• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] One disc that every player should try at least once.

BenHaavisto

Par Member
What is one disc that you think every player should own/try at least once?

My choice would be a Valkyrie I have many fond memories of people of all skill levels throwing fantastic shots with them, and seeing many newer players (myself included) learn how to throw better and really develop their game through this disc.

Especially if it's a new player, I would recommend the Mako3.

What I might also recommend is the Innova Champion plastic Starter Set, which IIRC contains a Panther and Valkyrie. Or the DX Starter Set. They'll get ya done.

I'm going with Leopard, and in Pro

but nowadays there are so many options for any type of disc. Other options would be Star Teebird, X or Z Comet, any Zone, Champ Firebird, Z Buzzz.

Last edited:
If the disc must be a golf disc, then I guess that I would choose something that is slow; so a putter or a midrange.

My first thought was to go with an Aviar. But actually, one could just as well choose lots of other putters that behave just like it. Even actual Aviars that are produced today are not made from the original mold, so there is really nothing sacred about them now.

So, I'll choose to go to midranges, and change the original condition to be, "What is the one mold that every player should take the time to learn to throw early on in their development?"

My choice is the Comet.

However, if I can expand the choices to ones outside of golf discs, then I would probably choose the Discraft Ultrastar sport disc. I wish that I had learned to throw these before getting into disc golf.

Franklin's Albatross. :|

I agree with the Comet. Fairly unique disc. And based on some players I see out there, not everyone has even thrown a midrange ;)
Agreed. Most of the people I play with bag zero midranges.

I'll go Roc, because it's my fav, but would encourage more midrange love in general.

Agreed. Most of the people I play with bag zero midranges.

Like seriously? I figure if you are serious enough to own a bag dedicated to disc golf, you probably are good enough to throw a midrange properly.

Like seriously? I figure if you are serious enough to own a bag dedicated to disc golf, you probably are good enough to throw a midrange properly.
Tbf, there are not a lot of tight lines in my area. Lots of 250-350' hyzerfests. But that's precisely why I like mids to make it more fun.

Shark, might make help them find a midrange they can use. I have found people struggling with midrange disc, Buzz or Truth is too close to a Leopard/3 or other similar disc they have so they never use it or they struggle trying to force the ROC/Wasp/Compass type of classic beaded midrange style disc even though they have trouble with a beaded midrange. The other nice thing a Shark can do besides being a midrange is take the place of the driving and or approach putter thanks to the profile to save on a disc or two needing to be in the bag.