• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paper-free tournament

Thinking this might be defeating my purpose for playing in the first place. Setting aside my luddite tendencies. A park full of cell phone toting, blue faced drones. :( Do we encourage live tweeting of the tournament experience to our thousands of "friends". More satisfaction to the instant gratification needs of those with a short attention span. :\ Players worried more about what other are scoring than their own game, distracted players in constant need of reminding they are out...you would have to likely develop an entire set of cell courtesy rules, to be called on one another. I see how well most people abide by common courtesty with phones now, not sure I want it encouraged in my outdoor, get back to nature time. And all you dang kids get off my lawn.

Scoring with a smartphone would defeat your purpose for playing? Ouch.

I like this idea because there is so much wasted paper at tourneys. This helps the environment. I might try this at the Seeded Doubles Showdown this fall.

I like solution based discussions so I'll add this hybrid option...

Concept:
How about scoring stations?

Maybe... every six holes? more/less? Idea is that the scoring station could quickly process those recent hole scores, get them "up" into the data pile quickly and gain some of the benefits (data mining for later, near time/improved time scoring updates) Scoring stations would for sure be well resourced for charged phones, network availability known pre event, spares, backups, etc.

Plus.. it could set checkpoints that would allow for scoring inconsistencies (cheating protection) to perhaps be ferreted out sooner than end of round.

I'd keep the paper card as the gold standard, but add in the scoring station data as a bonus.

Downsides: Person Power. One or two people dedicated to a task at any fixed location adds up for most small time tourneys as far as staffing. However, some bigger staffed events might not see it as a big deal.
If its every six holes of 18, that'd be three people, maybe 6 if done in duo teams. Maybe each has a folding table and might be teamed with a water station/hospitality feature which could increase your events "Service factor" if done well.

Last edited:
Yea you can :) Just one of four players needs a cell phone.
The problem is that scorekeeping duties should be equitably distributed amongst the foursome, and the 1 of 4 who owns the mobile device might not be comfortable with the other three (some of whom are likely strangers) holding a device which not only is his communication device, but holds a lot of personal info.

I bet you'd still be checking out all your scores from the website later and comparing them to your friends....
The later is not an issue. The NOW is what the issue is.

Concept:

Maybe... every six holes? more/less? Idea is that the scoring station could quickly process those recent hole scores, get them "up" into the data pile quickly and gain some of the benefits (data mining for later, near time/improved time scoring updates) Scoring stations would for sure be well resourced for charged phones, network availability known pre event, spares, backups, etc.

Plus.. it could set checkpoints that would allow for scoring inconsistencies (cheating protection) to perhaps be ferreted out sooner than end of round.

I'd keep the paper card as the gold standard, but add in the scoring station data as a bonus.

Downsides: Person Power. One or two people dedicated to a task at any fixed location adds up for most small time tourneys as far as staffing. However, some bigger staffed events might not see it as a big deal.
If its every six holes of 18, that'd be three people, maybe 6 if done in duo teams. Maybe each has a folding table and might be teamed with a water station/hospitality feature which could increase your events "Service factor" if done well.

This isn't a bad idea, the volunteer/manpower would be the only hindrance.

Concept:

The checkpoint system was used in the Estonian Open http://skoorin.com/?u=scorecard&ID=753 - for me a little bit annoying to wait while someone types up the scores during a round, kind of takes away from the rythm of the game. But I guess it's worth it.

I'm curious as to what point, if any, the scores are locked. Can a mischievous or disgruntled player sneak in and change them, at any point?

It's up to the administrator to decide if everybody can put in scores or only certain users or he can also designate a code to a pool so if you know the code you enter it and can start scoring.

Thinking this might be defeating my purpose for playing in the first place. Setting aside my luddite tendencies. A park full of cell phone toting, blue faced drones. :( Do we encourage live tweeting of the tournament experience to our thousands of "friends". More satisfaction to the instant gratification needs of those with a short attention span. :\ Players worried more about what other are scoring than their own game, distracted players in constant need of reminding they are out...you would have to likely develop an entire set of cell courtesy rules, to be called on one another. I see how well most people abide by common courtesty with phones now, not sure I want it encouraged in my outdoor, get back to nature time. And all you dang kids get off my lawn.

I personally wouldn't have time to check out how others are playing during a round. But as soon as the round is finished, that's pretty much all I wanna do.

I use the PDGA or Easy Scorecard app in my group for tournament scoring and the others in my group take turns scoring on the paper card. My electronic version is a good cross check with the paper card and catches errors maybe 1 in 4 rounds.

Oh yeah, two more advantages:

As you are typing scores in your phone it shows the current standings of your pool (John +5, Bob +3 and so on) and also it automatically puts the names in the proper teeing order for the next hole.

I use the PDGA or Easy Scorecard app in my group for tournament scoring and the others in my group take turns scoring on the paper card. My electronic version is a good cross check with the paper card and catches errors maybe 1 in 4 rounds.

The math is the best aspect of all this.

Saving the group from checking the card, saving the TD or staff from re-checking the card, and manually transferring scores to the scoreboard and adding those......

Some of the least-fun parts of tournament play.

I don't see how checking stations (1 every 6 holes) would slow down play that much at all.

The only paper I use at my tournaments is the score card. I have a lap top with a HDMI out put that I hook up to my 55" TV. All the leader boards are done on it. I run an excel program to sort scores and place groups on their holes.

I don't see how checking stations (1 every 6 holes) would slow down play that much at all.

Scoring stations where they take a photo or scan your scorecard are the ideal (USDGC does this). It takes all of 5 seconds and the group is on their way again.

JC,

With the scan stations, or picture stations as smartphones could do the same, paired with a laptop for entry.. (so you could see both at the same time)

How do they handle the "dude, is this a five or a two?". "your seven looks like a two, and is that a three or an eight?".

In other words, is there any specific need for proofing the interpretation on the card, or is that a non issue? Just curious if that's led to any issues.

JC,

With the scan stations, or picture stations as smartphones could do the same, paired with a laptop for entry.. (so you could see both at the same time)

How do they handle the "dude, is this a five or a two?". "your seven looks like a two, and is that a three or an eight?".

In other words, is there any specific need for proofing the interpretation on the card, or is that a non issue? Just curious if that's led to any issues.

Well, for all of the times I've seen the method utilized, these scoring stations were never considered official in any way. It was done primarily for people following along at home or spectators on the course to access on their phones. Any issues that arose with the unofficial scorecard were eventually corrected at the end of the round when the official card was turned in and verified.

It's a good reason why the idea of electronic scorecards doing any kind of official scoring updates instantaneously is problematic, IMO.

This is very nice.

We ran a weekly league using a complicated spreadsheet on Google Docs to track scores, calculate handicaps, and to figure the payouts (usually with a smart phone, but sometimes we were able to use a laptop). Many people kept score on smartphone apps, but the scores still had to be entered by hand at the end.

If this supported handicaps and payouts it looks like it would be perfect for that.

This is very nice.

We ran a weekly league using a complicated spreadsheet on Google Docs to track scores, calculate handicaps, and to figure the payouts (usually with a smart phone, but sometimes we were able to use a laptop). Many people kept score on smartphone apps, but the scores still had to be entered by hand at the end.

If this supported handicaps and payouts it looks like it would be perfect for that.

It does support handicaps and all different competition formats (ie leagues), not sure about payouts. http://skoorin.com/index.php?u=scorecard&ID=3453&locale=en