• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Opto River vs. GL River

wlkent

Decided to try discing down to work on my form and accuracy. The only driver I'm using atm is a 171 opto river. What I'd like to know is how does the GL river compare as far as glide and stability?

I think it depends on weight and PLH. Have several low 160's GLs that are all less stable than the 2 Opto's I've thrown. The pink 169 Opto I throw now is just a little less stable than my 11x KC Pro Teebird. It can be turned, but only in very strong winds. It always comes back under normal or moderate head wind conditions. What are you looking to accomplish, and what is your question?

The best answer I can give = I've owned a variety of rivers,mostly GL's,and the GL's are less stable,but glide more,the best turnover disc I've ever owned.

Out of the 4 GL's i've thrown,I think all of them were 171-172.

Opto to Opto: all are fairly similar in flight path vs weight. personally haven't seen any large dome variance in optos. They hold their Low Speed Stability (fade) even with a lot of wear and tear.

GL to Opto: Noticeably more glide on the domier ones. Noticably less High Speed stability (flippier) on the flatter ones.

GL to GL: The most weight dependent disc i've thrown. From 160 up to 178. Choose a lighter weight for understable goodness. Choose a heavier weight for dependable finishing fade. Get a flat 165ish and it'll be a hyzerflip/turnover machine. Get a domey 175 ish for glide-bombs or dependable sweeping hyzer shots.

I have stuck mainly with 175 to 177 and I am finding the opposite is true for these weights compared to most Gold Line versus Opto. Take into consideration that it is easy to turn a River, but I find it harder to turn a really heavy Gold Line versus an Opto.

Now, I have not often looked, nor cared, about PLH so I cannot comment if that had a factor in why my Gold Lines seemed a touch more stable than my Optos, but I can say this that all four of my 177 GL Rivers are from different batches. My most stable one is from the first day we had it in the store which is not even noticably different than the one I just bought three weeks ago from a "competitor." Even the Color Shift River I purchased two weeks ago has close to the same stability.

The only reason I keep my Optos around is because they are the best one-disc night disc ever made. I played a 151 hole marathon last January and the River was a God-sent, especially since I needed to keep moving to keep warm and did not feel like lugging around more than one disc.

I carry 3 Rivers. The main difference I can tell is the dome. Personally I prefer the domey ones. If you flip them on their top and compare a few you'll notice a pretty big difference. Flatter ones seem flippier and the ones with more dome are straighter with more fade.

Optos seem a bit straighter than the GL ones with all else being the same. Whereas the GL seems to have a touch more HSS and LSS and a bit more glide b/c of that.

I think the domey GLs are the best disc made, period.

I carry a 174 GL river.... Smoothest annies I've ever thrown. I knocked the fade out of it with plenty malicious abuse ;) But it started out relatively T-bird-like. Now it just holds whatever line I put it on (nearly perfectly stable, like a comet but way faster) and usually lands softly. Paired with my early opto striker, their the perfect compliment for each other.

I've only thrown a handful of optos, and prefer the Gold Line. But opto seems favored by some also.

I have a couple light weight (161,164), flat GLs that are super flippy. I have a 177 GL that actually kind of reminds me of a TeeBird. My main river is a 175 opto with a nice dome. Straight flying, and I would say more overstable than the GL rivers I have. My favorite disc that I own.