• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ok 150 discs, beat discs and the secret.....

Billym

Eagle Member
Two things happened today.
I got back a really beat up 175 DX Leopard that spent the last 6 to 8 months in the brackish lake at my local.
In the same day on a lark I bought a 150g Champion Sidewinder.
I had enough time to squeeze 18 in just before dark.
The Beat DX Leo was amazing. Although it was touchy flippy; released on a deep hyzer with a level release this baby fought a 15 mph headwind from 11 o'clock and almost aced a 240 foot over water drive. This disc had a 150 to 200 feet of straight flight and then a pronounced right turn (RHBH). Lovely!

The 150 Ch SW was another surprise!
I don't know why some of us start off throwing heavy discs (even though Innova's starter set is all 150g) but let me tell you about the light discs. Yes you have you adjust the release (hyzer) and be honest (not big OAT) but a 150 disc in a mold you know will amaze you.
The 150 SW released flat turned a steady arc 95 degree turn for over 300 feet. the first EASY/pick up birdie on a hole I have struggles to beat par.
The same disc thrown on hyzer (flip) on a hole where an excessive turnover (RHBH) gives you a really bad upshot gave me a long straight drive that set me up for easy par on a hole where 4 was my average.

Come to think of it I also got back a DX Wraith that also was flippy fantastic. Throw a low even hyzer release and get a big flip up distance drive.

Light and flippy is fun to play with...

Anyway some will say Duh but some other will say Oh!

You can cut down on the amount of hyzer you need to release 150 class discs by gripping them less firmly. I found the best results when gripping them about as firmly as I'd grip a putter when driving with it. It felt REALLY loose gripping a driver like that, but that was what helped me really nail down throwing 150 class.

Thanks SkaBob!
I have been finding grip is as important as arm speed etc. That makes sense thanks for the info.
I can't believe more folks are not "abusing" the ultra light weights. This opened a whole new can of worms.

happy to see another convert :)

I enjoyed the 150 champ sidewinder for a long time, but after running into some serious headwinds, I've had to resort my bag and for now, they're out and a heavier sidewinder is doing double duty.

I'm throwing around 325' on demand and find that those sidewinders are great for a hole around 300' that requires a fairly straight throw without much punishment for a little skip at the end. You can just backhand flick them and they'll take you 250'+ with a lot of control. Almost the same power as an approach shot with a heavy putter.

If you like the 150g field, A couple discs I found just great are the star teebird and champ firebird. A couple of great discs that perform well without a ton of power and a little snap.

I love the 150 ESP Flick, but it's not for everyone...it's too flippy for some and too fast for others. It's REALLY fun to do insane things with, though!

I've been playing an all dx bag lately and one of the most fun discs has been a 172 dx sidewinder. Tail wind bombs and windless turnovers that put the valk to shame.

I have to say I dislike dx leopards though. Ill take a beat Gazelle.

I think I know exactly the holes at acquatic you described. I have a pro whippet that came out of those same brackish waters.

I have a Raging Inferno DT that's in the 130g range. My max typical driving distance backhand is 375' on a golf line, but with a bit of a tailwind especially uphill that light RI-DT will carry 400ft pretty easy.

You can also get surprising distance out of a 120g Speed Demon...

I think for people who aren't comfortable or capable of throwing a big distance anhyzer, a light disc can help with getting height and getting the disc to turn nose down before finishing back left.

I love tossing my wife's 150g champ sidewinder. To the point where I make sure I have it in the bag some times. It can be quite useful. With her 150g Polaris LS I can almost curve that thing so far right it lands behind me...almost.

We'd probably all be better players if we learned to throw just 150s all the time.

ner02 said:
I have a Raging Inferno DT that's in the 130g range. My max typical driving distance backhand is 375' on a golf line, but with a bit of a tailwind especially uphill that light RI-DT will carry 400ft pretty easy.

You can also get surprising distance out of a 120g Speed Demon...

I think for people who aren't comfortable or capable of throwing a big distance anhyzer, a light disc can help with getting height and getting the disc to turn nose down before finishing back left.

My flat 130 S Spirit goes nowhere on high lines including annies and few feet off the ground it's longer than on distance lines. That thing fades like crazy. Doesn't handle wind. So there's a lot of stability variation between light discs in calm weather. They don't teach as many things as driving with putters but OAT elimination is possible with light discs.

Light discs are excellent training tools for getting rid of OAT.

I have a 150g Pro-D XL that I used to train high-turnover nosedown shots with. I dont use it on the course, but for working on a specific shot and removing OAT it was really good.

redher makes a good point about the 150 XL...It's one of the discs that really got throwing 150 class down, for me. Learning to throw it laser straight 370 feet was priceless in my development.

Latest posts