• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable for the Shorter Stuff

Well it looks like it is a Zone vs Drone situation. I may start with the Zone since I do not have much stability in putters (Magic) and it should be able to handle shorter out-of-trouble situations I described. If I can't get it there with reasonable power, I'll step up to the Drone. The Drone is rated so overstable and as mentioned, I may be able to power down my Pred for longer shots. Locally, the wooded courses tend to be shorter and less windy so the Drone may be overkill.

Thanks for all the input.

J

Leopard said:
Ch Whippet - likely exactly what you're looking for

This is what you want. Champ Whippets are meat hooks and stay that way. I've been using whippets since I started playing and they are a very controllable and versatile get out of jail disc. I learned playing in the woods of Mississippi, so I can relate to bad shots going into the deep. Whippets will also give you a huge skip depending on the angle. Great spike hyzer disc as well.

My favorite use for my ch whippet is on forehand approaches through small gaps in the woods.

Leopard said:
i'd be all for Rhyno if you hadn't specified the skip aspects... they're gonna stick pretty nicely when they hit the ground.

other than that characteristic, the Rhyno would be at the top IMO.

Zone - plenty of Rhyno goodness with the ability to skip
E Blaze - super suitable readily available cheap alternative to a $35 (new) Ch Whippet
Ch Whippet - likely exactly what you're looking for

My thoughts on that one as well. If i want a skip I throw a pred, but the rhyno doesn't fit his description as well as a Z Wasp or similar.

Star Gator? VERY overstable. No bead (well, nearly invisible bead). Relatively short (they call it a mid, but it's a short mid, more like a putter). Not a huge skipper, but not sticky either. Readily available. If you've tried a DX and didn't like it the Star is a different disc.

Seriously no one has mentioned the gateway demon. This fits this spot perfectly in my bag the most consistent overstable midrange I have ever thrown, really overstable if you can get it in the evolution plastic of course gateway isnt known for their mold and plastic consistency though