• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Ontario/King Cobra info!!!

fasteddie

Eagle Member
*after posting, I realized this is long winded.. :doh:

I'm looking for definitive info on the Ontario mold champion cobra.

I have been throwing Ont/King? cobras since the first release from the innova factory store, it's my favorite mold... I LOVE IT!!! It's a slim profile beat DX roc in premium plastic! HSS galore with little LSS. It really is the teebird midrange... :popcorn:

after the initial "Ont" factory store release (with the DX classic cobra stamp and wrong flight numbers) the KC (king cobra)/SS(super stingray) made their way to the stock market.

I have a large stash of the first two stocks of the FS cobra and several of the dynamic dirty dozen glow variation. (all orange except the glows)

Is the "Ont" factory store mold the same as the "king cobra" mold? if so, is this confirmed anywhere??

Is the FS "Ont"/King Cobra mold the same as the old school ontario champ cobra tooling?? Is this confirmed anywhere?

I have read that the KC and the SS were test molds for the "3" flat tops that paved way for the roc*/shark*/mako*/teebird*/TL* "3" molds, again is this confirmed anywhere??

Do the "multi purpose" and old school ont champ cobras fly true/same to the KC/Ont cobra's flight path? 4/5/0/2?

I've almost bought several old school champ cobras, but they've been expensive as hell and I've worried that I'm buying exactly what I already have just in a CE/old school plastic.

sadly an innova representative mentioned that the king cobra mold may be on the chopping block next year (like the SS/Max/Coyote were this year) and

I'd like to get as much solid info on the mold when/while I can!

I have tried to PM paul mcbeth (don't flame me.. I understand why and didn't really expect a response to my silly questions from the McBeast) as well as the innova email/spintv ask "so and so" without a response.

Any info is appreciated as well as discussion/pics/experience of the said molds (king/ont/old school champ).... if there is any difference ;)

let's keep this on the front page people!! I know there are insanely knowledgeable people on this forum that know more than I do!

The only King i throw is the Dirty Dozen Tour Glow. I love that disc. I'd get a few more if i knew where to get em. That said, I've thrown an recent run of just Champion and it flies similarly enough to my DDT King. Can't say for certain if I've thrown an 'older ' run though, sorry.

I cant help but, I will gladly like to learn the answers to the questions at hand.

I have had a few Cobra questions myself on the way to getting one in a premium plastic. That I still haven't bought...yet.

I used to use these all of the time. I actually found one of the old Champ Cobras. Even though it's Champ plastic, I can actually bend the disc completely in half! As for your question, I can answer number 4. I own both and the old school one that I own is a light-weight disc whereas the new school is a max weight. Considering this, they fly VERY similar to each other. I can't actually say they fly the same because of the different weights, but I would guess that they do.

Last edited:
PM 3putt. He knows.

I have a Team Innova Air Force stamped Star Ontario Cobra.

The sticker on the bottom says Star King Cobra.

1 - yes
2 - no. I can't link proof right now but it's a remake, the old mold wore out IIRC.
3 - I believe so but don't believe I've ever seen proof of that anywhere.
4/5 - very similar indeed, not worth hunting down OOP plastic if you don't already own them in my opinion.

The Cobra has been in my bag for a long time:)

Just came in to show off my new Cobra.

F2ProtoShark3_zpsc48ec225.jpg

If anybody has info on it, let me know.

First ace was a CFR Star Cobra from the Springfield DG Club.

An 'old-timer' at Innova East pointed me to them as a way to clean up my form when I was first starting out and I found the right Cobra mold in premium plastic by pure chance, maybe on the old PDGA forum, don't recall now exactly, but he was insistent that I get the 'right' mold. It's been on the wall since 06.

1) no. the factory store run was a Ontario Cobra, the King Cobra has a plus style rim that the FS run did not have. I have examined both carefully.
2) tooling was not the same. newer Ontario Cobras have www tooling in a third line below Ontario. the old cobras have two lines of text and then patent numbers on the opposite side
3)not sure
4)haven't bothered to find out
5) the old ones are flatter but at the end of the day you are just paying for the fancy plastic. don't buy them, save them for me!

Yeah. Tooling...forgot about that:doh::doh::doh:

Proof it's different (#2) is just as worldwide said.

@worldwide - My three factory store runs were all plus rimmed like my King Cobra. I guess I was unlucky? Have you gone through many? I was under the impression based on the rim, dome, tooling, and PLH that they were one in the same

I just confirmed through a correspondence with INNOVA that the "King Cobra" and the "Ontario Cobra" are the same mold peices and tooling, the KC was simply a rebrand of the Ontario due to the more stable flight path.

King Cobra and the original Ontario mold Champion plastic Cobras (that say "Multi purpose disc) are NOT the same.

I have been using Ontario mold champ cobras since they have been out, and have been wondering about the King Cobra . I just had one in my hands the other day and they are certainly not the same mold, the King Cobra is WAY domier.

I've owned two Ontario mold champ Cobras , I lost one somewhere in the ether (maybe stolen?) , and still use the other one. The two I have owned are VERY flat .

How do the new Factory store Ontario re-issues compare to the originals ? Are they close enough to be a suitable replacement ?

Latest posts