• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Overstable apporach putter

Hey yall!

I'm looking for an overstable putter for 70-200' approach shots and short tee shots. I carry a Discraft Banger GT, an Innova Aviar and putt with a Gateway Voodoo and none of them are overstable enough to fill this particular slot in my bag.

I've looked at the P2 and P3 from Discmania, both seem like reasonable options. The Harp from Westside also seems like an option, and Gateway makes a couple that could fit the mold (pardon me) for this slot.

Anyone have a disc they love or swear by, have thrown any of these or have an opinion on this choice?

Thanks DGCR!

I guess this will be another "I throw thread" but I really love the Harp. I bet there is as overstable options that have a bit more glide in low speed?

The Rhyno seems great and the Pig close to the Harp? Anyone?

I prefer to use a Prodigy A1. It's more of a really short OS mid than a traditional putter style disc. Straight flight is not in the disc's vocabulary, which is why I like it.

I throw Harps more as a short overstable mid. Like a beefier shorter Roc.

A Scale is an excellent approach disc. Also, excellent Gateway plastics. It's a better Rhyno. Or its a Rhyno. It's very similar to a Rhyno.

Man, there are a lot of really good OS approach discs. I mean shoot - just look how spoiled we are!

Like beaded? Try the Harp. Like unbeaded? The Zone!

I really think Harps and Zones (and, to a lesser extent, Pigs) are too fast to be truly excellent approach discs for most situations and players.

255' out? Harps and Zones are perfect flex/hyzer approach discs. They have speed and are super predictable at power.
155' upshot to a bare dirt green? I want something deeper that flies slow, lands slow, and sits. Like a Rhyno or a Scale.

#imodrb

Last edited:
The Gateway Devil hawk could be what the op is looking for. The Devil hawk is overstable, not too fast and sits pretty well when it hits.

Hey yall!

I'm looking for an overstable putter for 70-200' approach shots and short tee shots. I carry a Discraft Banger GT, an Innova Aviar and putt with a Gateway Voodoo and none of them are overstable enough to fill this particular slot in my bag.

I've looked at the P2 and P3 from Discmania, both seem like reasonable options. The Harp from Westside also seems like an option, and Gateway makes a couple that could fit the mold (pardon me) for this slot.

Anyone have a disc they love or swear by, have thrown any of these or have an opinion on this choice?

Thanks DGCR!

I Highly recommend the Element Discs IRIDIUM or the Reptilian Disc Golf SCALE. Those really are perfect for a solid HSS LSS disc that's not like a zone or harp . Iridium is beadles, Scale has a bead. Currently I prefer the Iridium,

What I like about these is that they are SLOW, have low glide, and aren't bothered by wind too much. The slight thumbtack make tossing upshots comfortable. I really like them : https://infinitediscs.com/Element-Discs-Iridium

Last edited:
I'm currently using an Envy and Jokeri for these types of shots.

If you need even more fade, a Zone.

I really think Harps and Zones (and, to a lesser extent, Pigs) are too fast to be truly excellent approach discs for most situations and players.

255' out? Harps and Zones are perfect flex/hyzer approach discs. They have speed and are super predictable at power.

Sure, if one throws them full power.

But almost by definition, an approach shot is not going to be a full-power throw. Ergo, a well-thrown Harp or Zone throw at less than full power will "get 'er done" at the shorter distances.

Side note: spike hyzers at 100-150 ft. with a trusty Panther works well, also.

I should maybe mention that I throw sidearm as well as backhand, and this disc must do both.

I agree with ODRB, most discs are too fast to be true approach discs at distsnces under 175 feet or so. For a perfectly slow disc that is incredibly easy to range on BOTH forehand and backhand shots, look no further than the Kastaplast Berg.

Sure, if one throws them full power.

But almost by definition, an approach shot is not going to be a full-power throw. Ergo, a well-thrown Harp or Zone throw at less than full power will "get 'er done" at the shorter distances.

Side note: spike hyzers at 100-150 ft. with a trusty Panther works well, also.

And you can power down a Firebird or Xcal for a 150' hyzer too, but it has different characteristics and different ground play.

I'm going to go ahead an wager that the best players in your area throw their upshots with slow putters.

Slammer for out to about 225' reliable finish and justice if I need to go hard finish out to about 160'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with ODRB, most discs are too fast to be true approach discs at distsnces under 175 feet or so. For a perfectly slow disc that is incredibly easy to range on BOTH forehand and backhand shots, look no further than the Kastaplast Berg.

True, that Berg in the rubbery plastic is a beast that hits and sticks.
Have you ever compared it to Latitudes Caltrop?