• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overstable mid or powered down stable fairway?

To get better at those 70-100 shots, I would reccomend playing catch with a freind with a putter, and just messing around and throwing with different styles and lines and seeing what works well for you.

Is there ever a point where you take your legs out of the shot? I think my problem is just that I haven't been putting "traditionally" long enough to extend my putts out to my "0 reach-back" D; the point is, though, that there's a distance around 70-100 or so feet where I don't have a shot that is consistent. I can't quite putt that far, and I can't get my throw started from the point where I'd have little enough reach-back. I suppose a 3rd option would be "how much distance can you take off by reaching back or running up less?" Can you throw 80% at less than 100'?
I've never tried it, but it sounds needlessly difficult. You're probably better off finding a weaker grip or different technique at those ranges. I just use the technique and grip I naturally arrived at growing up when I played catch and Ultimate. I think this:

chickenonabun said:
To get better at those 70-100 shots, I would reccomend playing catch with a freind with a putter, and just messing around and throwing with different styles and lines and seeing what works well for you.
is probably the best way to go about it.

Excellent advice, it's a great way to get a bunch of reps in with different lengths and lines, and it's a lot more fun than throwing by yourself in a field. I do this to warm up before tournaments too, it's a nice way to loosen up and dial in approach shots.

I've never tried it, but it sounds needlessly difficult. You're probably better off finding a weaker grip or different technique at those ranges. I just use the technique and grip I naturally arrived at growing up when I played catch and Ultimate.

Sounds like I need to get my putting out to that range. I use a very weak fan grip when I'm working on that range. I also add distance to them with overly-out-of-the-way lines. And I play catch as much as I can (not as much as I'd like).

Any suggestions for an alternate technique? I don't think my Ultimate career was extensive enough. I was mostly a receiver anyway.

Anyway, it sounds like my problems are not related to working the hit backward? That at least makes it easier to know how to go about working that distance.

All things being equal, I would choose the mid.

But if I needed anything from a more prominent fade to a spike hyzer, I would power down the driver. Also if I wanted to play a skip on the landing.

I power down depending on the shot. The best example is wooded holes. I find that the harder I throw, the more likely I am to throw inaccurately, so on tight wooded holes, I'll often power down an understable fairway driver so I can get the line without having to put a ton of power into it. I also tend to do it with really overstable drivers when I want a short, low, hard right to left or left to right skip (depending on forehand or backhand). I find they handle that job better than a really OS mid or putter might.

Latest posts