• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Overmold Assassin

Enforcerj027

Par Member
I picked up an Overmold assassin early this week and its an amazing stiff straight flying disc. It doesn't have a PDGA approval stamp and looking at their website it says the retooled assassin has approval. Does the overmold have it as well? I'm looking to play a tournament in June and would like to use it if possible.

Thanks

I don't believe the retool is the overmold. To my knowledge this isn't approved yet, but considering it has the same name and given previous retooling voodoo in the past it may be able to squeak by without needing to being re-approved. If you give that proto a few wacks on a tree it won't fly like that again. These proto assassins aren't very tough.

Thrown the traditional assassin?

Wait... What?

If in reference to my explanation. I think the retool is for when gateway released the Assassin again post quest in 2014 or so. Not the overmold.

Now they may squeak it in by some loophole in the rules.

so in other words... who knows wtf gateway is doing, owner included.

tinker here, tinker there, sell some wizards and a basket or two...

The retooled Assassin is definitely the Platinum run from 2014. The originals and retools are awesome. Overmold is awesome too. Although I'm pretty sure they plan to tweak the overmolds a bit more before pursuing approval. They'll eventually get it approved - they got it done for their lids.

I don't believe the retool is the overmold. To my knowledge this isn't approved yet, but considering it has the same name and given previous retooling voodoo in the past it may be able to squeak by without needing to being re-approved. If you give that proto a few wacks on a tree it won't fly like that again. These proto assassins aren't very tough.

Thrown the traditional assassin?

Nope this is my first assassin and I love it. I will be nabbing a newer model in the near future. I love how this thing fly's.

Well I have lots of assassins if you want to try the non overmolded version. As far as I know they haven't produced the production runs of the assassin...yet.

I picked up an Overmold assassin early this week and its an amazing stiff straight flying disc. It doesn't have a PDGA approval stamp and looking at their website it says the retooled assassin has approval. Does the overmold have it as well? I'm looking to play a tournament in June and would like to use it if possible.

Thanks

Where'd you pick it up at?

I bought some a while back but they were stiff as a brick and gross

Did yours have the proto stamp? I had some before the proto runs that were either glidelss or uber flippy. The proto runs fixed a lot of that.

I got a proto on Infinite, powered down its OS, actually throw it and its flippy as fudge. 169g. Since mine is a proto id guess its not pdga approved. But i dont know much about that, I just throw for fun.

I saw several overmold Assassins at PIAS in Roswell, GA this weekend. They looked good. If they get the solid PDGA approval (have they already?), then MVP/Axiom is going to have some strong competition...

Latest posts