• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand Disc Selection

I doubt the dents affect much. And for the record, comparing PLH between different molds means absolutely nothing. PLH is accurate within the context of a single mold only.

kern9787 said:
I doubt the dents affect much. And for the record, comparing PLH between different molds means absolutely nothing. PLH is accurate within the context of a single mold only.

True, but they share the same bottom piece on the mold, so I thought it would be somewhat relevant.

Is this a good option for OH stuff? Trying to decide, so if it's not I can return it.

The top has a lot to do with the PLH not sure about the effect of the bottom of the disc on the PLH. Little plastic in the flight plate makes the disc top taut as a drum and flat pulling the PLH up. Comparing a Star Katana to a Pro shows that effect well.

JR said:
The top has a lot to do with the PLH not sure about the effect of the bottom of the disc on the PLH. Little plastic in the flight plate makes the disc top taut as a drum and flat pulling the PLH up. Comparing a Star Katana to a Pro shows that effect well.

That does make sense.

When I first got that C PD, it was beefy as mess and the PLH was higher. Now it's lower, and this new FB has a similar PLH, which makes me wonder if this FB isn't as beefy as I would like. But I understand that this isn't the way to tell.

fanter said:
Throw it and find out.

Great idea! :wink:

I picked it up and hoped you guys could give me some insight. If you guys think I should look for another disc instead of this one, I would like to return it...but I can't once I throw it.

Fightingthetide said:
This might seem hard to believe, but my flat C PD holds annys for a really long time, sucks in the wind, and turns really fast on OH shots. I flattened it a few months ago when it started to pick up some dome after getting pretty beat-up...doesn't fly the same.
You flattened it? So it wasn't a flat CFR C-PD to begin with?

jubuttib said:
Fightingthetide said:
This might seem hard to believe, but my flat C PD holds annys for a really long time, sucks in the wind, and turns really fast on OH shots. I flattened it a few months ago when it started to pick up some dome after getting pretty beat-up...doesn't fly the same.
You flattened it? So it wasn't a flat CFR C-PD to begin with?

No, it was flat...or at least very very close. And the PLH was really high compared norma C PD+. But not a CFR.

PS - totally kidding in my last post, lots of sarcasm there

Did it have the patent numbers? If it did then it's from the CFR run despite what the stamp would say, and should have been nice and overstable and relatively slow flipping when thrown OH. But then again trying to flatten a disc (when there's heat involved) can do many many things. For one it releases the tension in the plastic (I tried playing around with the dome on one of my Axes, it went from fairly stiff to almost floppy and the flight was completely different) and can alter a great many things about the shape.

that skip video is awesome, i've never seen somebody thumber skip a disc like that. they pulled 100+ discs out of the water at that course this week after the tourney. people were turning over FBs, Xcals, Bosses on the lake holes.

what discs finish with hard hard right skips more often? my FB gets more of a skip than the Surge I'm throwing but I can chuck the Surge much farther.

jubuttib said:
Did it have the patent numbers? If it did then it's from the CFR run despite what the stamp would say, and should have been nice and overstable and relatively slow flipping when thrown OH. But then again trying to flatten a disc (when there's heat involved) can do many many things. For one it releases the tension in the plastic (I tried playing around with the dome on one of my Axes, it went from fairly stiff to almost floppy and the flight was completely different) and can alter a great many things about the shape.

Yeah I think that's what happened. That'll probably be the last disc I flatten. It really didn't need it. I was just seeing if I could take out the tiny bit of dome and make it flat as a board.

Oh and I had people telling me it was a 3rd run and others said CFR...but it does have patent numbers.

new013 said:
that skip video is awesome, i've never seen somebody thumber skip a disc like that. they pulled 100+ discs out of the water at that course this week after the tourney. people were turning over FBs, Xcals, Bosses on the lake holes.

what discs finish with hard hard right skips more often? my FB gets more of a skip than the Surge I'm throwing but I can chuck the Surge much farther.

I used to throw skip thumbers like that all the time. I wasn't skipping off of water though. :lol: I did it with several types of discs though depending on the shot. Depending on how it hits, you can get an upside down slide that is mostly forwards, or any degree of skips off to the right. If I recall, the most important factor for it was the way it hit the ground, although the disc selection played a big role in that.

That round with the skip off the water was fun to watch as schwebby was up by like 10 with 9 holes to go so he just started dicking around. The hole before he threw a shot through a gap barely wider than a disc just to see if he could.

Fightingthetide said:
Yeah I think that's what happened. That'll probably be the last disc I flatten. It really didn't need it. I was just seeing if I could take out the tiny bit of dome and make it flat as a board.

Oh and I had people telling me it was a 3rd run and others said CFR...but it does have patent numbers.
Patent numbers = CFR.