• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

People Opposed to Disc Golf...

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was in a meeting tonight where a local high school disc golf team proposed installing a short 9 hole practice course in the big park next to their campus. The kids drafted a great proposal, are working with the county gov't and doing things right. The woman in the following video was one of the NIMBYs who spoke. You can see the kids from the team in the background (immediately to her left). The County Supervisor is the one who stops her after she runs way over her alloted time.

There were more of these people, which I also have on video. I'm curious to hear reactions from disc golfers in other places to this video. We see this kind of thing often in California, but we're so far inside it that we lack the proper perspective. Isn't this woman awfully strange? What is her short circuit? Is my perception that she is a NIMBY (Not-In-My-Back-Yard) clothed in selfish faux environmentalism out-of-line?

Also, I'm so proud of those kids for being cool and respectful, they conducted themselves honorably and we're delighted to see them usher in the next generation of disc golfers!

disc golf is bad.
mountain biking is bad.
you are bad if you want these things.

unfortunately i've seen this all too much when i was prez of my local mountain bike club. they're argument is only the bunnies and green spotted tree frog can be happy. progress must be halted and we must all return to our native lands.

NIMBY, that is funny.

I can't see the vid right now but I can imagine the "Californianess" of this lady (no offense JHern). I think it's weird that what I imagine as a "hippy lady" is opposed to a "hippy sport".

I don't want to look at the nimby so i did not watch the video. I just reply to the name of this thread: Can go beep themselves :)

We've been dealing with this a lot in the north east and what I can tell you for certain is that its typically 1 or 2 individuals with some sort of an agenda or a hair across their ass. The fact that we acquiesce to some of these people is just another punch line in the running joke we all call Democracy.

This is not disc golf related but I live in a small town and we have 2-3 people that control much of what our city council approves and doesn't approve. They go to all the city council meetings, visit the council members during office hours, write weekly editorials to the local paper and on and on.

Id bet you are right she probably has a house that backs up to said park and doesnt want any more traffic in a public place that she has personal ties to. Hey lady get a life. Sounded like a 4th grade book report to me.

Were the majority of folks there in favor of DG? Haters gonna hate. I'd bet dog parks have more injuries reported to the emergency room.

Next thing ya know, mothers aren't going to let their kids play football :arrow: that's what happened to me and now I'm a frisbee nerd.

If you want a good argument against her, compare the huge environmental impact of ball golf courses vs the near-zero impact of disc golf courses.

Or compare it to any other sport. Disc golf is the least harmful of most anything. Most sports require water-intensive fields, at least. Or equipment that burns gas, or at least equipment that requires resources to produce. People playing disc golf might otherwise be playing soccer, or, for heaven's sake, BALL GOLF.

I like to guesstimate the environmental impact of things based on how much they cost. By this flimsy metric, disc golf wins, and prevents the building of more ball golf courses!

Typical Liberal.

A typical Republican is just the opposite: they can't wait to kill a species and cut down some trees to get what they want.

Stereotypes are fun...but...typical Liberal.

bents said:
If you want a good argument against her,

And there lies the problem. You can't argue with people like this. Or reason with them. Or talk to them. You simply can't reason with the unreasonable.

Only way to combat this is by example. This is why it's really important to treat our courses with respect. Pick up the garbage, don't bring alcohol to a park where it's not allowed, etc. People like this look like idiots to the town/city council when the council only sees disc golfers contributing. When the council only sees trash everywhere, trees torn down, and beer bottles in the garbage right under the "no alcohol" sign, this lady is heard and agreed with.

It's up to us to self police and make people like this look like the uninformed idiots they are through our behaviors and contributions.

I've seen this happen with some city council members here because one course here is not frequented that often by experienced players but the course is the most used sports place and place to hang around by the local youth and i love that Ville Piippo's wife likes to collect cans and bottles from the courses. She sets a great example.

discmonkey42 said:
It's up to us to self police and make people like this look like the uninformed idiots they are through our behaviors and contributions.

Pooping by their front door helps.

Disc Golf is less disruptive to the environment than any other sport you find in parks. Baseball, they have to clear trees to put a field in. The same goes for soccer. Ball golf, it requires many more trees to be cut than disc golf does. To oppose disc golf on environmental grounds is just silly.

you guys don't get it. it's not that disc golf courses have less impact than soccer fields. people like this are opposed to EVERYTHING.

Latest posts