• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand throw

iGniTe

I would say my specialty is throwing thumbers. I having been playing for a little over a month now, and was wondering what is the best disc for an overhand shot. Thanks

You will never find out what the best disc is when you ask a question like this. The only answers you'll get are what a person's favorite disc is for ___ shot. That being said, the Z xtreme for thumbers. Slow and crazy overstable in a tough plastic. Even though they are oop, I have enough for a lifetime supply. Still have my first one and it's still a big beefer. Mark Ellis made this excellent video, you should watch it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZQbxrr1v8. Be careful on using overhand and overhead around Ellis, he is a semantics stickler.

Well if you're looking for distance the best disc are the super overstable ones like the whippet and the flick. Pretty much the most worthless disc besides for thumbers.

I've thrown quite a few thumbers in my day, and for me the Lat64 Opto xXx BOMB's! That being said, any driver thats overstable should work pretty well.

the z flick is my personal choice. the z wildcat and the champ banshee also work well for me.

Well right now I am using my champion beast for my thumbers and my forehands. But I would like a seperate disc for each throw, because I can throw the beast well with a forehand, unless there are better discs out there for a forehand shot that I should be told about.

I have been looking around and found that some people really like the Epic. But then I see that some people hate it. Would the Epic be a good disc for me to try out, considering I am a begginer.

Probably not, though it never hurts to try. The Epic is not really that reliable of a tool, it can be quite fickle. But if you know how to throw it correctly it's easily the longest overhand disc there is, because it doesn't fly like any other disc when thrown overhand.

This is what it looks like when done right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BmaoV6IJg

But you probably won't be getting that flight out of it unless you practice your ass off.

It depends on the lines you need to hit on the courses you play, but out in the field it seems like the XXX was designed for bomber thumbers (which is funny because the guy who designed it doesn't even throw thumbers) and it kills everything else. I'm also happy to report that the newest run, although possessing a wee dome, still flies very well for thumbers.

Alright then, I would probablky go with the XXX then because I would have be able to throw my disc far and accurate rather than the epic which would be super far and inaccurate.

-iGniTe- said:
Alright then, I would probablky go with the XXX then because I would have be able to throw my disc far and accurate rather than the epic which would be super far and inaccurate.
It can be very accurate if you can throw it right. Most likely though you'd throw it shorter (or as long as) other discs overhead if you can't get it to flip completely, and perhaps sometimes could make it do it and it'd go way longer than you'd think. It has great possibilities, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Ville Piippo had one in his bag for some time and decided against keeping it because of the reliability. And he's one of the best over- and forehanders on the globe. (Though he can also throw normal discs way over 400 feet overhand so he might not have that much need for it anyway...)

adamschneider said:
I can't believe no one's mentioned the Champ Firebird. That's my overhand disc of choice.

The 12x ones shouldn't even be called firebirds, they flip way too fast to go anywhere overhand.

The longest discs for overand shots that I've found (other than the epic) are the ones that turn the slowest in the air and continue to penetrate. Whippet X, Z-Xtreme. Even my 11X firebirds turn faster than these, which yields a slightly shorter flight and different line. I carry two 11x firebirds and a champ whippet x in the bag for overstable backhand and overhand. I throw overhand a lot and it's one of the biggest strengths of my game.

I think champ banshees turn pretty slow as well, maybe even a bit slower than a firebird. Champ banshees are also easier to stock on, since whippets, 1.7. exp's and z extremes are a little hard to come by

I like the XXX Trident Vision combo

XXX for open bombs, Trident when accuracy is a priority, and vision when I want a quick cork and for it to come staight down.

the riot has potential to i am noticing. like a longer trident.

firebirds are also Legit. and I hear the whippit-X is really good but I have never thrown one

I haven't thrown a distance thumber in over a year, cause my shoulder just can't take it anymore. However, back when I threw them all the time my favorite was the Avenger ... I could get solid distance out of it and accuracy as well. Just my 2cents though ... obviously most people prefer something more overstable.

jsun3thousand said:
Be careful on using overhand and overhead around Ellis, he is a semantics stickler.

Hey, in my profession, I charge by the word. They better be the right ones.

Well, if you are going to throw the shot you should at least use its proper name. You might give your shot a complex or something. :)

There is a shot known as an Overhand Wrist Flip (sometimes called a chicken wing). An overhand is released at shoulder level.

A Thumber or a Tomahawk are released over your head and are therefore known as Overhead shots. They are not Overhands. Ok, if you really feel compelled to call it that go ahead or give it any name you like. Why not call it a putt? Or a backhand?

In the Discraft video on overhead shots somehow all my huge, towering, precision overheads got edited out. Some of them went well over 100 feet. I don't know how that happened. :lol:

It's a very rare situation where I throw a normal overhead (with a driver) nowadays. However I've been utilizing putter thumbers helluva lot lately. I love how they really don't want to turn over in flight, they just start straight and then glide sideways behind corners. Also works with tomahawks, just reverse the direction. I love throwing these shots, somehow it's much easier to accomplish with a putter than a driver. Turso will back me up on this.

jubuttib said:
It's a very rare situation where I throw a normal overhead (with a driver) nowadays. However I've been utilizing putter thumbers helluva lot lately. I love how they really don't want to turn over in flight, they just start straight and then glide sideways behind corners. Also works with tomahawks, just reverse the direction. I love throwing these shots, somehow it's much easier to accomplish with a putter than a driver. Turso will back me up on this.

Putters don't hide your overhead OAT (OHOAT). Stay away!

Latest posts