• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phenix Bags

dgdave

* Ace Member *
There isn't a great thread on these. I remember a few things, but want to hear all the opinions. Mainly looking for ones on the full size bag, but any will do.

Does the bag sag with no internal frame?

Hey Dave,
I don't own one but two of my buddies just bought the larger bags (core bag customs) and they love um so far. I did not notice any sagging at all. They said they were lighter then the Innova competition bags they had. The rain cover is sweet and the rhino liner type bottom seems tough.
Like I said I haven't used one but have seem them in action quite a bit.

Link to the Phenix Thread started a while ago, but it sorta died out, has links to nice reviews of both Streamline and Core bags:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16300

I've never seen one in person, from what I've read the Line-X bottom makes the bag structurally rigid enough to suffice, and I have seen (on DGCR) somebody who put the Revo mini racks in either side of his streamline.

They really aren't terribly pricey bags, until you get into the add-ons. The Streamline starts at $75, and it appears to basically be a Chimp with another water holder and a bit more storage. A pretty good deal, but then you can get the color customized any way you want for an easy $20 bucks, then toss in a matching set of quads for a bargain $30, and you've come this far, why not Line-X the bottom for an extra $35, so the bag will outlive most players. Add $10 shipping and you've built a $170 monster of a bag!

They really look neat, Im surprised I don't see/read about them more often. I've been peeking at the Phenix store lately, and even sent them an email with a couple questions, I'm not sure whether to go Core or Streamline though.

Of note from the email I sent them, they have moved from the compression putter pocket on the Streamline to a more Core-like pocket, but if you do custom they could build it either way if you let them know.

colombo117 said:
Hey Dave,
I don't own one but two of my buddies just bought the larger bags (core bag customs) and they love um so far. I did not notice any sagging at all. They said they were lighter then the Innova competition bags they had. The rain cover is sweet and the rhino liner type bottom seems tough.

What colors did they get? If there are any Phenix bag users in the woodworks I would like to see the customs people have built.

I had kinda forgotten about the Phenix bags as I was thinking about future bag purchases but I think my next bag is definitely going to be the Streamline. I need two drink holders but don't need more than 15-16 disc capacity at the very most so the Chimp is the right size for discs but isn't a viable option. I'll just be getting the base $75 model so it'll save me $15 over getting the Silverback and avoid having that large of a bag.

JimW said:
I had kinda forgotten about the Phenix bags as I was thinking about future bag purchases but I think my next bag is definitely going to be the Streamline. I need two drink holders but don't need more than 15-16 disc capacity at the very most so the Chimp is the right size for discs but isn't a viable option. I'll just be getting the base $75 model so it'll save me $15 over getting the Silverback and avoid having that large of a bag.

I really like and respect GB products, I own a couple of his bags. But for the hard-on some people get over the great value of the Chimp I'm surprised the Streamline gets no love.

A couple locals out in Highpoint have the core w/ the liner on the bottom. Those things are bombproof, and the rain guard actually does a good job!

If I didn't have a revo, that would be my next bag purchase.

mason65 said:
colombo117 said:
Hey Dave,

What colors did they get? If there are any Phenix bag users in the woodworks I would like to see the customs people have built.

They got orange and black, and blue and grey. I should try and take a photo of them and put them on here.

Love my Streamline. For this particular capacity it is the best bag. Hands down. Mine is a custom build in all orange with umbrella straps added and Line-X bottom. It has the original putter pocket before the redesign. The custom bag builder lists 20 colors of cordura to choose from. The orange is 10 times brighter in person than on the bag build web page. Matching orange quads on it too. 8)

streamlinePutters.jpg

dgdave said:
Does the bag sag with no internal frame?
The streamline sags not at all with the line-X. I have seen very few Cores (also with line-X) but there didn't appear to be any sagging at the bottom.

Yeah, part of me wants to get one too. I like my Sim a lot, but some days, it can admittedly be a bit much to carry around. If you follow the links in there, you can see that I tried out my friend's Core for a while, and really liked it. I was actually on the verge of getting one, but then the next day Chris announced the release of the Simian.

The Core I was using was actually a prototype, so there may be some subtle changes now, but there were a lot of things I liked about it. It rode really well, the weight was nicely balanced. I liked the middle pocket, not just for weight distribution, but also as a nice divider, it's a simple way to keep discs organized and kept track of. I also liked that the middle pocket has an internal pocket in it. And as people mentioned, the thing was bombproof...the Line-X is a huge selling point for me, and was the inspiration for my Grizzly Grip on my Sim. And yeah, I only used it a couple times, but the rain fly worked well.

The only real drawbacks for me were that the storage capacity was limited, i.e. you might be able to stuff a hoodie in there, but it'd be tough, and that the bag felt heavy after a while. I think the weight was primarily due to the Line-X, but I think they put it on extra thick on the proto version. I'm not 100% positive, but I think they don't put it on as heavy on the production models.

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of the custom color options too. That was one part of the GB offerings I was really sad to see go away.

How's the weight compared to a Carolina?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a custom one with the matching quads.
How's the bottom without the line-x?

dgdave said:
How's the weight compared to a Carolina?
Whatever the weight difference may be, it won't even matter compared to the upgrade in comfort on the Core when you're carrying it on quads.

dgdave said:
How's the bottom without the line-x?
Hard question to answer since everyone gets the line-x option.

Before I was buying, Kyle at Phenix was more than happy to answer a bunch of these kinds of questions I had over the phone. Just call the customer service line on their webpage.

Jaysus said:
Is the new Streamline pocket similar to what the Core has?
the new version has the same putter pocket as the core, yeah

I'd love it if some people could find some pictures of some of the different colors available. I just don't trust the shades shown on the bag creation page to be accurate.

I snagged a hardcore modular bag off here which I should have soon. Saved me a good chunk of change. I'll post some reviews in a couple weeks.

I just got my bag in and its flipping NICE.

I do have one queston for phenix owners, how does the main compartment lining hold up? It seems very thin. Other than that, it seems built like atank. The line x is crazy thick and stiff.

figured i would just revive this old thread rather than start a new one.. But to the point does anyone know where i could get a streamline? the phenix site is out and seems to have been for awhile.. ive done some searching and found jack.. thanks for any info

I thought I would share my experience with my new Phenix Core bag. It is falling apart!

The zipper on the mini pocket slid right off because the end of the zipper was not secured and the putter pocket (Core bag has attached putter pocket) is coming loose on both sides at the top. The clip on the sternum strap also had a large piece snap off but it still snaps for now. Seems like a lot of problems with a bag that has only been on partial duty for a couple months.

I emailed them at the only contact email on the website on Monday and have not heard anything in response, included pictures of everything mentioned. Will update if I hear back from them. I know personally, I would want to hear this sort of thing if I were on the market for a bag.

The bag looks like it is built to last forever but I think the sewing on this one was just not up to par.