any of our courses in Charlotte, and it would stand out as the best, or at least top 3, due to its length, challenge, and terrain.
yall gunna hate me but all that appalachian terrain looks mostly the same to me (consistent and gorgeous but no sledgehammer beauty)

at that level i would put patapsco or even some of the tyler state park holes/courses

above mayflower i would put freedom run or lake marshall

in the closer proximity i would put it around the likes of the open course at indian rock or a better designed redeemer or a less hilly darcy knob

if it wasnt for dgcr hyping it up i woulda thought 3.5 ish and never thought about it again

yall gunna hate me but all that appalachian terrain looks mostly the same to me (consistent and gorgeous but no sledgehammer beauty)

at that level i would put patapsco or even some of the tyler state park holes/courses

above mayflower i would put freedom run or lake marshall

in the closer proximity i would put it around the likes of the open course at indian rock or a better designed redeemer or a less hilly darcy knob

if it wasnt for dgcr hyping it up i woulda thought 3.5 ish and never thought about it again
Dave242 would take issue with that

i would like to revise and correct my statement

it was muddy run i was thinking of and not patapsco

same deal with muddy run its 3.5 ish but nothing special for the region and pretty forgettable (hence my confusion)

Latest posts